Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passport requirement for driving to Canada

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2015, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

I'm a US citizen planning to enter Canada via Niagara Falls. Does anyone know what is the requirement for Passport? Can the passport expire within a month or so?

Also, a stupid question. Does the US immigration care if the US passport expired or not?
Old Apr 10, 2015, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by kash
I'm a US citizen planning to enter Canada via Niagara Falls. Does anyone know what is the requirement for Passport? Can the passport expire within a month or so?
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-vo...-eng.html#_s2a
Old Apr 10, 2015, 8:58 pm

To your first question... http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...ry/canada.html

To your second question... No, CBP will not really care that your passport is expired. They will look you up in the computer and you might get sent to secondary screening but that's it. You will certainly be allowed back home. :-)

Last edited by emrdoc; Apr 10, 2015 at 9:06 pm
Old Apr 10, 2015, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

"If you are a U.S. citizen, ensure you carry proof of citizenship such as a passport, birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization, a U.S. Permanent Resident Card, or a Certificate of Indian Status along with photo identification."

Does it mean that US Citizen entering Canada by land does not even require a Passport?
Old Apr 10, 2015, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Land base entry to Canada for American and Canadian does not require a passport, only proof of citizenship. You may enter if you show proof of American citizenship and the border agent deems that you are fit to enter.

Just make sure you do not have anything in your vehicle which you can legally own and carry in the US that is not permissible in Canada (firearms and pepper spray come to mind). Carrying them and/or not declaring can get one arrested.
The other gotcha is DWI is a criminal offence in Canada so having one on your record can deem you inadmissible.

That is why it is always wise to prepare for entry into any country by their official published requirement; Canadian Border Service Agency for Canada.

Last edited by tentseller; Apr 10, 2015 at 11:15 pm
Old Apr 11, 2015, 11:55 am

Would the Washington State enhanced drivers license work for the Niagara crossing? I know it works like a charm going to Vancouver, but wasn't sure about Niagara. It is a part of the western hemisphere travel initiative and I don't see a reason why it shouldn't work! Am I correct?
Old Apr 11, 2015, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nit407
Would the Washington State enhanced drivers license work for the Niagara crossing? I know it works like a charm going to Vancouver, but wasn't sure about Niagara. It is a part of the western hemisphere travel initiative and I don't see a reason why it shouldn't work! Am I correct?
Not a definite answer but I can't see why not.

I have crossed at NF with a nephew who had the BC enhanced license and I with ON version.

I have cross I5 into US with my ON enhance license.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by nit407
It will work, they can be used anywhere in NA for land or sea boarder crossings the same as a passport card.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 3:14 pm

Programs: United 1K (Star Alliance Gold) IHG Platinum
I know this isn't the question, but I have traveled all over the world (50+countries) and the absolute worst immigration I have had have been the following countries:

Israel: understandably difficult to leave their country. Took three hours and lots of questions, but I managed and I truly get why they have to be careful.

Algeria: Terrible. Just terrible. Probably fine for men, but I have never been proposed to by immigration officers. However, this happened to me on multiple occasions leaving Algiers. Somehow they seemed to think that they could "go with me to the US"

Canada: Oh, Canada.. why do you fall into the category of WORST border crossing ever? Your people are so nice! Why do you hire the only mean people in your entire country to work for immigration!! I have gone in and out of Canada more times than I can count and I don't know if it's bad luck, but each time, they have given me a very hard time. I would go to ANY other country over Canada. I have been treated SO poorly in border crossing, I won't go there again ever. (had a border guard scream at me when I was pregnant once because I didn't know the value of my USED maternity clothing and my company-issued laptop!!!)

I can go into more detail, but all I can say is take any precaution. I am a seasoned traveler and if I am terrified of entering/exiting Canada, it's for good reason.

