Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Meeting up with other lone travellers...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Meeting up with other lone travellers...

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2015, 5:31 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
Originally Posted by livingforever
Ha, I did wonder the same thing. Perhaps I just lack the confidence to go over to the other side of a bar in a strange hotel and approach someone sitting by themselves and say "Hello, can I come and sit and talk to you, I'm booooored!"

Perhaps I'm making a huge assumption when I imagine that most people sitting on their own eating or drinking at a table away from everyone else, reading a book, probably don't want some random Brit coming and annoying them!
If they are....
" on their own eating or drinking at a table away from everyone else, reading a book, probably don't want some random Brit coming and annoying them!"

Ummm, yes in the above scenario they are making it pretty obvious they prefer to be left alone.
Old May 20, 2015, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
Even if such an app were not intended as a hookup forum, I think that's what it would quickly be hijacked for... and be dominated by males on the prowl. Very difficult to calibrate it otherwise.

The real answer, I think, is hotel public space / environmental design. Create opportunities for connection with seating, tables, and lounge architecture. In the US, Courtyard by Marriott is upgrading its public spaces along precisely these lines.
I was going to say, is this not the point of Hyatt Place/Fairfield/Courtyard/Aloft hotels and their open gathering spaces?

I actually really like and (dislike) this open area concept.

Like:
-When you need the space to eat, spread out, drink, meet, and really anything that is being loud.

Dislike:
-Being bored staring at my phone watching other groups of coworkers who obviously know each other dominate these areas.

I really just try and isolate myself from the commotion if there is a conference or event going on in town or at the hotel. You are going to feel like an outsider not having a good time when you see them. Especially when you have to go to work, and they are all going to a conference and networking.
Old May 21, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by callum9999
I'm certainly not accusing you of lying, but I find it incredibly hard to believe that your work's insurance policy is invalidated if you stay in a hostel! How exactly does that work - the insurer provides a list of hotels you're allowed to stay in?

If you like the posh hotels then great, but don't be surprised that the type of people often attracted to posh, soulless hotels are posh, soulless people!
My company has clear policies on where you can and cannot stay. You seem to have a big misconception of the people who stay in posh, soulless hotels!
Old May 21, 2015, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA SILVER!! (After 7 years of trying...)
Originally Posted by You want to go where?
My company has clear policies on where you can and cannot stay. You seem to have a big misconception of the people who stay in posh, soulless hotels!
Indeed! If I had no soul, would I be so keen to find someone to share my lonely, company-paid beer with me?

Old May 22, 2015, 2:29 pm

Programs: United, American, Southwest, USAirways, Delta
Originally Posted by livingforever
Ha, I did wonder the same thing. Perhaps I just lack the confidence to go over to the other side of a bar in a strange hotel and approach someone sitting by themselves and say "Hello, can I come and sit and talk to you, I'm booooored!"

Perhaps I'm making a huge assumption when I imagine that most people sitting on their own eating or drinking at a table away from everyone else, reading a book, probably don't want some random Brit coming and annoying them!
I think most travelers who make the effort to go to a public restaurant/bar by themselves would likely enjoy some company. If they wanted to be by themselves they would probably get takeout and eat in their room.
Old May 22, 2015, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by pittpanther
I think most travelers who make the effort to go to a public restaurant/bar by themselves would likely enjoy some company. If they wanted to be by themselves they would probably get takeout and eat in their room.
In that, I would disagree. If I am very tired, I will get room service and eat in the room, but I almost always will go to the bar or restaurant of a hotel to dine, rather than eat in my room, even if the only thing I want to do is sit and read a book (Bear in mind, where my travels take me, carry out is either not an option, or at least not a safe one, or is inaccessible for other reasons). Unlike those who feel uncomfortable being alone in restaurants, I enjoy it.

However, unlike the OP I am also not at all averse to striking up a conversation with someone else at the bar and do not need an app to do it. A brief but non-controversial comment on what is being shown on the television or the weather is almost always safe as an 'icebreaker'.
Old May 22, 2015, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by You want to go where?

