Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Meeting up with other lone travellers...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2015, 11:53 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by LondonElite
But it would be very awkward to strike up a conversation with someone just for the hell of it on the off chance that they're 'lonely' as well.
Why? If someone is sitting by themselves and not doing anything in particular, what's awkward about saying "hey, where are you from?" If they want to be left alone, it will quickly become obvious.
Old May 19, 2015, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA SILVER!! (After 7 years of trying...)
Originally Posted by fotographer
What hotel in Mumbai
I was at the Leela - and bloody lovely it was too. Now at the Meluha the Fern in Powai, for my last night!
Old May 19, 2015, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by callum9999
How does that prevent you from staying in a hostel? You seem to have a pretty large misconception over what a hostel is.

It can be exactly what you are describing - a place a 36 year old man travelling for business can stay (in their own room if they want) and meet other travellers who'd like a beer and a chat.
Ok, apologies for my dismissal of hostels without really stopping to consider properly...

We have pretty strict corporate travel policies about where it is and isn't safe to stay (especially in places like India), and this is why I end up in posh, somewhat soulless hotels, where the atmosphere isn't exactly that friendly. I'm 99% sure that I'd invalidate my work's travel insurance policy by going to crash with a local or going to a hostel...

Plus, I quite like posh hotels, especially the one I was at on Saturday!
Old May 19, 2015, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cbn42
Why? If someone is sitting by themselves and not doing anything in particular, what's awkward about saying "hey, where are you from?" If they want to be left alone, it will quickly become obvious.
As a fellow Londoner, I will vouch for feeling like this would be an intrusion of privacy!

I should try to be less... British.
Old May 19, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold

How are they I am in Mumbai almost every 4 weeks or so
I stay in south Mumbai at the inter contenential
Every time
Granted I don't often get to relax in the evenings
But I can see what you are saying
Since my trips to Mumbai are usually no more then 2 days it's tough and I am too tired to going out
The nice thing they have is a roof top bar whichever provides a great view of marine drive
Old May 19, 2015, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Joking aside, I know exactly what you mean. I'm in that situation often; on those occasions where there's no friend, relative, or business partner to have dinner or drinks with, it would sometimes be interesting to met someone in the same situation (not always). But it would be very awkward to strike up a conversation with someone just for the hell of it on the off chance that they're 'lonely' as well.
This is exactly why I think the app approach would be perfect. You want to meet up with someone in the same hotel / street / town, you log in, mark yourself as looking for company (or some other description that doesn't sound like you want to exchange said company for money) - and then people know you want to be disturbed. If you have a profile pic and we're in the same hotel, we can easily look up and wave and go grab a beer.

If you can think of nothing worse than having some over-friendly guy from London who looks a little bit like Mr. Bean coming and taking over your evening, and you want some "you time", then you just don't go on the app- simple!
Old May 19, 2015, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by livingforever
Ok, apologies for my dismissal of hostels without really stopping to consider properly...

We have pretty strict corporate travel policies about where it is and isn't safe to stay (especially in places like India), and this is why I end up in posh, somewhat soulless hotels, where the atmosphere isn't exactly that friendly. I'm 99% sure that I'd invalidate my work's travel insurance policy by going to crash with a local or going to a hostel...

Plus, I quite like posh hotels, especially the one I was at on Saturday!
I'm certainly not accusing you of lying, but I find it incredibly hard to believe that your work's insurance policy is invalidated if you stay in a hostel! How exactly does that work - the insurer provides a list of hotels you're allowed to stay in?

If you like the posh hotels then great, but don't be surprised that the type of people often attracted to posh, soulless hotels are posh, soulless people!
Old May 19, 2015, 12:58 pm

Programs: EK - Silver; Accor - Silver; O6 - Gold; BAEC - Silver; Flying Blue; SPG; Krisflyer
I'm certainly not accusing you of lying, but I find it incredibly hard to believe that your work's insurance policy is invalidated if you stay in a hostel! How exactly does that work - the insurer provides a list of hotels you're allowed to stay in?

If you like the posh hotels then great, but don't be surprised that the type of people often attracted to posh, soulless hotels are posh, soulless people!
Actually this is pretty common for corporate insurance policy. In all the companies I've worked for, the policy states certain type of accommodations we are allowed to book. As I remember, Hostels, short stay home rentals and motels are in the list.

Back to topic. I fully agree such apps would be great for frequent travelers who don't want to drink/eat alone. But as other posters have stated, it's just to easy to be hijack for "Other" purpose.
Old May 19, 2015, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've never had a problem shrinking up convos either in a hotel or on a plane. Usually meet some pretty interesting people too. Please, no more apps!
Old May 20, 2015, 1:19 am

As a fellow Londoner, I will vouch for feeling like this would be an intrusion of privacy!

Agreed. I find that people in the States are quite friendly in this regard. Many a time I've sat at a bar in the US, minding my own business, and some random has started talking to me. Until I confirmed it was a cultural issue my internal monolgue tended to be a version of "What is this person after?".

I still find it odd, but am more accepting now.

I'd second the use of couchsurfing, they tend to have weekly get togethers in various places.

Edit: Also a Londonder
Old May 20, 2015, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold

Agreed entirely. In the States, fair enough because it's what the locals do, but anywhere else it's a serious turn-off.

Now, a commentary on the weather would be absolutely fine.
Old May 20, 2015, 2:25 am
Suspended

so say the poor, cashless people

that we are all so attracted to

Old May 20, 2015, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Ha, I did wonder the same thing. Perhaps I just lack the confidence to go over to the other side of a bar in a strange hotel and approach someone sitting by themselves and say "Hello, can I come and sit and talk to you, I'm booooored!"

Perhaps I'm making a huge assumption when I imagine that most people sitting on their own eating or drinking at a table away from everyone else, reading a book, probably don't want some random Brit coming and annoying them!
You're right. Same as starting up a conversation on a plane. There are a few who enjoy the chat. Most will simply raise a finger to let you know to be still. Which finger will depend on how long you pester them.

Originally Posted by greggarious
Why not just stay in a hostel?

Usually you can find people game to do stuff at breakfast
I've stayed at quite a few hostels. Not suitable for business travel. Great if you're out to see the country side and meet new people. Or if you're cash strapped.
Old May 20, 2015, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by LuxuryRogue
so say the poor, cashless people

that we are all so attracted to

What?

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
I've stayed at quite a few hostels. Not suitable for business travel. Great if you're out to see the country side and meet new people. Or if you're cash strapped.
I've stayed in several hundred and many of them are perfectly suitable for business travellers. Judging them all on "quite a few" stays is equivalent to judging hotels in general based on your Holiday Inn experiences!
Old May 20, 2015, 2:02 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Maybe it's just me but at least here where I live in the Northeast of the US where its all about not making eye contact, and keeping your head down I think that a bar is the last place around where I can turn up alone, and have a conversation with someone I haven't met. I have started conversations with all types of people all over the world in the past couple years, and I think that we both enjoyed putting our phones down and chatting with each other instead of scrolling through a twitter timeline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.