Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Some Int'l Airports do not allow Duty Free alcohol purchases for flights to the U.S.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Some Int'l Airports do not allow Duty Free alcohol purchases for flights to the U.S.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2015, 5:53 pm
ndc
Original Poster

Question Some Int'l Airports do not allow Duty Free alcohol purchases for flights to the U.S.

Just joined FlyerTalk. A couple of days ago, before boarding UA 88 from Beijng to Newark, I visited the airport duty-fee shop, and decided to buy a bottle of whiskey. At check-out I was asked to show my boarding pass (as usual) and then told that United does not allow the purchase of duty-free alcohol. The cashier simply said: this is because of airline regulations. Has anyone had the same experience? This is the first time an airline prevents me from buying a duty-free item at the airport shop.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 6:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
It'll be cheaper in the US anyway. Duty free is a ripoff.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Welcome to Flyertalk! ^
Unless there is some China related regulation that I'm not aware of, that sounds highly unlikely to me.
Did you have a connecting flight from EWR? That would be the only issue, although even then you could simply add the booze to your checked in luggage when you reclaim it before going through customs at EWR.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
True.

No liquids beyond the Kippie bag are allowed on U.S. bound aircraft. Same rule at HKG for flights on CX to the U.S. No duty free liquor.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
True.

No liquids beyond the Kippie bag are allowed on U.S. bound aircraft. Same rule at HKG for flights on CX to the U.S. No duty free liquor.
Agreed - no liquids, duty free or otherwise beyond the baggie.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
The only duty free bargain I've seen lately was at APW. $16 for 1 liter of Bombay Sapphire gin.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 7:26 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
I had a similar experience as the OP in HKG last month. This is clearly a China-Hong Kong rule. No similar rule exists in Japan and in South Korea they deliver the duty free to the airplane.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:02 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Must be a China thing. It is not a UA rule at all. And elsewhere in Asia and Europe, I've never had a problem. In Japan, you just carry it with you.

FWIW, EWR even allows duty free through connecting security so long as it's in the right type of bag with tamper protection. You don't even have to recheck it.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by exerda
FWIW, EWR even allows duty free through connecting security so long as it's in the right type of bag with tamper protection. You don't even have to recheck it.
This is a new USA/TSA allowance as of a few months ago, not just EWR! ^
Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:26 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
This is a new USA/TSA allowance as of a few months ago, not just EWR! ^
Indeed, though I've only tried it successfully at EWR. The key is to have the vendor use the bag (can't recall the specific terminology for the tamper-proof bag, though).
Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
But sometimes you can buy things at Duty Free you can't buy anywhere else (e.g., Jack Daniels Sinatra).

Originally Posted by exerda
Indeed, though I've only tried it successfully at EWR. The key is to have the vendor use the bag (can't recall the specific terminology for the tamper-proof bag, though).
If you want to have some fun, when you are done with the transaction and the liquids are bagged, ask for a spare security bag. They literally freak out. The bags themselves are very tightly controlled.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mh3265a
I had a similar experience as the OP in HKG last month. This is clearly a China-Hong Kong rule. No similar rule exists in Japan and in South Korea they deliver the duty free to the airplane.
Probably more like a US-rule for flights departing China and HKG - I have taken Duty Free liquids on an LX-flight departing HKG with no questions asked. Also from PVG with LH, but that was several years ago, but I have not heard from anyone that this has changed.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Jul 2, 2015, 8:10 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by cranky1K
Agreed - no liquids, duty free or otherwise beyond the baggie.
True . . . although I thought one could buy duty free in HKG, PEK, etc. and then collect the items at the aircraft door. Never tried it myself, but thought that was available . . . but you definitely can't bring any liquids (even airside) past the aircraft boarding check (even, say, a soda from the Air China lounge).
Old Jul 2, 2015, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Not only I wasn't allowed to buy a drink from Beijing, I was also told I couldn't buy a small snow globe because of the liquid in it!
Old Jul 2, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by cranky1K
The only duty free bargain I've seen lately was at APW. $16 for 1 liter of Bombay Sapphire gin.
If you look closely and at the right products (whisky especially), you can find deals at some airports. I picked up a Nikka 15 at NRT in December for $47. Turns out they have it at my local grocery store, but it'd be $180 to get it out the door. (It's worth solidly twice what I paid, but not much more than half what they're asking.)

I'm also helped by living in a state with a ~30% liquor tax.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.