Honeymoon panic - worst possible time

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Honeymoon panic - worst possible time

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2015, 5:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
A mugging (the way most people envision it) is a completely different animal from a pickpocket or a purse snatcher, but that's neither here nor there. I'd take normal precautions with my bags and/or wallet in any tourist environment, but it wouldn't deter my travels.

From what I've read today, foreign credit cards are being accepted. The Euro limit at ATMs is *not* being imposed on foreigners, *if* you can find an ATM without a queue that still has cash in it. Perhaps possible inside a hotel?

The biggest concern is fuel. Lots of photos/videos of queues, but I don't know if that's a panic that will subside in a few days or a genuine shortage of fuel getting into the country.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:29 am

I paid $900 for my flight from LAX-ATH and that was not even in peak season and booking months ahead (that same flight was $1400 about 3 weeks prior to departure date), it was end May which is considered shoulder season so what you are finding is actually a great deal... typical prices to Europe from North America during peak season are around $1000-1500
Old Jul 1, 2015, 3:56 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
A distinction without a difference, if you ask me, given the identical impact on your wallet.
Yes, but a mugging is more likely to have an impact on you psyche at a minimum and has the potential to cause you real physical harm. It is also easier to reduce your chances of a purse snatching/pickpocketing than a mugging.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again to all of you who offered advice and comments. I have taken them all to heart. And even tried to act on them.

Long story short, despite the fact that it was a great price, the tickets are not booked, and may not be. Although, if it were me making the trip, I'd love to be in Greece right now.

Bride continuing to make changes in plans, so I'm stepping back, and stand ready (within limits) with credit card when/if things ever get settled. Wedding is 3 weeks away, so have no idea how it will all play out.

Thanks again, to all of you!
Old Jul 13, 2015, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
A mugging
From what I've read today, foreign credit cards are being accepted. The Euro limit at ATMs is *not* being imposed on foreigners, *if* you can find an ATM without a queue that still has cash in it. Perhaps possible inside a hotel?
The ATH airport ATMs seem to have no problem, so I am told by my friends over there.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by txflyer77
^

Always assume your trip will cost 50% more than you expect. In that context, a $100-200 difference in airfare on an international trip shouldn't throw your budget out of whack.
Don't forget that using Heathrow as a connection adds up too, with their hideous departure taxes. A marked difference between via LHR, vs. other Euro-hubs or nonstop.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Plan on paying a lot of cash for taxis to/from Greek airports. There are starting to be reports of gas stations being closed, with the open ones accepting only cash. If they're renting a car, this should be taken into account.
Only rent cars in Athens if you are going further into the mainland. The public transportation is sufficient for being in the city and nearby areas.

Also, the airport taxis do have surcharges for two things. Late night and the wee hours of the morning, for one. They really get you, if your flight leaves before 9am. The subway doesn't start operating from the city until 530am.

The taxis will also charge a surcharge for any bag that is larger than a rollerboard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.