Effective July 1: New $5 per hotel night tax in Georgia USA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Effective July 1: New $5 per hotel night tax in Georgia USA

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2015, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Hoch
What is the relevance of a voting right? They are taking contributors to a local economy as many other states or countries do. Whilst this may seem like a good idea the level may have a negative and pnushing impact. Localities should always be prepared to look beyond any additional revenue that may be raised.

H
While I don't think that $5 will be enough to change people's travel plans, the steady drip, drip, drip of taxes and fees will have an impact. But politicians don't care as taxes give them money to pay out to people and effectively buy their votes. This particular tax is inviting because the politicians can say that they are getting the money from outsiders. Never mind that it might hurt local businesses.
Old May 9, 2015, 11:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
While I don't think that $5 will be enough to change people's travel plans, the steady drip, drip, drip of taxes and fees will have an impact. But politicians don't care as taxes give them money to pay out to people and effectively buy their votes. This particular tax is inviting because the politicians can say that they are getting the money from outsiders. Never mind that it might hurt local businesses.
Well, it might be enough to dissuade me from traveling to Georgia, except there was already enough for me to do that.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 5:34 am

Well this is definitely live. Was blindsided when I checked out yesterday. $15 of total tax on a $57 room.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by airplanegod
Great, another chance for Big Brother to get more of my hard earned pay check. When will it end?
Never fails to amaze me that, at a time of low tax burden in the USA, we continue to see this kind of comment. We pay significantly less tax today as a % of income than we did in the 1980s.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MaxBuck
Never fails to amaze me that, at a time of low tax burden in the USA, we continue to see this kind of comment. We pay significantly less tax today as a % of income than we did in the 1980s.
Fundamentally, I'm okay with lowering the tax burden on income and raising it on consumption. It's a more efficient way to collect tax.

My problem with some of these hotel (and more prevalent to date, rental car) taxes is that one locality can easily pass them knowing that the people paying the tax don't have any representation in the legislative process. It's politically easy for politicians to soak travelers and sell it to their own constituents as "we're getting other people to pay for our arena or football stadium", when all it does is escalate an arms race that has those constituents then paying for everyone else's arenas and football stadiums when they go elsewhere.

Seriously: I remember when Kansas City had its vote to do a full downtown renovation, including a new arena. It passed overwhelmingly - in big part because St. Louis spent a bunch of money opposing it and that pissed everybody off - and in big part because part of the campaign was "You're already paying these taxes in Phoenix, San Francisco, Chicago, etc. - so now we're getting ours." Rental car taxes in KC are now often in the 100% range. (But the downtown renovation is great...thanks everybody! )

So if Georgia is tacking on $5 per hotel room, does anyone think they're the *only* state who will do it? Georgia's getting their $5....we'd better get ours from all of those Atlanta people who travel to our state... @:-)

This has previously been mainly the realm of cities and counties. Add states to the mix, and it's just another layer of tax on top of a lot of rooms that already have these taxes.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by wharvey
I am posting this in the generic TravelBuzz as I believe it is important for wide discussion.

I had missed this as it was a last second add to the budget recently passed in Georgia.

I noticed it when making an award reservation this morning at a Club Carlson hotel booking in the Atlanta area for August.

Effective July 1, hotels will be adding a flat $5 per night hotel tax to all room reservations.

http://www.politifact.com/georgia/st...always-guests/

I have a feeling hotels will just pass this onto their customers rather than eat the cost.

This can add us... will be interesting to see how this impacts travel. For example, I have gotten Priceline rates as low as $32 a night.... but now if you add $5 per night, that is a substantial additional cost.

Based on the CC warning, it also applies to free award nights:

Hotel Alerts
Each Room Will Incur A Nightly $5 Tax Fee Effective July 1st

Typical tax to screw people who can't vote you out of office; look at all the municipalities who do this with car rentals.

Hotels will just add this on the bill as an extra tax.

I hate politicians.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Hotels will just add this on the bill as an extra tax.
Yes. It was listed on my bill as:

State Hotel - Motel Fee - $5.00
Old Jul 8, 2015, 10:59 am

The county I live in - in NY - charges 3% on hotel/motel rooms and I remember what a backlash the county received when it was instituted.

Of course, it didn't matter.....
Old Jul 8, 2015, 12:14 pm

Effective July 1st -- Event planners start to consider Florida instead of Georgia to host conventions.

/Not that Orlando doesn't have bed taxes as well...but every $ counts.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:30 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I would be delighted if hotel tax was only five dollars. I'm assuming you mean they're adding a new $5 tax on top of the roughly 20% tax on hotels already.

And sure it's "free" money from the perspective of locals who don't stay in hotels, but every city does it. All-in displayed pricing in the GDS would really help with this. Then high-tax areas would look relatively unattractive
Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:20 pm

Programs: Southwest RR, Alaska Mileage Plan™
Another plus for using AirBNB. No outrageous taxes added.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
The high car rental taxes in Boston discourage me from renting a car there.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Insulator-King
Another plus for using AirBNB. No outrageous taxes added.
Um, think again. Compliance with State and Local tax regulations is coming to a state/city near you, if it hasn't yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.