Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Hotel Charges For Outside Food Or Drink Brought To Your Room !

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

This is happening at the Queen Wood Hotel in Phnom Penh. It's a 3* Riverside place that goes for about $35/night.$10 corkage for a bottle of wine or a case of beer and $5/plate of food. I've never seen such a thing. How about you ? Here's a link to the thread on Cambodian Expats Online: http://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/gene...oom-t5909.html
Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Or you could get an opaque box or paper bag.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Food smells...food stains on linen, food falling behind a not-to-easy to access area (behind a heavy bed for example) and the waste or container goes in the bin that sits in the room till the cleaner goes in the next day. We are more than happy for guests to bring their own food into our hostel and we will even supply them with plates and cutlery but we are in the minority with that. Almost all budget back packer hostels in Cambodia have strict no outside food AND drink policies.
A couple of guests at that hotel have died this year, it really is ground zero for sex tourists.
perhaps better in either of these >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia-460/
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/budget-travel-597/

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 5, 2015 at 11:37 pm
Old Aug 6, 2015, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Seen at Fairmont Monte Carlo too:

http://www.tripadvisor.fr/Hotel_Revi...nte_Carlo.html
Old Aug 8, 2015, 1:05 pm

No Problem

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
This is happening at the Queen Wood Hotel in Phnom Penh. It's a 3* Riverside place that goes for about $35/night.$10 corkage for a bottle of wine or a case of beer and $5/plate of food. I've never seen such a thing. How about you ? Here's a link to the thread on Cambodian Expats Online: http://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/gene...oom-t5909.html
No problem for me. I stay at several small hotels in Europe that say this and I just get what I want in a plastic bag, put it in my computer bag, eat in my room, place the garbage in the plastic bag, take it outside in my computer bag, and throw in a public trash can.

Works for me.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 2:38 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
Stay at a better hotel comes to mind.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 3:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I saw this at an expensive resort in Bodrum, Turkey. In principle, they were charging the prices that the hotel would have charged for F&B not purchased on the property, including even bottled water that didn't come from their overpriced gift shop, the minibar, or room service. It seemed excessive in that they threatened to charge for empty water bottles that were found in the room, even if the contents had been consumed while walking around elsewhere.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 4:16 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

A step further, I was not permitted - as in, the check-in trog nabbed the bottle right from my bag - to take one of the complimentary bottles of water from the Grand Millennium Sukhumvit (Bangkok) off premises.

For those that are thinking "well it wouldn't have happened if the bottle was hidden," straw man, for sure.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL DM and 1.5 MM, UA GM, HH DM
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
A step further, I was not permitted - as in, the check-in trog nabbed the bottle right from my bag - to take one of the complimentary bottles of water from the Grand Millennium Sukhumvit (Bangkok) off premises.

For those that are thinking "well it wouldn't have happened if the bottle was hidden," straw man, for sure.
having stayed at this place multiple times, and doing the same thing, with no issues, what reason did they give you for this? Just curious
Old Aug 10, 2015, 1:14 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Asiaflyguy
having stayed at this place multiple times, and doing the same thing, with no issues, what reason did they give you for this? Just curious
"Hotel property"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.