Should I keep my Priority Pass card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2015, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club

I have been a Priority Pass member for many years now, but I was wondering that as I am now BA gold (OneWorld Emerald) is there much likelihood of needing the Priority Pass card, or should I let my membership lapse?

I have used it mainly in the past for internal flights in the USA. Are there many locations in the USA which do not have OneWorld lounges? What about other parts of the world?
Old Apr 1, 2015, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by mikebg
I have been a Priority Pass member for many years now, but I was wondering that as I am now BA gold (OneWorld Emerald) is there much likelihood of needing the Priority Pass card, or should I let my membership lapse?

I have used it mainly in the past for internal flights in the USA. Are there many locations in the USA which do not have OneWorld lounges? What about other parts of the world?
It depends on what specific airports you travel to. There are a lot of airports in the US that don't have Oneworld lounges, but most them don't have Priority Pass lounges except for those with United Clubs. Note also that in larger US airports, the oneworld lounge may be in a different terminal than the one you're flying out of.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 8:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's an increasing network of private lounges in the USA that belong to PP, such as The Club at ATL. IIRC other locations include BWI, JFK T4 (wingtips, near the DL gates), etc. There are also some new AmEx Centurion lounges (LGA, LAS, SFO, etc.) which are free for most unaffiliated AmEx Platinum and Centurion charge cards, while other AmEx (credit) cards can be used to purchase entry. AmEx Platinum and Centurion cards also get you entry into DL lounges when you have a same day flight on DL (not including codeshares). Note that not all PP memberships cover UA lounges, although if yours is based outside of the USA, it probably does.

You should explore the list of PP lounges as well as oneworld lounge locations. It might make sense to keep the basic version of PP for about $125 plus $30 per visit as insurance.

Some USA airports that have separate TSA security areas (usually separate terminals) for different airlines include JFK, LGA, BOS, LAX, SFO, DCA, DTW, TPA. At ORD, the international terminal (T5) is separate, while at MSP legacy carriers generally use T1 while LCCs are at the much smaller T2. IIRC SAN had two terminals plus a separate area for some commuter flights. Most but not all of PHL is connected airside and the same is true for PHX IIRC. STL, RDU, BDL, and MDW *might* relegate Southwest to a separate terminal but major carriers all seem to be at the same place. EWR is one building but had several distinct security areas when I was last there.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Apr 1, 2015 at 8:16 pm
Old Apr 1, 2015, 11:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You should explore the list of PP lounges as well as oneworld lounge locations. It might make sense to keep the basic version of PP for about $125 plus $30 per visit as insurance.
That's the membership I have at the moment anyway!

Thanks for the tips. I had not considered all of the possibilities. I have another 10 months or so to decide so I shall wait it out and see how things go.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 2:40 am

There are some locations in Europe where you can't use a PP card. For example CDG T2, LHR T5 where one airline dominates. Also, all of Norway for some strange reason.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.