Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is getting(or not getting) upgrades important to short people?(under 6')

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2015, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

I've never thought about this before... but it seems like I'm the *only*
one among my friends/family/co-workers who remotely cares about
getting upgrades. Almost all of them are short(under 6').
Old May 22, 2015, 3:30 pm

This is perhaps one of the advantages of being on the smaller side. I'm 5'9" and rather slender so I really don't get much value out of domestic first class. I remember my first Spirit flight and having heard about how terrible the seat pitch would be, but realizing it really wasn't all that bad at all. I could still stretch my legs out completely if I didn't put anything below the seat in front of me. I probably would have had a very different experience if I was over 6'.

I wouldn't say I don't care about upgrades; I enjoy them and appreciate the extra space, but I'm sure I don't appreciate them as much as someone taller would.
Old May 22, 2015, 3:43 pm

Programs: Ex-5C club, Skymiles Gold

I am 5'11" and don't really consider myself short but I do however care significantly about upgrades as it is always nice to be able to relax a little during the flight.
Old May 22, 2015, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

I'm under 6 feet. I wouldn't call myself too cramped in coach, but enjoy the extra space to relax, the ability to recline without feeling like I'm moving into someone else's chest space, and also like the fact that there are refreshments/snacks/meals depending on length of flight. If I cared about F class so much that I needed it, I'd find a way to spend the extra $ to buy it, but definitely value an upgrade.

Last edited by emcampbe; May 22, 2015 at 7:16 pm
Old May 22, 2015, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold

Yes. I'm under 6' and although I'm not very big guy my shoulders are wider than a standard coach seat. So the extra seat width with a upgrade is a real benefit. Add in drinks, food, carry on space and yes, upgrades are important to "short" people.
Old May 22, 2015, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I'm 5'6 and I do care about upgrades. They are one of the variables I consider in my selection of carriers.
Old May 22, 2015, 4:47 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Well, I don't know everyone would think of 6' and under as "short" as that adjective is somewhat subjective; and the average US male height is 5' 9.5" which is about where I'm at.

But in any case I don't need a lot of legroom to be comfortable usually (though I've never tried 28" on Spirit for example) - the seat padding or design is as important probably...certain seats I just can't seem to get as comfortable in for whatever reason. So not getting an upgrade isn't that important, though I appreciate it when it happens as the extra width and seat features (e.g., bit more recline), and sometimes the meal, are still nice to have.
Old May 22, 2015, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
There are many advantages to a premium cabin, and seat pitch is just one of them. Seat width matters to most, even skinny folks. Plus service, food, drink, baggage allowance, expedited security, and so on...

But even as far as seat pitch goes, I'm 5'8", and my coach legroom disappears as soon as I put my personal item under the seat in front of me. And if I'm not in the front cabin or in a premium E+/MCE/exit seat, I can forget about using my full size laptop if the fellow in front of me reclines even a little bit.

So yes, upgrades matter.
Old May 22, 2015, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold
Seriously? Yes, of course upgrades matter.

I'm 5'8", and hate having to rub shoulders, or bump elbows on the shared armrest constantly.
Old May 22, 2015, 5:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
I'm 6'0" and it makes a huge difference, although my torso is 5'8" and my legs are 6'4".

Above about 34" of pitch recline matters more than legroom though.
Old May 22, 2015, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Originally Posted by emcampbe
I'm under 6 inches.
You must be the person for whom economy seats are designed!
Old May 22, 2015, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Giggleswick
You must be the person for whom economy seats are designed!
Whoops...just corrected that.
Old May 22, 2015, 10:08 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I am 6'1" and stocky. In a 17" wide economy seat I am likely to contact my neighbor with my hips, elbows, and shoulders. In a 31-32" pitch seat my knees are usually wedged against the seat-back in front of me. Getting an upgrade means a lot to me because of my size. But plenty of people who are significantly shorter than me appreciate upgrades, too. My DW and MIL are both about 5'3", which is plenty short to fit in economy, but they have leg problems that make it painful for them to sit with knees bent for long period of time. In an upgraded seat they can stretch out their legs and tolerate sitting for a few hours. As a result we all purchase business class tickets whenever the price premium over coach is reasonable.
Old May 22, 2015, 11:01 pm

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
Originally Posted by kyee
Seriously? Yes, of course upgrades matter.

I'm 5'8", and hate having to rub shoulders, or bump elbows on the shared armrest constantly.
This exactly. I'm 5-10 and have more than enough leg room. But the seat width is a killer. I'm built a little wide and can't stand to be touched for any length by strangers, so of course I love upgrades.
Old May 23, 2015, 12:26 am

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG

I am only 5 ft 4 but upgrades make a huge difference because all my travelling is long haul and never less than 20 hour journey (usually 24 to 30) so upgrade means a chance to sleep. Don't care about better food or drink.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.