Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Honeymoon panic - worst possible time

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2015, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Honeymoon panic - worst possible time

My daughter is panicking over honeymoon flights to southeastern Europe/Greece in late July for about 3 weeks. She needs a mileage run fare, or close to it, at the worst possible time.

We’ve been checking all the usual OTAs, flight maps and this forum several times daily, and can’t get below ± $1000-$1100 CAD to nearly any destination in Europe, especially those below. Would like to max out at ± $700-$800 CAD if possible.

We are continuing to search, but are also asking anyone if is willing to help in the search. Here are the details:

Wedding is July 25, in Nova Scotia, Canada. YHZ is preferred departure point, but willing to position to YUL, YYZ, BOS, NYC, IAD, using Aeroplan miles, depending a bit on the taxes. Dates are somewhat flexible, as is length of trip:

Jul 27/28/29 ex N/A – OTP/SOF/ATH/SKG/IST
Aug16/17/18 ex SEE, preferably an open jaw, to avoid backtracking.

We have also been looking at arriving at a gateway city, and using an LCC to move deeper southeast, but, of course, this brings the price back up.

I know it’s asking a lot for this help, and am aware that this is a real “beg-it” post, but we’re running out of time.

We would be most grateful if anyone would give us a hand with this.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 7:50 am

Programs: DL*DM/AA*G
If she really wants to go there on her honeymoon, WTH is the problem in paying ~100 to 200 CAD more? And you probably don't want a MR fare, bc that involves creative routing, layovers and/or stopovers which isn't exactly what I'd like to do on my honeymoon.

Cheapest I found was around ~600€+ for YYZ-ATH (on Hahn Air Services whatsoever) or ~620€+ on Delta to Madrid from where you could (a) make a multi-hop trip to greece via Italy e.g. or just go directly there with Vueling. Don't know if easyJet flies there.

Issue with an open-jaw back to YHZ is that most fares FROM YHZ are probably pretty expensive. IME the fare on the inbound leg was always the same as if you were flying the inbound reversely.

Last-but-not-least, if money is such a big issue, go all-in and wait.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the quick reply! All your points are good ones, but money really is an issue, so the search continues. Also, can't wait, as by mid-August, possible job issues come into it.

We'll check into the places you mention, but right now, with the €/CAD exchange sitting at ~1.3, € prices are a bit intimidating. Would have been nice to have had this done when the € was weaker.

I have done a lot of mileage running myself, and find that all the fuss and bother is part of the fun. I think my daughter realizes that to save a few bucks, they'll have to suffer some inconveniences, and don't seem to mind that.

Thanks again for the reply, it's helpful, and we'll follow-up.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: AC SE, SPG Plat, FPC Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
As a concerned parent, if 100-200$ is going to break the bank, I would advise to:
1) cancel the honeymoon
2) postpone the honeymoon
3) travel to another destination, accommodations/dining will cost a lot in Europe, unless they plan to stay in hostels and eat at fast food, which defeats the point of a honeymoon int he first place, but to each their own.

I wish your daughter a wonderful wedding
Old Jun 25, 2015, 2:29 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Hi karns- While I understand your predicament and wish your daughter and loved one the best, this isn't truly a mileage run, so it honestly doesn't really fit here.

I am moving this thread to the Travel Buzz forum, and hope that you find additional great advice there.

-18sas
Moderator, Mileage Run forum
Old Jun 25, 2015, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 18sas
Hi karns- While I understand your predicament and wish your daughter and loved one the best, this isn't truly a mileage run, so it honestly doesn't really fit here.

I am moving this thread to the Travel Buzz forum, and hope that you find additional great advice there.

-18sas
Moderator, Mileage Run forum
OK, sorry , it's the panic. Based on these replies, and additional research, am working it all out within the family!
Old Jun 25, 2015, 3:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
$1100-ish CAD for a summer R/T to Europe seems like a reasonable deal. The $700-800 range seems unlikely for July...that's more of a shoulder-to-low season fare...October timeframe.

