Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How Can I Book a Flight Using My IATA info? New to this!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2015, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone - I recently received my IATA number and was wondering how I can book a flight with either AA or UA using my discount. I'm new to all of this so any help is appreciated! I tried calling United (the # found on the IATAN website) but was told I needed to book an O class flight then call them back with the flight info and they would give me the discounted rate. So far I can't find an O Class ticket. Thanks!
Old Apr 25, 2015, 12:40 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Is this legit?

Are you a travel agent? or own a travel agency? or did you somehow get an IATAN card that you are not entitled to by paying a third party who "sells" them?

You are supposed to book the flight using your own GDS through either the availability display or by doing a long sell (aka direct segment entry).

Depending on the airline, you are supposed to then have their rate desk price it at either their AD75 or AD50 rates.

Once the rate desk prices it, the PNR gets queued back to your GDS so that you can issue the ticket (some airlines may insist on issuing the ticket themselves).

If you don't know what I am talking about, chances are you probably shouldn't even have the IATAN card (as I would assume you are not a legit travel agent) in the first place!! It is meant for people who work full time in the travel industry.

Some airlines may have revenue requirements (eg. you have to sell $X in tickets etc.) before you can book AD travel.

Last edited by daniellam; Apr 25, 2015 at 12:45 am
Old Apr 25, 2015, 1:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by daniellam
Are you a travel agent? or own a travel agency? or did you somehow get an IATAN card that you are not entitled to by paying a third party who "sells" them?

You are supposed to book the flight using your own GDS through either the availability display or by doing a long sell (aka direct segment entry).

Depending on the airline, you are supposed to then have their rate desk price it at either their AD75 or AD50 rates.

Once the rate desk prices it, the PNR gets queued back to your GDS so that you can issue the ticket (some airlines may insist on issuing the ticket themselves).

If you don't know what I am talking about, chances are you probably shouldn't even have the IATAN card (as I would assume you are not a legit travel agent) in the first place!! It is meant for people who work full time in the travel industry.

Some airlines may have revenue requirements (eg. you have to sell $X in tickets etc.) before you can book AD travel.
Thanks for your reply! I'm a travel agent and am entitled to an IATAN card. I just started working full time in the travel industry but no one was at the agency today to ask. I'll wait until Monday to ask - thanks for responding tho.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:51 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
DebbieC, welcome to FlyerTalk. It's important to the integrity of the IATA program that you consult with your travel agency that entitled you to the status. We'd feel the same if a member asked questions here about how to use an airline "buddy" or "family" pass. We'd reply that that member had to work with the airline employee who is authorizing his or her pass.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:13 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Some of the airlines also require a minimum length of employment before using the discount. Rules and instructions on how to book can usually be found on the airlines' websites on the Agency page.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your replies. I will contact the agency on Monday morning.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:54 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Don't get your hopes up. Unless you're traveling last-minute or in business/first, an AD50 or 75 is frequently more expensive than regular fares. And agent tickets like that are usually standby.

Since its on the Internet for anyone to see, and Flyertalkers are likely curious, here's an example of AAs rules. Looks like ad50 only and I'm assuming it's positive space since they capacity control them now.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Agency...e.jsp#discount

Last edited by TravelerMSY; Apr 28, 2015 at 1:20 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.