Wiki Posts
Search

Questions/Comments that Drive You Nuts from Infrequent Travelers

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2015, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
Red face Questions/Comments that Drive You Nuts from Infrequent Travelers

Inevitably, any time I leave the country, I am confronted with questions and comments from my colleagues and acquaintances that do not travel frequently. Though their intentions are invariably good, these interactions sometimes drive me nuts. These include:

"But...but is it SAFE??" (usually in reference to destinations like Singapore or Tokyo, which are without a doubt safer than any typical US destination)

"Well, you're quite the world traveler, aren't you?" (I get this quip often from coworkers. Drives me up the wall, especially since much of my international travel is for work.)

"How can you POSSIBLY sit on a plane that long?"

Anyone else have any pet peeve comments or questions that they are frequently confronted with by friends not in the FF community?
Old Mar 27, 2015, 12:35 pm

Programs: BA/AA/UA
"Well, aren't you Mr Got-Rocks!"

Even though I'm usually travelling at least partly on miles. But once they have figured out (or learned) that I slept on my trans-oceanic flights, it's a small step to learn that I flew Business or First. (Since I am 6'-3" and can't fit much less sleep in coach seats.)

At which point I always point out that I flew the expensive segment on miles, or someone else was paying. But they think and/or say it anyway. How do I know if they just 'think' it? Because a later remark will indicate.

OTOH, I throw obscene amounts away on luxury cruises, so if they learn that there's no defending me
Old Mar 27, 2015, 12:36 pm

"You don't use a money belt/pouch? But what if you get pickpocketed?"

The asker is usually a Ma or Pa Kettle who's heard that their coworker's brother-in-law's college roommate had their wallet stolen while in $EUROPE and is now convinced that the whole continent is swarming with thieves and pickpockets who prey specifically on North American-ers.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 12:46 pm

What drives me nuts is frequent travellers that forget that they started out in the same position - not being a frequent traveller.

Have some patience, we all have to start somewhere
Old Mar 27, 2015, 12:46 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
In Latin America it is not possible to go anywhere without everyone asking you to bring them a gift back. Not once did anyone just wish their friend a nice trip.

I used to oblige them but these people think places like South Florida are shopping paradises, you end up musing the appropriateness of a set of stainless steel teaspoons in Target as a gift for someone you barely know.

I now just slope off without telling anyone where I am going
Old Mar 27, 2015, 12:48 pm

Ugh anything revolving around $$$ sometimes regarding traveling up front, sometimes just in reference to the fact that I've been somewhere outside of the U.S. and it wasn't on a Caribbean cruise...
"Having a trust fund must be nice..." I bet it would be!
"Does your husband make a lot of money?" We book with miles and I'm the one doing the work for them
I could go on and on. Amazing the assumptions people make.

I have gotten the "Gasp, is it safe?!" before, unfortunately from extended family members... What are you going to do!
Old Mar 27, 2015, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by nmh1204
What drives me nuts is frequent travellers that forget that they started out in the same position - not being a frequent traveller.

Originally Posted by China Clipper
"Well, aren't you Mr Got-Rocks!"
Oof, that would kill me.

Originally Posted by JMR1223
Ugh anything revolving around $$$ sometimes regarding traveling up front, sometimes just in reference to the fact that I've been somewhere outside of the U.S. and it wasn't on a Caribbean cruise...
"Having a trust fund must be nice..." I bet it would be!
"Does your husband make a lot of money?" We book with miles and I'm the one doing the work for them
I could go on and on. Amazing the assumptions people make.

I have gotten the "Gasp, is it safe?!" before, unfortunately from extended family members... What are you going to do!
Yes, the money comments can be grating and, frankly, are disrespectful. I was once boarding a domestic flight at ORD, and a ramp staff member was in the jetway. As the F pax boarded, he said loudly at us "First class--must be nice having all the money!" I found it odd coming from an employee.

Anyway, when it comes to the safety comments, I usually politely explain how safe my destination is despite misconceptions, etc.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by zcat18
no need to roll your eyes at me. You must have forgotten you started out the same, as you clearly don't have time for inexperienced travellers.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 1:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by nmh1204

ZING
Old Mar 27, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
"Do they speak English there?"

Chris
Old Mar 27, 2015, 2:38 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Friend: "How can you afford to fly international business class?"

Me: "Well, I didn't actually pay that much. I used some of my frequent flyer miles."

Friend: "Oh, I don't have the time or patience to mess with that miles stuff. I don't even belong to a program. I just fly whatever is cheapest."

I also hate - "Why go back to Japan (or wherever)? Haven't you already been there?"
Old Mar 27, 2015, 2:46 pm

I am an infrequent traveller now, though I did my share of globe trotting when younger.

The question that annoyed me most is assumptions that I would actually want to join the mile high club.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 3:19 pm

Programs: Platinum, HH Diamond
The usual comments I get are:

"You are on vacation again! How much leave do you get?!?!".
I get the same 20 days per year plus 8 public holidays like everyone else in this country, I usually plan my trips around midweek/weekends, public holidays and work trips

When on a work trip, "Wow. Are you actually working or out playing tourist every day".
Im a planner, so I have things planned every afternoon/night/weekend while overseas and around my work schedule. I even send my husband elsewhere during the week while Im working so he maximises his time (ie NY during the week).

First/Business class again! Nice for some!
Ive joined a few forums, read blogs and maximise points to afford this. I drive a 15yr car and live in an older house for a reason, so we can do other things.

and.... "Well if I was you, I would....."
Yes, the person who never goes anywhere, does anything, who thinks spending $$ on a nice hotel room or flight is wasteful wants to tell me what Im doing wrong with my travel plans.

I do get "is it safe", "what about the language" questions but some of the countries we go to, Im not surprised we get asked.

Last edited by Osmo; Mar 27, 2015 at 3:30 pm
Old Mar 27, 2015, 3:43 pm

Deleted

Last edited by brendog; Jan 27, 2023 at 1:35 pm Reason: Deleted
Old Mar 27, 2015, 3:53 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Oh yeah, I've gotten the "is it safe" questions a lot, mostly from people who ironically go to places with higher crime rates.

The one thing that annoyed me most of all though was a woman next to me on a short hop from GLA-AMS on a fokker, she kept leaning over me to see out the window because it was her first time on a plane and apparently she had no idea that she could actually pick a seat in advance, then to top it all off question after question "how fast are we going" "what height are we" and of course my favourite "why don't the windows open".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.