Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Commercial Flight overtakes ?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2015, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Commercial Flight overtakes ?

This is my first posting on Flyertalk. I noticed that on the sector HKG-DEL, CX695 leaves HKG 17:45 and arrives in Delhi at 21:25. AI-315 leaves HKG twenty minutes later at 18:05 but arrives in DEL 21:10 (15 minutes early).
Are there any other instances of commercial flights schedules that involve an overtake?
I have taken AI-315 many times but have not witnessed it overtaking CX695. Perhaps some sharp eyed flyer has the pics to capture the moment of overtake.
Thx
Old May 20, 2015, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

What aircraft type on each flight? (Some have faster cruising speeds than others.) And some airlines "pad" their schedules more than others.

If one overtakes the other, let's hope that they flying different routes -- or at least, different altitudes!
Old May 20, 2015, 11:33 pm

Programs: NZ*S
A quick look at flightaware and it looks like its just differences in the amount of schedule padding going on, there is no actual overtake.

CX usually arrives on-time or early, AI usually late, sometimes on-time.
Old May 21, 2015, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by SpannerSpinner
A quick look at flightaware and it looks like its just differences in the amount of schedule padding going on, there is no actual overtake.

CX usually arrives on-time or early, AI usually late, sometimes on-time.
I think you hit it right. Many (most) airlines have become quite inventive in their published schedules so that they can claim "99% of our flights arrived on time!!!" even if on time means 12 hours from LAX to SFO (according to the schedule).

It also gets away from some of the EU penalties for flights arriving late.
Old May 21, 2015, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
I flew TAS-UGC a couple years ago.

An Antonov24 flight left about 15 minutes before us, buy my A320 flight managed to beat it to UGC by a solid 20 minutes
Old May 21, 2015, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Flying from LHR to SFO on UA in a 777 and listening to ATC, the BA 747 flying the same route was lined up 3 or 4 aircraft behind us on the runway. It arrived at SFO 10 minutes before us.
Old May 21, 2015, 6:57 pm

Programs: QP Life, AA Nothing, QF Bronze
Originally Posted by suhailmn
Are there any other instances of commercial flights schedules that involve an overtake?
Well, back in the old days BA 1 would regularly overtake other flights going from LHR to JFK. But then again, it was traveling at Mach 2.
Old May 21, 2015, 11:53 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I flew TAS-UGC a couple years ago.

An Antonov24 flight left about 15 minutes before us, buy my A320 flight managed to beat it to UGC by a solid 20 minutes
Yea, but AN-24 is a turboprop and the A320 is a jet. The AN-24 used less fuel though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.