Wiki Posts
Search

Child Free Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by steveben53
Quote:

Originally Posted by obscure2k

When posting a reply, please take in to consideration whether the OP is new to FT. It is disconcerting to see long time members post a snarky response to a well meaning new member.
Good manners and civility please.
Thanks...
O2K

Well said, and thank you !
Yes. FT is a dynamic community. Just because something has been discussed a thousand times doesn't mean new members shouldn't be able to contribute as well
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
OK, I'll try to say this in a non-snarky manner: I don't believe any broad subgroup of the population should be banned from public transportation in the U.S. In fact, it feels odd to actually have to say this in 2015. Making certain groups sit in the back didn't really work for us either. If Malaysia has done this, and it's consistent with their laws and values as a society, then I can disagree with it from afar from can't really do anything about it. But what the OP suggests does not exist in America and hopefully never will.

If a small market existed for this, someone might try it under the guise of being a private charter. But I'm not even aware of that happening in any kind of scale.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:43 am

Programs: United 1K (Star Alliance Gold) IHG Platinum
As a mother of 4 I am fairly patient and the only kids I have a problem with are ones that fly business class.. and this includes my OWN KIDS. I made the mistake of using some upgrades to fly my kids from ORD to MCO and back. OMG my little 5 year old turned into an obnoxious diva when she found out that "the lady brings me soda whenever I ask." Yes kids, in first/biz, you get to have an adult wait on you hand and foot! This is terrible for little egos..

Most first/biz class kids seem to act this same way. Hubby and I have sworn off any sort of upgrades for our younger kids.

Last edited by burbuja0512; Mar 4, 2015 at 8:49 am
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:58 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Originally Posted by pinniped
OK, I'll try to say this in a non-snarky manner: I don't believe any broad subgroup of the population should be banned from public transportation in the U.S. In fact, it feels odd to actually have to say this in 2015. Making certain groups sit in the back didn't really work for us either. If Malaysia has done this, and it's consistent with their laws and values as a society, then I can disagree with it from afar from can't really do anything about it. But what the OP suggests does not exist in America and hopefully never will.

If a small market existed for this, someone might try it under the guise of being a private charter. But I'm not even aware of that happening in any kind of scale.
Not at all sure that paying extra to be on a child free flight is banning anyone from public transport any more that paying more to sit up the pointy end is banning less well off pax from flying.
But we appear to be going round in circles here. As I said before, it all boils down to (mostly) consideration for others.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:09 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lloydah
Not at all sure that paying extra to be on a child free flight is banning anyone from public transport any more that paying more to sit up the pointy end is banning less well off pax from flying.
The difference is that if the person who you deem "less well off" (by appearance, skin color, religion, age, whatever...) actually shows up and pays the F fare, they get to sit in the pointy end. You are paying for the service: not paying to prevent entire other demographics from using the service.

An airline is free to offer a super-premium or highly unusual service if they like, effectively limiting their target market to a very niche segment. But if someone from outside the perceived segment buys a ticket, they shouldn't be banned from boarding.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:05 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by pinniped

What does legality have to do with it? it's not illegal to have sectioned rooms for different age groups.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 12:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Skywards Silver
In a couple of weeks my other half and I are going away for the weekend to a hotel that has a child free policy. This particular chain of hotels is becoming more and more popular, in fact our first two date choices were fully booked.

So maybe there is a market for it. I know that if I were faced with a long haul flight and had the option of paying an extra hundred pounds or so for a child free flight, that is something I would certainly consider.

And yes, I know, adults can also be a pain in the **** on a flight
Old Mar 9, 2015, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by paul4040
Children are people too. I don't get why some people are so intolerant of them.

Live and let live.
Those are the people who are to immature to understand that theese children will be the doctors and nurses that will look after you a few years down the line,to them theirs!!
Old Mar 9, 2015, 10:08 pm
Suspended

I was recently on a flight from Orlando to London. There were a large number of children ranging from screaming babies to very loud teenagers who made the flight a nightmare.

Would you pay extra for a child free flight and if so how much you be prepared to pay over and above the normal economy fare ?
Were you wearing $.5 earplugs by any chance? They shut out the noise of kids.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:05 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In a couple of weeks my other half and I are going away for the weekend to a hotel that has a child free policy. This particular chain of hotels is becoming more and more popular, in fact our first two date choices were fully booked.

So maybe there is a market for it. I know that if I were faced with a long haul flight and had the option of paying an extra hundred pounds or so for a child free flight, that is something I would certainly consider.

And yes, I know, adults can also be a pain in the **** on a flight
Please, what's the name of the child-free hotel chain?
Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Please, what's the name of the child-free hotel chain?
Warner Leisure Hotels
Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:12 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Warner Leisure Hotels
This sounds like all inclusive?
Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:27 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by chris19992
Maybe not so much a child free plane but to expand on Malaysia Airlines A380 idea where they don't allow anyone under the age of 12 on the top deck, maybe airlines should make the front and middle sections of planes to be the same with 12 years and under being only seated in the rear section.
Originally Posted by paul4040
Children are people too. I don't get why some people are so intolerant of them.

Live and let live.
My 2yo daughter will be flying biz class in two weeks RDU-CLT-SJO

She is a person and paying for her seat. Get over it or fly private
Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:55 am

I can't believe such child free flights really exist. Children are so natural.
Why don't you just buy the earplugs? It helps me well.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:47 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Originally Posted by Redhead
My 2yo daughter will be flying biz class in two weeks RDU-CLT-SJO

She is a person and paying for her seat. Get over it or fly private
I wish people would stop with the "get over it" replies here. Why should one person have to put up with noise and disturbance that they can't escape from (unless they fly on the wing - which would probably be noisier ) just because someone else thinks it's ok? Of course if there's no disturbance, and by that I mean REAL disturbance - crying for ages/yelling/letting the wee darlings run about - there's no problem. I think the real problem is that some parents simply abrogate responsibility which leaves the child as the perceived "problem".
Never the less, why should others have to "get over it" as though it was their fault. Just as easily say "If you have loud disruptive kids then fly private yourself."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.