However, unlike the OP I am also not at all averse to striking up a conversation with someone else at the bar and do not need an app to do it. A brief but non-controversial comment on what is being shown on the television or the weather is almost always safe as an 'icebreaker'.
You are like my husband. He can talk to anyone anywhere. He loves going off on his own when away on business and chatting to people at a bar or wherever. Years ago he started chatting to some random dude in the lift of his apartment building and got to talking about bikes. They ended up going for a ride. It ended up being Keanu Reeves in Sydney making a movie. He had no idea who he was.
Old May 22, 2015, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by pittpanther
Sorry, wrong. If I'm alone and hungry I go to a restaurant and eat. I'm not hiding in my room. And I'm not looking to be a solution to some lonely soul's problem.
Old May 23, 2015, 9:54 am

I'm certainly not accusing you of lying, but I find it incredibly hard to believe that your work's insurance policy is invalidated if you stay in a hostel! How exactly does that work - the insurer provides a list of hotels you're allowed to stay in?

If you like the posh hotels then great, but don't be surprised that the type of people often attracted to posh, soulless hotels are posh, soulless people!
Another confirmation that is pretty standard corporate travel policy. We have a list of 'approved' hotels we can stay within a city. If we go off that list, its an administration nightmare to get approval and reason why we didn't stay at any of the hotel on the list.

Plus traveling for work, especially with folks on this site, we do want our share of comfort and 'upgrades' and the most important earning the almighty hotel points.
Not saying hostels don't offer comfort, but they sure don't offer the points and hotel status.

Another good way to meet locals and other travelers, I've noticed in the last few years a lot of bars have started doing Trivia nights. Not the trivia games with the electronic scoreboard and such, but the old school pen and paper with a trivia master. This is a great way to go into a bar as a solo, and mingle and talk with strangers.
Old May 23, 2015, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
You are like my husband. He can talk to anyone anywhere. He loves going off on his own when away on business and chatting to people at a bar or wherever. Years ago he started chatting to some random dude in the lift of his apartment building and got to talking about bikes. They ended up going for a ride. It ended up being Keanu Reeves in Sydney making a movie. He had no idea who he was.
^
Old May 23, 2015, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

awesome keanu reeves story!
Old May 23, 2015, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Commie
Another confirmation that is pretty standard corporate travel policy. We have a list of 'approved' hotels we can stay within a city. If we go off that list, its an administration nightmare to get approval and reason why we didn't stay at any of the hotel on the list.

Plus traveling for work, especially with folks on this site, we do want our share of comfort and 'upgrades' and the most important earning the almighty hotel points.
Not saying hostels don't offer comfort, but they sure don't offer the points and hotel status.

Another good way to meet locals and other travelers, I've noticed in the last few years a lot of bars have started doing Trivia nights. Not the trivia games with the electronic scoreboard and such, but the old school pen and paper with a trivia master. This is a great way to go into a bar as a solo, and mingle and talk with strangers.
In which case I stand well and truly corrected! Is that more an American thing? I very rarely travel for work but it's not something I've ever seen.
Old May 23, 2015, 1:40 pm

In which case I stand well and truly corrected! Is that more an American thing? I very rarely travel for work but it's not something I've ever seen.
I presume that you are referring to the idea of approved hotels. Smaller corporations can't afford to do this, but larger corporations have travel policies which manage hotels for price, quality, and safety. In certain parts of the world, they actually send people to review hotels for their security, fire safety, etc. In other places, they depend on published information. While I am sure that there is some hostel which would meet my company's standards, there are few enough of them that they wouldn't bother to go seeking them out.
Old May 23, 2015, 3:28 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
It's so 2015 to need an app to approach people sitting in the same bar.

I'm suprised nobody has mentioned Flyertalk. With a minimum of planning I've met up with Flyertalkers at home and in various cities here and there.
Old May 23, 2015, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i imagine US employees could probably sue employer after booking 'bad' hotel, even if employee picked it not employer. so thats probably one of the many factors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.