Reload this Page >

Price Discrimination Based upon National Origin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Price Discrimination Based upon National Origin

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2015, 1:11 am

Ecuador charges foreigners more on flights to the Galapagos, Scotland charges more on flights to the Highlands & Islands

In both cases it's actually a subsidy so that locals can afford to travel when there are few other options
Old Mar 26, 2015, 1:22 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Strangely Cebu pacific of all airlines does not seem to follow this. I have always been able to book tickets for same price as Filipino citizens for flights within the Philippines.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 1:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by chris19992
Strangely Cebu pacific of all airlines does not seem to follow this. I have always been able to book tickets for same price as Filipino citizens for flights within the Philippines.
Why is that strange? Do you know of any other private (non subsidized) companies in the Phils that charge different prices based on nationality?
Old Mar 26, 2015, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by moondog
Why is that strange? Do you know of any other private (non subsidized) companies in the Phils that charge different prices based on nationality?
No, was just saying it was strange they don't when supposedly other countries charge foreigners more when they seem like the exact company that would love to do it.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 2:30 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
There are often special fares for Filipinos working overseas though, certainly ex-SIN where there is a sizeable contingent of them working as maids. Both Philippine and Singapore Airlines offer special fares with proof of an employment certificate. They also get extra baggage allowance.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 3:03 am

No, was just saying it was strange they don't when supposedly other countries charge foreigners more when they seem like the exact company that would love to do it.
Sorry, but I'm not following your logic.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by moondog
Sorry, but I'm not following your logic.
My logic is:
1. People in this thread saying how airlines milk foreigners for domestic routes.

2. Cebu pacific are a penny pinching company but yet they do not do this (as far as domestic flights go) and I found that strange because they are exactly the type of company you would expect to try to milk foreigners.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
My logic is:
1. People in this thread saying how airlines milk foreigners for domestic routes.

2. Cebu pacific are a penny pinching company but yet they do not do this (as far as domestic flights go) and I found that strange because they are exactly the type of company you would expect to try to milk foreigners.
Nope. They are saying that they provide discounts to locals to increase business.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WhiteLightsLeadToRedLights
I was told that the sales price was limited to passport holders of another country.
Are you sure about this rather than residents or point of sale?

I don't believe any US legacy carrier has systems in place to link any particular fare to certain passport holders only.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 7:49 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Nope. They are saying that they provide discounts to locals to increase business.
It's the same effective thing and we all know it. (See discussions about the gas stations with the "discount for cash".)

And yes, their are ways to phrase it to make it legal almost anywhere. Not just airlines that do it. Hotels, rental cars, tourist attractions, etc. Happens almost everywhere including the U.S....the prices you pay for many things in touristy areas of Florida, Hawaii, etc. are often double or triple unless you have a local with you who knows the ropes and can (in some cases) make the purchases for you, showing local ID. Not terribly different than having a Chinese friend with you as you tour Beijing vs. doing it on your own.

In my experience buying tickets on U.S. airlines in particular, I haven't noticed it...but I've also never extensively tested it by scouring the international websites and advertisements that AA or UA have out there. Nor do I have a credit card based in some other country.

The main complaint I hear here on FT is U.S. rental car agencies gouging foreigners. Sometimes it appears that there are ways around it, sometimes not.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 1:46 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Cruise lines do this all the time, it's based on residency though not passport held.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 3:09 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
It's sometimes even more localized, for example... Many businesses in Hawaii have discounted Kama'aina Rates only for residents of the state, including for leisure and travel services, hotels, etc. Disney World has discounted tickets for Florida residents.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 1:55 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Often1
Many carriers make special fares and deals available to to residents of only certain regions or countries. Examples include Eurail Pass for US residents.

This is not discrimination for reasons of national origin. It is price discrimination which is based on the market.
Are you certain about this? No selling a product in a market A which is sold in market A based on residence (or nationality, age, sex, or race) would clearly be discrimination.
I had no issue buying Eurail passes in Asia and was never asked to demonstrate residency. For JR passes however, they do ask.

Twice I did buy ethnic fares on TG. Had to find a TA who was willing to sell them to me. And on the second one, I experienced trouble when checking for the return. Sup wanted me to pay the fare difference and I had to intimidate her with the the prospect of having to testify in Europe
Old Mar 28, 2015, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
It's the same effective thing and we all know it. (See discussions about the gas stations with the "discount for cash".)
Mathematically it's the same. Motivation is entirely different. Kind of like senior citizens discounts. Does offering the 80 year old $1 off his movie ticket mean you're gouging everyone else?
Old Mar 28, 2015, 10:35 am
Suspended

Here in the U.S., I can never get the Kama'aina rates when I'm in Hawaii.

I can, however, get the Southern California resident price for Disneyland tickets (not that I care to go there).

So it most assuredly is not entirely illegal in the U.S.

Edit: I see that 84fiero has beaten me to this post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.