Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying with a baby... with miles

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2015, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Flying with a baby... with miles

I know that when you fly with a baby (usually less than 6 months old), most airlines do not require you to purchase an additional ticket. Obviously as the baby gets older eventually they need their own seat.

If you are flying with miles, how does this work? Do you need to purchase an additional miles ticket for a baby, or is it the same thing as flying normally -- your miles ticket covers the infant baby as well?
Old May 29, 2015, 11:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by liketoflyalot
I know that when you fly with a baby (usually less than 6 months old), most airlines do not require you to purchase an additional ticket. Obviously as the baby gets older eventually they need their own seat.

If you are flying with miles, how does this work? Do you need to purchase an additional miles ticket for a baby, or is it the same thing as flying normally -- your miles ticket covers the infant baby as well?
Wow, lot's of misinformation here.

On most airlines, the cutoff is two years. Under that, you have the option of either taking the kid as a lap infant or buying a seat for the kid. There are different policies if the kid turns two during the trip.

It's normally only free for domestic (USA?) trips. Anything international requires a TICKET, usually for 10% of the adult fare PLUS all fees (which can be huge).

A few FF programs let you use miles for the lap infant ticket. You can always use miles to purchase a regular adult ticket for the kid, but some carriers might not permit certain car seats or might require you to hold the kid for takeoff and landing.
Old May 30, 2015, 1:56 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE

Would one drive a car without having a baby buckled up? Why would one not buckle up a baby on an airplane? Very dangerous.
Old May 30, 2015, 6:27 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
If you are flying with a lap baby you must let the airline know ahead of time - call the airline to add the lap baby to your record (PNR).
Old May 30, 2015, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

It's normally only free for domestic (USA?) trips. Anything international requires a TICKET, usually for 10% of the adult fare PLUS all fees (which can be huge).
For the fees, that depends. My last trip, on Air France (EU-Asia), I only paid 10% of my own fare, without any taxes, not even the 1 EUR ticketing fee on airfrance.com.
Last trip on miles, it was 10% of the lowest available fare in the same cabin as the parent. (On AF, only in Y, Premium Y and J. In F/P no infants on lap, you must buy them a seat)
Old May 30, 2015, 7:19 am

Policies vary greatly by airline. A while back, we had two business class awards on Air NZ and tried to tack on an infant ticket, and were quoted 10% of a full, unrestricted business fare.

But I called back and got another agent, who apparently didn't realize we were in biz, and we paid a rather more reasonable 10% of an economy fare instead. The issued infant e-ticket even said "economy", but we tried our luck at the airport and it was no problem.
Old May 30, 2015, 11:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jpatokal
Policies vary greatly by airline. A while back, we had two business class awards on Air NZ and tried to tack on an infant ticket, and were quoted 10% of a full, unrestricted business fare.

But I called back and got another agent, who apparently didn't realize we were in biz, and we paid a rather more reasonable 10% of an economy fare instead. The issued infant e-ticket even said "economy", but we tried our luck at the airport and it was no problem.
You were lucky. In most cases, the party would have missed the flight while airport agents tried to correct and properly issue the baby's ticket.
Old May 30, 2015, 1:46 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite

This blog post is a pretty good starting point for the above issues and others related to traveling with a baby.

http://mommypoints.boardingarea.com/...h-lap-infants/

There are variations in policy among airlines, as you can see. If/once you know what airline(s) and mileage programs you might be using, you can figure out the particulars.
Old May 31, 2015, 6:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 747FC
Would one drive a car without having a baby buckled up? Why would one not buckle up a baby on an airplane? Very dangerous.
I don't think he's planning on flying the airplane.

Lap children often/usually have additional lap belts. Some airlines will allow babies in car seats if you choose to buy an additional seat, but not all airlines and not all cars eats. Again, the question is not about buckling up but whether niles are needed to buy a seat.
Old May 31, 2015, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Again, the question is not about buckling up but whether niles are needed to buy a seat.
I guess we can agree to disagree as to the intent of the OP. Perhaps I misread. However, the title of the thread is "Flying with a baby," not, "Flying with a > 2 year-old." And the OP goes on to say. "as the baby gets older eventually they need their own seat."

It just amazes me that parents allow their babies to be potential projectiles by not purchasing (via money or miles) a seat for their babies and properly restraining them in an approved and safe device.
Old May 31, 2015, 8:41 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
I don't think he's planning on flying the airplane.

Lap children often/usually have additional lap belts. Some airlines will allow babies in car seats if you choose to buy an additional seat, but not all airlines and not all cars eats. Again, the question is not about buckling up but whether niles are needed to buy a seat.
US airlines do not allow lap belts of infants. Other countries airlines do not allow a lap child to travel without a lap belt.

Two different philosophies.

Lap belt = infant more likely to be injured by being compressed by adult even in very mild turbulence, but other passengers not subjected to projectile infant.

No lap belt = other passengers more likely to be injured by projectile infant, but infant much less likely to sustain serious injury in most circumstances.

Infant in car seat = safest way for everyone.
Old May 31, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
US airlines do not allow lap belts of infants. Other countries airlines do not allow a lap child to travel without a lap belt.

Two different philosophies.

Lap belt = infant more likely to be injured by being compressed by adult even in very mild turbulence, but other passengers not subjected to projectile infant.

No lap belt = other passengers more likely to be injured by projectile infant, but infant much less likely to sustain serious injury in most circumstances.

Just a question - how many cases were when infants actually become projectiles due to an accident?
Old Jun 1, 2015, 5:26 am
Suspended

It just amazes me that parents allow their babies to be potential projectiles by not purchasing (via money or miles) a seat for their babies and properly restraining them in an approved and safe device.
Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
I'm not disagreeing with you, just pointing out that not all airlines will allow all types of car seats for babies/infants.

I would imagine that >90% of babies travelling are in laps (based on my experience as a father and frequent traveller.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 12:09 pm

I'm not disagreeing with you, just pointing out that not all airlines will allow all types of car seats for babies/infants.

I would imagine that >90% of babies travelling are in laps (based on my experience as a father and frequent traveller.
Which leads to incongruous behavior: The warm and attentive parents, doting over their cute kids, but completely oblivious or willfully ignorant of the risks.

It is almost like they have done a cost analysis and determined that they are willing to risk their child's life because the extra paid seat statistically won't make a difference: After all, how many infants die/are seriously injured during plane crashes/turbulence that would otherwise survive if in a seat?
Old Jun 1, 2015, 4:06 pm
Suspended

After all, how many infants die/are seriously injured during plane crashes/turbulence that would otherwise survive if in a seat?
Again, whilst I'm not looking for an argument, is there any published data that supports either side? It would seem to make sense, but I wonder why it has never been enforced anywhere, and babies/infants <2 years old are almost always lap travellers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.