Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Some Int'l Airports do not allow Duty Free alcohol purchases for flights to the U.S.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Some Int'l Airports do not allow Duty Free alcohol purchases for flights to the U.S.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2015, 4:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by ndc
Just joined FlyerTalk. A couple of days ago, before boarding UA 88 from Beijng to Newark, I visited the airport duty-fee shop, and decided to buy a bottle of whiskey. At check-out I was asked to show my boarding pass (as usual) and then told that United does not allow the purchase of duty-free alcohol. The cashier simply said: this is because of airline regulations. Has anyone had the same experience? This is the first time an airline prevents me from buying a duty-free item at the airport shop.
You will find a great deal of useful information on FT but the issue has nothing to do with UA and UA does not prohibit duty free. This is an airport-specific issue for flights headed to the US and applies to other carriers as well.

Last edited by goalie; Jul 3, 2015 at 4:39 pm Reason: Unhelpful comment removed
Old Jul 3, 2015, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by Often1
You will find a great deal of useful information on FT but the issue has nothing to do with UA and UA does not prohibit duty free. This is an airport-specific issue for flights headed to the US and applies to other carriers as well.
Exactly - and thank you for putting it much more nicely than I would have....

Last edited by goalie; Jul 3, 2015 at 4:39 pm Reason: edited quoted post to match edited original post
Old Jul 3, 2015, 4:41 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
As this subject applies to additional airlines other than United, I'll move the discussion over to TravelBuzz

goalie
UA Forum Co-Moderator
Old Jul 3, 2015, 11:56 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
But sometimes you can buy things at Duty Free you can't buy anywhere else (e.g., Jack Daniels Sinatra).

If you want to have some fun, when you are done with the transaction and the liquids are bagged, ask for a spare security bag. They literally freak out. The bags themselves are very tightly controlled.
Just order online. Being in Montana in the summer where prices are high, we get our supply via FedEx.
http://www.liquorama.net/jack-daniel...hiskey-1l.html
Old Jul 4, 2015, 12:42 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I've priced (mostly Coqnac) at duty free in LHR, CDG and ZRH--in NYC area, I can buy most for less than df.
If you do a Google search, I've found liquor stores that will ship items at MUCH less than df; some don't even charge sales tax*, but DO charge shipping [if you order enough the shipping is small per item.]
Since they ship to your door: (1)you don't have to drag liquor through airports, (2)no issue if you have a connecting flight AND (3)since the df limit is 1L, you couldn't buy that much df in any event!
*Many states expect you to declare the lost sales tax on your state income tax form (if there is one).
Old Jul 4, 2015, 12:43 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by exerda
What about TPE?
Don't know about US bound flights but for flights to Asia and Europe, they sell you alcohol without restriction.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 10:21 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
I bought a bottle of Haskushu 12 and Hibiki 17 in the duty free at Narita before getting on a United flight to Denver. No issues there and a deal since exchange rate is in favor of the dollar (prices dont seem to have been raised much even in the airport over the last couple years, you just cant buy the good stuff anymore )
Old Jul 5, 2015, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
I got hit with this leaving PVG the first time I came here. Surprised me, but now after living here for a while I've come to realize why. In PVG (and SHA and possibly others), there is no inspection of liquids until you're at the gate and ready to board. They also don't have the sealable type duty free bags either. This may be the reason for not selling liquids above 100 ml to US bound flights.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 11:04 am

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Originally Posted by exerda
What about TPE?
Definitely brought back duty free 1L bottles (my wife and I) on the return TPE-SFO in January. No issues.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If you attend to serve yourself from your own liquor, the FA's should tell you to stop. This is not allowed.

Only airline provided alcohol can be consumed during a flight.
I believe the rule is that the FA must be the one serving you the alcohol (you can't serve yourself) but you can give the FA (non duty free) alcohol to serve you with (e.g. a miniature of your favourite scotch you brought in your liquids baggie).
Old Jul 7, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by emma69
I believe the rule is that the FA must be the one serving you the alcohol (you can't serve yourself) but you can give the FA (non duty free) alcohol to serve you with (e.g. a miniature of your favourite scotch you brought in your liquids baggie).
Under the FAA reg, that is correct. The U.S. flight attendant manuals, which must be approved by the FAA, and once approved are enforceable as an FAA reg, dictate that only airline supplied liquor may be served by a flight attendant.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
True.

No liquids beyond the Kippie bag are allowed on U.S. bound aircraft. Same rule at HKG for flights on CX to the U.S. No duty free liquor.
Originally Posted by cranky1K
Agreed - no liquids, duty free or otherwise beyond the baggie.
Originally Posted by drewguy
True . . . although I thought one could buy duty free in HKG, PEK, etc. and then collect the items at the aircraft door. Never tried it myself, but thought that was available . . . but you definitely can't bring any liquids (even airside) past the aircraft boarding check (even, say, a soda from the Air China lounge).
Actually, it has nothing to do with TSA rules anymore. It is a local airport prohibition.

"Bottles must be purchased in duty-free shops overseas, and they must be placed in "secure, tamper-evident bags" (also known as STEBs) that are subject to screening by the TSA."

http://www.wheretraveler.com/tsas-ne...y-free-alcohol
Old Jul 7, 2015, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Actually, it has nothing to do with TSA rules anymore. It is a local airport prohibition.

"Bottles must be purchased in duty-free shops overseas, and they must be placed in "secure, tamper-evident bags" (also known as STEBs) that are subject to screening by the TSA."

http://www.wheretraveler.com/tsas-ne...y-free-alcohol
Don't think so. HKG has the tamper proof bags and sells duty-free liquor post-security screening. They just won't sell it on flights to the U.S. No problem on flights elsewhere.

Furthermore, the flights to the U.S., including on CX, have a secondary inspection prior to boarding and all liquids >100ml are removed. That doesn't happen on non-U.S. bound flights.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat

As others have noted, this is a China-only rule. I've never been hassled purchasing duty free liquor at FRA or LHR for USA-bound flights. Normally don't bother as the savings is minimal, though I make an exception for the Scotch at LHR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.