Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What would you do? Take a Bus for 5+ hours or wait 10+ hours for the next flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What would you do? Take a Bus for 5+ hours or wait 10+ hours for the next flight?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2015, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card

It was the last flight from LAS-LAX. The airline (for some reason) did not allow 40 PAX to board the flight. All the PAX were put up in hotels (paid by the airline) and were to be put on flights the next morning. The airline did not offer a bus option (and I understand that).

My question is simple. What would you do? Like the ABC-TV show.

I think it would have been far cheaper for the airline to transport these PAX from LAS-LAX in a Luxury Coach for the 5 hour journey and refund the airfare.

Or give them the option for the free room and meal voucher and travel the next morning (if seats were available). (This was the only option the airline offered).

It would be the PAX decision. What would you do - if given the choice?

I know airlines do this from LAX-SAN all the time (due to the curfew rules in SAN), but that is a much shorter trip.

Also, does anyone know why the airline would not board the 40 PAX. The flight left with the 40 seats open. Could it be the 113 degree temps in LAS? Perhaps weight and balance?
Old Jun 27, 2015, 8:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
It sounds like the temp was too high; much less lift at those temps. I remember sitting on an old America West jet on the tarmac there waiting for the sun to go down so it would cool down. The air con wasn't really keeping up....

If it was 6 pm or earlier and the bus was available immediately, I'd probably take the bus. But who knows how long it would take to set up a bus?

I once had an airline limo me down from Newburgh, NY to EWR when the plane went MX. Think it was UA. Went fine, except for the a-hole New Yorker who kept trying to tell the driver what route to take. What a maroon.

Last edited by Doc Savage; Jun 27, 2015 at 9:03 pm Reason: Damn you, autocorrect.....
Old Jun 27, 2015, 9:00 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by kettle1
My question is simple. What would you do? Like the ABC-TV show.
I'd order a bunch of cabs and get those passengers moving. AA did that with my LAX-SMF flight a few months ago when we diverted to FAT because of a mechanical. Only a 3 hour road trip in that case, but glad to not have spent the night in Fresno. Initially we were told they were arranging a bus, but that must not have worked out and they changed to Plan B. They arranged some fixed price ahead of time and needed 5-6 cabs.

The might actually come out ahead with cabs when you factor in hotel and meal costs, and more so if they have to move passengers to another carrier if they don't have enough space of their own the next day.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 10:45 pm

Would have made more sense to rent a bus + driver.
But those decisions are often driven by availability and insurance issues (in case something goes wrong)
Old Jun 27, 2015, 10:51 pm

Programs: Delta, United
It would depend on what I had to do the next day and what I could find to do that night.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 2:40 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
"What would you do?"

For me, luxury and coach should never be in the same sentence.

I would spend the night in the hotel, but book a later flight leaving the next afternoon.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE

Bus = never, and I mean never, lol. I'd be waiting until the following day or on the phone looking at other airlines but I wouldn't go anywhere near a 5-6 bus ride.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
I don't get miles or segments from a bus ride.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by krlcomm
Bus = never, and I mean never, lol. I'd be waiting until the following day or on the phone looking at other airlines but I wouldn't go anywhere near a 5-6 bus ride.
A UA plane is basically an uncomfortable, but faster, version of a bus. Take the plane's speed away and the bus wins hands down
Old Jun 28, 2015, 4:38 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
AA in South Florida

There have been many times AA has used Supershuttle to move people to other cities in Florida like Orlando, Tampa, SW Florida when they went MX. Maximum 10 per van and on demand as they are the On Demand Airport Shuttle in MIA. Also, when the passengers have missed their late night connection from South America/Caribbean. They usually will arrive in Orlando around 3 in the morning instead of having to wait for the first (if there is room) flight the next day which is around 10 am. They still can get some sleep and be ready to go to the theme parks instead of arriving mid day and having their plans completely shot.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 6:17 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
On several occasions in the past, my home airport was fogged in and the final flight connection had to return to LAX. The choice was a luxury bus for 3-1/2 hours or an overnight in LA at our own expense since they offered alternate transport. I always took the bus but petitioned UA for the full ticketed mileage and got it. I got home 3 hours late but it was worth it.

Anyone who says "never, never" a bus has never been on a decent luxury coach, any of which offer much more comfortable seating than even domestic first on an RJ.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 7:31 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Doc Savage

I once had an airline limo me down from Newburgh, NY to EWR when the plane went MX. Think it was UA. Went fine, except for the a-hole New Yorker who kept trying to tell the driver what route to take. What a maroon.
Don't you usually call users out for these types of comments?

I suppose the other side of me could say "my ears are burning...," 'cept that I've never been to Newburgh.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 7:36 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by Jeannietx
For me, luxury and coach should never be in the same sentence.
Don't know about where you are, but in Asia lots of "luxury coach" seats are miles more comfortable than any Economy/Premium Economy seat.

Example, Willer Bus (Japan):

Old Jun 28, 2015, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by krlcomm
I don't know what ac we're talking about, but in what way is a 10 hour wait for an RJ superior to hopping on a bus with more leg room and being at your destination in half the time?
Old Jun 28, 2015, 8:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
I think it depends on a lot of variables. Earlier this month I took a five hour bus ride from 0800 to 1300 over a 45 minute plane flight that left at 0615 (meaning I would have had to be at the airport at 0530 meaning I would have had to get up at 0400). My connecting flight was at 1550 so taking the plane would have meant hanging out at the airport for seven hours (no lounges until check-in which only opened at 1350)--a VERY uncomfortable proposition in my view. The bus was fine--relatively empty, so everyone had two seats--and I was able to read some and sleep some. And that doesn't include the three extra hours I got to sleep in my own bed. I suppose I could have paid for a day room plus the taxis to and from the hotel but that all adds up. So yes, sometimes the bus beats the plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.