Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Independent Money Changers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2015, 8:37 am
Original Poster

When visiting a foreign land do you exchange cash (i.e. USD to YEN) at an independent money changer? Not a place similar to TRAVELEX or a local bank but a back alley or one off changer that has what looks like a fair rate for exchange?
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:00 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
Absolutely in Argentina! Last month I got 13 pesos per dollar at the unofficial rate, would have gotten only 8.5 at the official places.

The great thing is that in Argentina you don't have to risk using shady guys off the street. There are unofficial store-front exchange places that have rent and salaries to pay and reputations to maintain.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Argentina is the exception to the rule with the "Blue Rate" numbers.

Other than that no need to exchange cash at all. Make a withdrawal from the ATM using a no-fee card and don't sweat it at all.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
These days, I'm rarely leaving a country with enough cash for it to matter. I probably arrived in the country, obtained enough cash from an ATM to handle taxis, streetfood, etc. and just blow any remainder at the duty-free shop.

The recent exceptions in my travels...places where cash was still used a bit more often...were India and Nepal. In those cases, I used moneychangers in hotels or on main streets. I forget the brands (I don't think they were the Thomas Cook, Travelex, etc. you see in European airports), but they definitely didn't have a back-alley or black market feel to them.

I remember in Nepal, every moneychanger had an exact government-set rate. No commissions and it didn't matter if you were changing ten bucks or $500. If there was some underworld where better rates were available, I never found it. (Not that I was looking for it!)
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Be very cautious of Travelex and other similar companies. But be aware that you can sometimes negotiate a better rate.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ate-avoid.html

I prefer independents because I always get a better rate.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by michaelpowell44
When visiting a foreign land do you exchange cash (i.e. USD to YEN) at an independent money changer? Not a place similar to TRAVELEX or a local bank but a back alley or one off changer that has what looks like a fair rate for exchange?
Whenever I can....usually get the best rates with no commission,especially in Hong Kong.I always avoid the "chain" bureau de changes......
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres

ATMs and credit cards always give better rates than money changers, so except for Argentina just do that. only use money changers for the small overage you have when leaving the country.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
ATMs and credit cards always give better rates than money changers, so except for Argentina just do that. only use money changers for the small overage you have when leaving the country.
Do you have experience of that?
Old Feb 24, 2015, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Travelex is a ripoff. End of story.

Banks should generally be ok, but almost always take longer, require paperwork, etc

I've changed money at independent changers all over the world, in Africa, one often changed money at land borders with shady guys with small calculators. The only way to do it. In Myanmar years ago (before it became hip) the highest note was 1000 and exchange rate of 2400:1, one always walked away with a stack of bills - and the only way to change money was with guys with plastic bags full of bills outside of the airport - or at shops in the city.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 3:35 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
It really depends on how much of a unofficial market exists for your home currency. In Argentina, absolutely use independent forex places. In Myanmar last year, the small unofficial shops in Yangon usually gave a slightly better rate than the official ones.

Though most other places, the Visa forex rate at ATMs is certainly the easiest and cheapest if you have a no-forex-fee card.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 3:57 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by jubberly
Do you have experience of that?
I have experience with everything I said.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
In most countries that have currency controls and a big difference between official and black market rates, exchanging on the street can land you in jail.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 9:49 am

I have experience with everything I said.
Then we have had different experiences.For me,using my credit card gives me, not only a poor exchange rate, in comparison to an independent money exchange company...but an additional 2.5% foreign exchange fee.OUCH!

Totally contrary to what you posted....

Old Feb 25, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by jubberly
Then we have had different experiences.For me,using my credit card gives me, not only a poor exchange rate, in comparison to an independent money exchange company...but an additional 2.5% foreign exchange fee.OUCH!

Totally contrary to what you posted....
Anyone who travels outside of their home country should use a card with no forex fees. I see that you're in Canada, so I realize that there aren't too many cards with this option. But I know that Chase offers one.

USD-JPY
Spot Rate (from XE): 1 USD:118.4 JPY
Visa Rate (from visa.com): 1 USD:118.4 JPY

I've never seen an independent shop match the market rate.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 12:36 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
In most countries that have currency controls and a big difference between official and black market rates, exchanging on the street can land you in jail.
I took multiple chances in Myanmar and Venezuela - in the latter, I wandered around pedestrian street called Sábana Grande asking numerous store managers if they were willing to exchange dollars - because the countries would be prohibitively expensive otherwise.

Argentina seems to be another country where it behooves those with access to a select few foreign currencies to do exchanges at unofficial locations...and now I need to find someone who can do a trade with me in NY for one of the new 50-peso notes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.