Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Does printing your own e-ticket & boarding passes waste more paper & kill more trees?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does printing your own e-ticket & boarding passes waste more paper & kill more trees?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2015, 8:18 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Carrying a backpack the weight of that paper is not secondary for me.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Mikity
Don't be such a cynic! Every little helps. Even if it's just a sheet of paper (these sheets of paper will add up...)
I'm not being cynical, I'm putting the sheet of paper in objective, appropriate context.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by BearX220
I'm not being cynical, I'm putting the sheet of paper in objective, appropriate context.
Don't objectify the paper
Old Mar 30, 2015, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by BigOrangeTerp
This brings up another issue: why do the self check-in kiosks always insist on printing your BP? What if I just want to check a bag or see if there are LFBUs available? There should be a question asking if you already have a boarding pass or electronic boarding pass.

Of course I can see people getting confused, hitting "yes," then wondering why TSA won't let them through without any boarding pass.
Delta kiosks ask if you would like to print your boarding pass.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I use a mobile boarding pass and try to physically hug at least one tree on the way to the airport.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 9:50 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
As noted up thread, printing the bp to a pdf (you have a copy if needed in the future) and then print on your printer, just the page with the bar code.
[Printing only to your I-device ONLY, could cause problems--battery dies just as you get to TSA screener.]

Side comment: anyone who has gone to the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas (in early Jan. each year) [150,000+ attendees] the number of pages of printed documents is huge (each day, for 4 days, thousands of 400 page directories, 100+ pages of news for that days events, maps, trade publications, advertising brochures, etc.) would make the bp issue, NO issue.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 5:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by BearX220
You're about to get on a 300,000 pound airplane that will burn 20,000 gallons of fossil fuel to get you were you're going, spewing emissions all the way, and you're worried about the environmental impact of ONE SHEET OF PAPER?
It's how faux environmentalists roll. Feel superior after sitting in the dark for 60 minutes to celebrate Earth Hour only to burn electricity like mad for the other 8759 hours of the year.

The solution is recycled paper and refilled printer cartridges. Environmentalists can print BPs to their heart's content and then bask in the warm afterglow of making an entirely insignificant contribution to the planet.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 6:42 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Are boarding passes on smartphones not common in hi tech North America ? I don't remember any printed boarding pass on a LH group flight departing from Europe these last years.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 7:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by behuman
Are boarding passes on smartphones not common in hi tech North America ? I don't remember any printed boarding pass on a LH group flight departing from Europe these last years.
I still print them when traveling with family. Easier to hand 4 paper BP's to the TSA than to get them out of my phone's photo gallery, one after another, while people are waiting in line.

Flying solo, I always use the mobile BP. For a couple years, I'd occasionally run into an airport that couldn't handle them, but that hasn't been the case for me in some time.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:28 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Originally Posted by pinniped
I use a mobile boarding pass and try to physically hug at least one tree on the way to the airport.
But you are using additional electricity that your phone uses for the extra time swiping and tapping to open and keep that mobile boarding pass displayed, not to mention all of the extra electrons that have to fly through the internet (you would think Al Gore would have made the internet more carbon neutral when he invented it). That means your phone ends up making the power plants work harder, which are quite likely are burning fossil fuels. You better hug two trees and a shrubbery on your way to the airport to be sure you are offsetting your emissions.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:34 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, AA GLD, DL FO, Natl Elite
Originally Posted by tev9999
But you are using additional electricity that your phone uses for the extra time swiping and tapping to open and keep that mobile boarding pass displayed, not to mention all of the extra electrons that have to fly through the internet (you would think Al Gore would have made the internet more carbon neutral when he invented it). That means your phone ends up making the power plants work harder, which are quite likely are burning fossil fuels. You better hug two trees and a shrubbery on your way to the airport to be sure you are offsetting your emissions.
That's my argument against teleworking instead of traveling. Gotta think of the power plants.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:38 pm

Programs: US Gold
I vastly prefer printed bps (but don't print any but the bp page). Couple of reasons, but an important one is that if the bp is on the phone I have to hand people my phone so they can look at it. I consider this an unwise thing to do.

wg
Old Apr 1, 2015, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by tev9999
In all seriousness, the massive carbon footprint from data centers is one of the digital revolution's dirty little secrets. Data centers will consume 140 billion kilowatt hours by 2020 in the US alone, and we all know how dirty much of that power generation is.

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/a...bon-footprint/

Every kilobyte served and transmitted runs that number up. Gartner said eight years ago that data centers were emitting about as much CO2 as the whole aviation industry. Considering the Big Data growth rate, they've probably surpassed aviation by now as enviro-damagers.

http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/530912

So before you award yourself a green badge for doing everything virtually / on screen to save one sheet of recycled / recyclable paper, especially when you're in a fuel-burning taxi on your way to a big energy-burning airport to board a big energy-burning airplane, consider the whole, real picture.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
this rather begs for a "Newton's Law of the Environment": for every benefit in some area, there is a countervailing (though not necessarily equal and opposite) cost in some other area
Old Apr 1, 2015, 4:25 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by jrl767
this rather begs for a "Newton's Law of the Environment": for every benefit in some area, there is a countervailing (though not necessarily equal and opposite) cost in some other area
Scientists just call this the law of unintended consequences. In colloquial language, "there is always a flip side". The goal is to make sure that the costs on the flip side are less than the benefits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.