Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

$500+ for domestic cross country flights...typical or inflated?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2015, 9:01 am
Original Poster

looking to go to San Diego or LAX from any of the NY/NJ airports on Thursday night or Friday morning before Easter and returning by Tuesday morning.

seems the absolute best i can do is >$500, is this only b/c of holiday or is it usually this much?
Old Mar 25, 2015, 9:13 am

I don't know what the cost is historically but I'd be happy with that price. If you think of it as only $250 each way for all that distance at a holiday and spring break time and on short notice, it is a steal.

I ran an online calculator. The gas money alone to drive it would be $605. http://www.travelmath.com/cost-of-dr.../San+Diego,+CA
Old Mar 25, 2015, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by njfastlife
looking to go to San Diego or LAX from any of the NY/NJ airports on Thursday night or Friday morning before Easter and returning by Tuesday morning.

seems the absolute best i can do is >$500, is this only b/c of holiday or is it usually this much?
Demand increases in the spring, Easter weekend is a holiday weekend, and you're buying close to departure day, which is only 8 or 9 days from now. So $500 is great. (Earlier this week I bought a SEA-WAS transcon RT less than a week before departure and was lucky to pay $550. Many itins priced at $800-$1,300.)

Had you purchased three months ago you might have done better.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 11:13 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
If you're open to flying out of Long Beach or Orange County and catching a connecting flight, you'll cut $130 off the fare. Check Kayak.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 11:34 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

This is a case where I'd look at two one-ways, while increasing the options for departure/arrival airports.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by njfastlife

As a data point, last year I flew SFO-EWR two days before Easter and returned to SFO about a week later. Booked 3 weeks in advance for $500 r/t on UA.

Seems like the fares you found are reasonable for the Easter weekend, especially being about a week out from your travel date.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
A week and a half out from a busy travel weekend...I'd say $500 sounds about right. Lots of full flights...probably aren't any great deals left.

If SNA works for you and you get $370 for a sane one-stop routing, I'd say that's quite reasonable, generally-speaking.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

There is nothing unusual or surprising here. It's not the holiday per se but a function of demand and the late booking. As others said, under $400 is unusual.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 3:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
$500 is good for this time of year, the holidays aside. The major factor will be the late booking, but even that would not appreciably reduce the fare.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 7:22 pm

Programs: AC P25
Sigh. This makes me so jealous. It's hard to get across Canada for sub $1000. Hell I can barely get to toronto on a 2.5-3 hr midcon for 500 return on a midwinter Tuesday and that's a good deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.