Wiki Posts
Search

She has miles and he has miles

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR

My travel companion and I have miles in our respective accounts. But how do we reserve tickets on the same flight? The first ticket might be the last for the number of miles that we have accrued.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 4:23 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Welcome to FT, do a dummy booking for one ticket and note the miles required. Then do a second dummy booking for two tickets and note the miles required. If it works call the airline as the CSA can see the miles needed and set up two PNRs at the same time then book, pulling miles from the accounts.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 4:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life

You could call CS and have them book your award seats might have to pay a slight fee. Or put one ticket on hold depending on the airline then book the 2nd one.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Which FFP? AAdvantage allows free, five-day holds on most award bookings. And BAEC shows the total number of (low-tier) award seats available on its oneworld partners (including AA).

If your particular FFP does not offer a free hold, does it offer free award cancellation within 24 hours?
Old Aug 4, 2015, 9:07 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
dreaming....welcome to FlyerTalk!

If you could share with us which airline's frequent flyer program is involved, we Moderators could move this to that specific airline's forum on FlyerTalk, where, in addition to the help so far from our members, you'll likely get detailed "how to" answers from those who have a lot of experience with that airline's program. Ocn Vw 1K, Co-Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 5:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I've very often booked a series of tickets from different accounts for the same flight(s). Check overall availability and then act fast.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:16 am

Programs: United 1K (Star Alliance Gold) IHG Platinum
Hate to say this, but if you have status with the airline in question, the answer will be more consistent.

On my 1K United line, they've jumped through hoops with some crazy travel requests. However, if you call the main line, it's hit and miss. My general rule is to call back at a later time if you don't get a person you like.

Overall, you are MUCH better off booking this through the airline and NOT online. It's worth any fee you have to pay for your peace of mind and assurance that all will work out.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 7:19 pm

Programs: DL
If one-way bookings are an option, I book the outbound using my miles and the return using my husband's. Burns the miles from both accounts but keeps us on the same itinerary.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your help. The two coming up are United and American. We have close to a one-way ticket in each of the four.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 7:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Be very careful about booking a one way award ticket and planning to purchase (with money) the other direction. This can be very expensive, especially for international.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Be very careful about booking a one way award ticket and planning to purchase (with money) the other direction. This can be very expensive, especially for international.
Normally I would agree, but Norwegian has half price one-way fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.