Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your worst jetlag experience?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Over the years, I've learnt that jetlag is something you learned to cope with or mitigate with pills or sleep/activity patterns. But its not something you can really overcome. You try to get around it, but the effects will always be there if you fly across more than X number of time zones.

So, what is the worst jetlag experience you've had?

Last edited by WindowSeat123; Mar 2, 2015 at 11:12 pm
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Coming back from BKK to CLT earlier this year.

The DW and I were wiped out for days!
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:47 pm

Coming back from Oz a few years back, MEL-LAX on VA in Z. I think the open, help yourself bar in the VA biz class area contributed... Live and learn!
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:51 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Anytime I sleep through the entire trip.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
I spent a large part of my career working at a rotational job site where everyone worked 4 weeks then went home for 4 weeks. 1 1/2 day commute across 3 continents to get there. Every meeting I ever attended included half the people yawning almost constantly and at least 1 or 2 nodding off.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:05 pm

I was so asleep while riding a train in Geneva that when it stopped, I manually opened the door on the wrong side of the train and stepped into the tunnel. It took me longer than I would have thought to realize it.

Just recently, I was in a store not longer after a flight and looked up and literally had no idea where I was. Genuinely started to panic. Had to stop, calm down, and pull out my phone to see where I was.

If I had a dollar for every meeting I've fallen a asleep in...
Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:12 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MissJ
I was so asleep while riding a train in Geneva that when it stopped, I manually opened the door on the wrong side of the train and stepped into the tunnel. It took me longer than I would have thought to realize it.
No kidding...

During a trip in 2006, I had just landed in Bombay when I got on a train at the Cotton Green station. It must've been the jet lag because I had apparently boarded the women-only carriage. I hastily jumped off the slowly-moving (it never did stop at any station) train, bruised my knee and then jumped into another carriage.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:25 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE

HNL-CDG. Years ago flying F. Thought I would try timing melatonin across two nights of flying. Ended up with worst jet lag ever. The Paris part of the trip is still a blur. Lucky there were three more weeks about the EU.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
The adage that it takes one day for each hour of time change is absolutely my experience. The trouble is that most of my 8-hour time change trips are for only six days so I'm out for basically two weeks.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 6:37 am

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
I spent a large part of my career working at a rotational job site where everyone worked 4 weeks then went home for 4 weeks. 1 1/2 day commute across 3 continents to get there. Every meeting I ever attended included half the people yawning almost constantly and at least 1 or 2 nodding off.
Although technically not 'jet lag', the curse of rotating shifts is horrid.
In a previous life, I worked in the nuclear navy (US). While bringing a new aircraft carrier to life (CVN-74), we were worked to death.
Rotating shifts:
5 days 1st shift (0700-1700), one day off.
5 days 2nd shift (1300-2300), two days off.
5 days of 3rd shift (2200-0800), three days off...then repeat from the top.
On one occasion, I walked into the #2 reactor control room (EOS), and found all five operators sound asleep at their stations.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:03 am

Programs: AA
My first real jet lag was the first time I traveled to Asia and back to the U.S.

I thought jet lag was just a description for feeling tired or having sleep patterns disrupted for a night or two, so wasn't really prepared.

The day after returning, I slogged through work in that tired but still-amped-up way. No problem.

The next day started out OK, maybe a little tired. I went out for a run and just about fainted. I had to sit down while my heart raced, then walked back home. Then later, I was sitting at a friend's house and again almost fainted..just felt really nauseous and lightheaded.

After that, it was fine. I experienced the same thing each subsequent trip, but was prepared...it's always two days after the return for me.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:34 am

Last year I reputed my ear drum on a trip to Asia, for the flight back I took medication and slept 12 of the 14 hour flight. We landed at 11:30 pm, and I was wide awake. It took almost 2 weeks to get straightened out after that.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:41 am

Programs: BA GfL
I don't suffer much at all from jet lag, but one trip really got me--flew PHL-LAX and stayed for three days, then flew LAX-SVO. My five days in Moscow were absolutely awful. But generally I am pretty free of problems due to my ability to just stay awake for a really long time on the day I arrive, so that I go to bed at the "normal" time for that time zone. Usually by the second day I'm fine.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:48 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Mine was YUL-ZRH where I arrived 6am local time...then flew out 10pm local time to Honk Kong. By the time I got to the hotel in HK, I was totally out of it.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by backprop
My first real jet lag was the first time I traveled to Asia and back to the U.S.

I thought jet lag was just a description for feeling tired or having sleep patterns disrupted for a night or two, so wasn't really prepared.

The day after returning, I slogged through work in that tired but still-amped-up way. No problem.

The next day started out OK, maybe a little tired. I went out for a run and just about fainted. I had to sit down while my heart raced, then walked back home. Then later, I was sitting at a friend's house and again almost fainted..just felt really nauseous and lightheaded.

After that, it was fine. I experienced the same thing each subsequent trip, but was prepared...it's always two days after the return for me.
I've experienced similar issues, physiologically speaking. Sometimes my brain just goes haywire. I also check my blood sugar levels pretty closely and notice that after a significant flight (say anything over a six to seven time zone change), my readings can take weeks to get completely back to normal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.