However, I'm posting this right now from Paris and will be leaving in a week and *gulp* taking Air Canada on the way back with a layover in YUL, so we'll see......
Old Apr 11, 2015, 4:44 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by kash
Does it mean that US Citizen entering Canada by land does not even require a Passport?
Correct.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
You can also use your global entry card...in fact when returning to the US you can use your Global Entry card in the Nexus lane (but it needs to be registered).
Old Apr 11, 2015, 5:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by burbuja0512
Canada: Oh, Canada.. why do you fall into the category of WORST border crossing ever? Your people are so nice! Why do you hire the only mean people in your entire country to work for immigration!! I have gone in and out of Canada more times than I can count and I don't know if it's bad luck, but each time, they have given me a very hard time. I would go to ANY other country over Canada. I have been treated SO poorly in border crossing, I won't go there again ever. (had a border guard scream at me when I was pregnant once because I didn't know the value of my USED maternity clothing and my company-issued laptop!!!)

I can go into more detail, but all I can say is take any precaution. I am a seasoned traveler and if I am terrified of entering/exiting Canada, it's for good reason.

However, I'm posting this right now from Paris and will be leaving in a week and *gulp* taking Air Canada on the way back with a layover in YUL, so we'll see......
For me, NEXUS has made a world of difference. Before the Canadians were often rude and/or suspicious to me but now they don't question me or barely question me when I go through the NEXUS line or the regular line and show them the NEXUS card, whether by land or air.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 7:00 pm

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by burbuja0512
I know this isn't the question, but I have traveled all over the world (50+countries) and the absolute worst immigration I have had have been the following countries:

Israel: understandably difficult to leave their country. Took three hours and lots of questions, but I managed and I truly get why they have to be careful.

Algeria: Terrible. Just terrible. Probably fine for men, but I have never been proposed to by immigration officers. However, this happened to me on multiple occasions leaving Algiers. Somehow they seemed to think that they could "go with me to the US"

I'll have to agree with you on this one. I have never flown to Canada, only driven. I have been drilled so hard every time I cross the border. I even had my car searched while trying to LEAVE the country in Ft. Erie! I have been asked every question you can imagine entering Canada and have had my passengers yelled at before. It seems like they just assume Americans are not familiar with their laws and are trying to smuggle in weapons and fresh fruit. Getting back to the US has always been easy. Usually have a pleasant casual conversation with the CBP officer.

That being said, after enrolling in the NEXUS trusted traveler program, this has almost completely flipped. Going into Canada is a breeze. They usually process cars in the NEXUS line in <10 seconds for a single passenger. I have had CBSA agents not say anything other than "proceed". However, CBP officers now drill me on why I am even enrolled in the program (since I lived in Cleveland, and now Louisville). Nonetheless, it was $50 well-spent!
Old Apr 12, 2015, 5:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by trmbn65
I'll have to agree with you on this one. I have never flown to Canada, only driven. I have been drilled so hard every time I cross the border. I even had my car searched while trying to LEAVE the country in Ft. Erie! I have been asked every question you can imagine entering Canada and have had my passengers yelled at before. It seems like they just assume Americans are not familiar with their laws and are trying to smuggle in weapons and fresh fruit. Getting back to the US has always been easy. Usually have a pleasant casual conversation with the CBP officer.
And Canadians can relate similar stories going into the U.S. Both agencies are unreasonable.

I've had my car searched in Buffalo by the CBP who accused me of having ITAR items in my car. On other occasions I've been yelled at, held at the border, had my car taken apart and otherwise harassed going into the U.S.

The firearm issue is a sticky one. Canada usually jails several Americans each year because they "forgot" they were carrying a gun. Those that do declare it get sent back. The 2nd Amendment doesn't apply beyond the border.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 9:28 am

I agree about the CBSA (Canadian border officers), they are terrible, even for us Canadians.

Honestly, it's a breeze traveling to the US. I am usually asked where I'm going and when I'm coming home. Sometimes I'm asked if I have anything to declare. Then I'm sent on my way. Only one time out of hundreds did I get a rude border officer while going into the US, and she settled right down once she found out what line of work I'm in.

CBSA is just terrible though. They're rude and they constantly search my car. I have little respect for many of the ones I've dealt with. Who would think getting back into your own country is worse than getting into a foreign country

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.