Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Best business class experience for a flight to LHR?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone... Long-time lurker, first-time poster here...

I'll be travelling to London in October and the company policy allows us to fly business class on long flights. I'm no jetsetter, so my business travel is mostly domestic within Mexico and it's always economy since no flight is long enough to merit business class according to company policy. This will actually be my first time flying business.

Given the opportunity, what airline/plane would you recommend? I'll be flying via USA and practically any major hub is an option that doesn't affect my schedule. These are the options I've seen so far:

British Airlines 747-400
British Airlines 777-200/300
United Airlines 767-300/300ER
United Airlines 787-8 Dreamliner
American Airlines 777-300ER
Delta Airlines 767-400
Virgin Atlantic A330-300

Which of these airline/airplane combinations offers the BEST business class experience according to your previous travels?

Thanks!
Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:54 pm

My choice would be VS. Virgin is nice, good seats, and has great lounges. I like BA but it depends on the seat (and you'd have to pay for it).

I have no issue flying any of the US carriers and would likely prefer Delta for the VS lounge in LHR and UA for the seat. I suspect the AA seat is very good but haven't flown the 777-300 for a while so can't comment.

Last edited by erik123; Aug 4, 2015 at 4:00 pm
Old Aug 4, 2015, 4:20 pm

I always fly Delta when I can ^
Old Aug 4, 2015, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
If you're not worried about miles toward a program in any particular alliance then I'd most definitely choose VS from that list. BA would be second and wouldn't even consider the US carriers.

How about AC? It's not really any less convenient for connection compared to NY connections on a US carrier. I'd say AC third to VS and BA.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

NZ's Business Class service from LAX to LHR is said to be very good.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Travel Gabe
I'll be travelling to London in October and the company policy allows us to fly business class on long flights!
I would be looking at the schedule: arrival & depatures times

Is freq flyer miles a consideration? (this is Flyertalk ) http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html
Old Aug 4, 2015, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA (PLATINUM), HHonors (DIAMOND)

VS would be my #1 choice
UA would be my last choice
Old Aug 4, 2015, 8:57 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.

I would choose the AA 777-300 and select a seat in the forward mini cabin in business.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 9:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I also vote for Virgin Atlantic. Great lounges and excellent seat design.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 9:32 pm

My vote is for the BA 747. Flown it a number of times and love it. Also love the lounge.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 10:00 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
I'd say it all depends what you are looking to get out of the experience.

For personal space (almost first-class like in terms of seat configuration and privacy) in a business-class cabin, American's 777-300ER cannot be beat, especially the mini cabin. Business class is in the same configuration (1-2-1) as the aircraft's first-class cabin, although the seats are not as luxurious or spacious and there's no turn-down service.

You can see a good review with photos here:
American Airlines Business Class New York-London – Review

For ground services, lounge, and food, I'd probably say Virgin Atlantic would be the airline for you, from the Virgin transfer to the airport, to the Upper Class Wing at LHR, to the Clubhouse (unquestionably a lounge I'd come early to spend more time in). It's also a "fun" airline to fly on.

You can see a review (this one by me) here:
Virgin Atlantic Airways Upper Class Flight 9 London-New York – Review

I hope this is helpful.

The above reviews appeared in FBT, where I serve as ed.dir.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by jspira

For personal space (almost first-class like in terms of seat configuration and privacy) in a business-class cabin, American's 777-300ER cannot be beat, especially the mini cabin. Business class is in the same configuration (1-2-1) as the aircraft's first-class cabin, although the seats are not as luxurious or spacious and there's no turn-down service.

For ground services, lounge, and food, I'd probably say Virgin Atlantic would be the airline for you, from the Virgin transfer to the airport, to the Upper Class Wing at LHR, to the Clubhouse (unquestionably a lounge I'd come early to spend more time in). It's also a "fun" airline to fly on.

I hope this is helpful.

This strikes me as an excellent analysis. I haven't flown Delta or Virgin, so can't speak from experience regarding their trans-Atlantic business products. But American is far superior to United or British Air in terms of the spaciousness, privacy and all-aisle access of its business class seats for LAX-LHR. And from what I can tell, it has the best seats of any carrier going across the ocean from the West Coast to LHR.

I can't speak much to the trade-off between American and Virgin, however, beyond saying that jspira seems to know what s/he's talking about. All I'll add is that Virgin might well have better flight attendants, given how uneven American's can be. On the other hand, if you want to accrue some frequent flyer miles, American's are much more useful than Virgin's.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
VS for business. BA if you could get into First Class (which also offers the Concorde Room for departure). UA would be last, though if connecting or returning from LHR, the UA lounge in LHR 2 is surprisingly nice.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:34 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jspira

I hope this is helpful.

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
This strikes me as an excellent analysis. I haven't flown Delta or Virgin, so can't speak from experience regarding their trans-Atlantic business products. But American is far superior to United or British Air in terms of the spaciousness, privacy and all-aisle access of its business class seats for LAX-LHR. And from what I can tell, it has the best seats of any carrier going across the ocean from the West Coast to LHR.

I can't speak much to the trade-off between American and Virgin, however, beyond saying that jspira seems to know what s/he's talking about. All I'll add is that Virgin might well have better flight attendants, given how uneven American's can be. On the other hand, if you want to accrue some frequent flyer miles, American's are much more useful than Virgin's.
Thanks for the compliment (and I'm a "he").
Old Aug 5, 2015, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for the replies. That's what I love about this forum, helpful comments are only a post away

My principal frequent flyer account is SkyTeam's Aeromexico so Delta would be a winner if considering miles, but I want to take this opportunity to try other airlines/alliances and not blindly bind myself to a SkyTeam member.

Quick follow-up question: Why is it that no one chose UA's Dreamliner? I've never flown in one, but it was at first my top pick since it seems to be the newest aircraft of the list.

After reading all your comments, I'm now pretty sold on VS...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.