Did she just decide at the last minute that she wants to do this? Little late to be looking at July fares to Europe *and* expecting amazing deals. I'm certainly not the resident expert on every Canada-Europe route/market, but it seems to me like you're seeing some decent value considering the destinations and dates involved.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 3:15 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Can she shorten the honeymoon to save money at the destination(s)?

Or could she still cut back on certain wedding expenses, such as flowers? Have cheaper wine at the reception? Eliminate any open bar?

Is trip insurance needed and is this included in the budget?

I agree that these fares look good compared to what I would have expected at this time of year.

You might try to be smart about the plane tickets and look at routes that are currently quite competitive, such as MAD, or think about flying from/through some other carrier's hub.

Also, think about using a good real live travel agent who is willing to look for cheap fares. There might be some packages out there that would work. Would a cheap cruise with airfare cost less that planning to stay on land, even though doing this would mean losing the ability to choose the itinerary details?
Old Jun 25, 2015, 3:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

Or could she still cut back on certain wedding expenses, such as flowers? Have cheaper wine at the reception? Eliminate any open bar?

Is trip insurance needed and is this included in the budget?
Shortening their trip by a couple of days would make up that different in hotels and food alone. And they wouldn't have to worry about hopping around Western Europe for a day and half to get to where they need to go.

Have you considered other airlines like Condor into Frankfurt?

Or why not gift her the difference or just wait for the wedding cards to roll in. Sounds like the easiest route to be honest.

They plan to travel to one of the most expensive parts of the world for about 3-1/2 weeks. Compared to hotels, food and entertainment costs in Europe, there are better ways to save a few hundred dollars than on a long, drawn-out flight.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Really, the prices you are quoting seem pretty low for tickets in the highest season and at the last minute. If they want to go there they need to get tickets NOW. I sincerely doubt you'll find anything cheaper.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
+1.

We're talking about a 3 week trip to Europe here. The airfare is probably the #3 driving factor on a trip that long: lodging and food/drink/entertainment costs are going to surpass it. The $200-300 gap per person between original plan (which was too optimistic IMHO) and what you're seeing now represents maybe 2-3 days at the destination, max.

They'd do an 18 day trip instead of a 21 day trip, and it would still be awesome.

Don't mess around with multiple PNR's, repositioning flights, or (heaven forbid) a mileage-run-worthy routing. Just fly one-stop to Greece and enjoy the honeymoon with as little IROPS risk as possible!
Old Jun 25, 2015, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to respond to my desperate cry.

All very good points. Those of you who have been in the throes of wedding-land will know that logic and planning are often the first casualties.

Anyway, I've done more looking, and have found a decent OJ fare that fits the plan (FYI, YHZ-ATH-OTP-YHZ, $1188 CAD). We'll kick in some of the money, and hopefully we can move on to some of the other imminent details.

FT has been a go-to place for me since Trvl4free started this whole mileage run business, years ago, and I can't think of a more valuable community.

Thanks again, everyone, for the advice and good will.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 4:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Your plan sounds wise. Direct flights, no hassles.

Check the Hotel Deals forum to get back a little of the cash.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Really, the prices you are quoting seem pretty low for tickets in the highest season and at the last minute. If they want to go there they need to get tickets NOW. I sincerely doubt you'll find anything cheaper.
Agreed
Old Jun 25, 2015, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
+1.

We're talking about a 3 week trip to Europe here. The airfare is probably the #3 driving factor on a trip that long: lodging and food/drink/entertainment costs are going to surpass it. The $200-300 gap per person between original plan (which was too optimistic IMHO) and what you're seeing now represents maybe 2-3 days at the destination, max.

They'd do an 18 day trip instead of a 21 day trip, and it would still be awesome.

Don't mess around with multiple PNR's, repositioning flights, or (heaven forbid) a mileage-run-worthy routing. Just fly one-stop to Greece and enjoy the honeymoon with as little IROPS risk as possible!
^^^ People tend to freak out about the cost of airfare because they see it in one amount. Add up your hotels over time and put them in one lump sum. Do the same for meals, events, sight-seeing, etc. That will put the cost of airfare into proper perspective.

+/- $200 on a 3 week honeymoon in Europe falls under the category of "don't sweat the small stuff".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.