Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

travel to a strange city and get a 34 in 30 ticket... fine is $235... ripoff?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

travel to a strange city and get a 34 in 30 ticket... fine is $235... ripoff?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:05 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by DougDons
To follow up on my other post, my speeding ticket court date was today and the lawyer emailed the following results: 90 Day Deferred Disposition and fine+court costs of $224. So, just got to make sure I don't get another speeding ticket in the city and the ticket will be dismissed from my driving record.

So it seems like the $50 I spent on the lawyer was worth it, assuming my insurance would have gone up with the ticket on my driving record.
Thanks for coming back here to let us know how it turned out. With so many of these advice threads we never learn the outcome.

I'm impressed that your lawyer charged only $50. When I was in graduate school there was a jurisdiction about 30 miles away on one of the main highways that was notorious for rejecting all arguments laypeople made in their own defense in traffic court. Lawyers there charged $500 to represent you (still a savings compared to the insurance premium hike for points on your record), and that was in twenty years ago dollars.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Thanks for coming back here to let us know how it turned out. With so many of these advice threads we never learn the outcome.

I'm impressed that your lawyer charged only $50. When I was in graduate school there was a jurisdiction about 30 miles away on one of the main highways that was notorious for rejecting all arguments laypeople made in their own defense in traffic court. Lawyers there charged $500 to represent you (still a savings compared to the insurance premium hike for points on your record), and that was in twenty years ago dollars.
Wow, $500 is pretty steep. The firm that I went with usually charges $40, but since my ticket was in a city a little outside of Dallas, they charged an extra $10.

I've got to imagine there is little work involved with these types of cases since they charge so little.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:38 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Not all states count speeding convictions out-of-state in their point system; NYS for example only counts Ontario and Quebec.
I don't know if other states have taken traffic infractions out of their "court" systems. In NYS in several counties (mostly with large cities) have gone over to an Adjudication system, your case is NOT heard by a JUDGE but a (lawyer) hearing examiner--he/she has limited powers; they cannot turn a moving violation into (say) an "equipment failure".
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:05 am

Programs: AA, United, British Airways, Alaska Air
Originally Posted by caverunner17
God help you if you ever drive on the highways in the Chicago suburbs. The speed limit is 55MPH, yet everyone goes 65-70. If you go 55, you become a hazard.
This is SO true. I drive from the Northern suburbs to the Western suburbs every day for work, and everyone here drives super fast. In fact, I'd say everyone goes faster than 65-70; it's more like 70+ usually... in some spots the speed limit has recently gone up to 60 so that means people are driving faster now than before. I've been tailgated in the left lane before when I was going 80 - pretty crazy!
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:22 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Sorry to hear your experience. Seems like a speed trap town. Happened to me in rural Iowa. If you want to fight the ticket for your own satisfaction, that is one thing, but otherwise it would be best to pay up and be careful in future - especially in small towns and when out of state.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.