Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Have you ever heard of this sort of downgrade from a paid PE ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Have you ever heard of buying a PE ticket, then getting downgraded at the gate upon check into regular econ.?? A person I know says she has heard of this before. I just have never heard of this. I can't imagine this happening. Thank you.

Last edited by Jacketwatch; Mar 26, 2015 at 10:20 am
Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:40 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Have you ever heard of this sort of bump

That's an involuntary downgrade, usually due to an oversold cabin, or a defective seat with free working seats only in a lower cabin. It happens fairly rarely but is part of airline procedure. In the EU there is mandatory compensation if this occurs. (See EC261 threads in various forums)
Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Do you mean a real PE ticket (i.e. as sold on BA or VS)? It could be due to an otherwise sold out flight in all other classes. As paul4040 pointed out, if this was a European airline (probable) EC/261 is legislation that governs refunds in this case.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Its a paid ticket on PE from PDX to AMS on Delta/KLM. Probably KLM is operating the flight or at least a leg of it. The ticket was purchased 9 mos. in advance. Thanks for the replies.
Larry
Old Mar 26, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: NZ*S
Last minute hardware change due to the original aircraft going tech is another reason this may happen.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jacketwatch
Its a paid ticket on PE from PDX to AMS on Delta/KLM. Probably KLM is operating the flight or at least a leg of it. The ticket was purchased 9 mos. in advance. Thanks for the replies.
Larry
Since DL doesn't have a PE cabin, it must be KL, in which case your friend will be covered by EC/261. Often the payout can be better than flying in PE in the first place. See the BA compensation thread for probably the best summary of this legislation.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 12:41 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Since DL doesn't have a PE cabin, it must be KL, in which case your friend will be covered by EC/261. Often the payout can be better than flying in PE in the first place. See the BA compensation thread for probably the best summary of this legislation.
The flight (PDX) originated in the US, would EC261 apply?
Old Mar 26, 2015, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Great information guys. Thanks to all who took the time to post. I appreciate it.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Since DL doesn't have a PE cabin, it must be KL
What is the routing? It seems to me that the PDX-AMS nonstop is on Delta metal.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 1:38 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Moderator note

Thread title was edited slightly to clarify that the topic concerns downgrading, rather than bumping a passenger from the aircraft. In parlance often used on the site, "bumping" refers to denial of boarding of the passenger in any cabin, usually due to oversale. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 1:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nrr
The flight (PDX) originated in the US, would EC261 apply?
If it was an EU-registered airline, yes.

Originally Posted by kochleffel
What is the routing? It seems to me that the PDX-AMS nonstop is on Delta metal.
I don't think so, since DL doesn't have a PE cabin.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Mar 26, 2015 at 1:46 pm Reason: Combine consecutive posts of same member, suggest using multi-quote feature.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

The OP needs to clarify if by "PE", he means he paid extra for Delta's economy comfort (or whatever the new name is) seating, vs a ticket to fly PE. The former is considered paying for a better seat, not a class of service.

But this is all a hypothetical based on the fact the OPs friend said a downgrade could happen. Lots of other things could happen too....
Old Mar 26, 2015, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam1222
The OP needs to clarify if by "PE", he means he paid extra for Delta's economy comfort (or whatever the new name is) seating, vs a ticket to fly PE. The former is considered paying for a better seat, not a class of service.

But this is all a hypothetical based on the fact the OPs friend said a downgrade could happen. Lots of other things could happen too....
She paid more for their version of premium economy.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Jacketwatch

She paid more for their version of premium economy.
When did this happen?
Delta does not offer a true premium economy. You buy a coach ticket and then pay extra to be in the front of the cabin. It's like paying for an exit row. The fare class is the same as a coach plus an extra fee.
For example, on Delta PDX AMS, it appears that the fee is $119 each way.

This is very different from Air France or other true premium economy. There, you buy a ticket for a different cabin - not a seat assignment for a better seat. The price difference is much more substantial. Looking at flights in May on Air france from Los Angeles to Paris, there's a price differential of over $1000 between economy and premium economy roundtrip.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

When did this happen?
Delta does not offer a true premium economy. You buy a coach ticket and then pay extra to be in the front of the cabin. It's like paying for an exit row. The fare class is the same as a coach plus an extra fee.
For example, on Delta PDX AMS, it appears that the fee is $119 each way.

This is very different from Air France or other true premium economy. There, you buy a ticket for a different cabin - not a seat assignment for a better seat. The price difference is much more substantial. Looking at flights in May on Air france from Los Angeles to Paris, there's a price differential of over $1000 between economy and premium economy roundtrip.
That's good info. It explains a lot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.