Do you bother with Business Visas?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you bother with Business Visas?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2015, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
Depends on the country.

Just attended a conference in Turkey and a standard tourist visa was acceptable for a US passport holder. Ditto for going to a conference in Canada.

And there may have been one or two trips where I did not have the appropriate visa for the work I was doing. Managed to get away with it, though one was a close call (sent to secondary immigration)
Let me give you an example. If you are coming to the US to attend a conference, you don't need a business visa. So if you are coming to attend Comicon, you don't need a business visa. But if you are coming to have a booth at Comicon, you do.

Similar to the Oracle convention in SF every year. You don't need a business visa to attend the conference, even if you boss sent you there. But you do need one if you're going to display, even if you're not collecting any money or actually selling anything.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by zkzkz

What countries don't require a visa for tourists but do for business troops like attending a conference or meetings?
Peru is one such country. I get a work visa when I go for business. My company pays. I have a US passport
Old Feb 27, 2015, 9:27 pm

Programs: OneWorld, Star Alliance, SkyTeam, AMEX
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Let me give you an example. If you are coming to the US to attend a conference, you don't need a business visa. So if you are coming to attend Comicon, you don't need a business visa. But if you are coming to have a booth at Comicon, you do.

Similar to the Oracle convention in SF every year. You don't need a business visa to attend the conference, even if you boss sent you there. But you do need one if you're going to display, even if you're not collecting any money or actually selling anything.

Oh my goodness, so much misinformation in this thread. This is so incorrect.

Activities generally covered by B1 or Visa Waiver (Reference: http://london.usembassy.gov/b1.html)

Selling

An individual traveling to the United States to take part in an exhibition, set up an exhibition booth, display samples, sign contracts, and take orders for merchandise produced in and delivered from the United Kingdom, may be eligible for a B-1 visa or visa free travel under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP).

Speaker/Lecturer

If you are traveling to the United States in connection with a speaking engagement you may travel on a B-1 visa or visa free under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) provided there is no remuneration from a U.S.source, other than expenses incidental to the visit. Speakers/lectures who will receive an honorarium in addition to incidental expenses may still be eligible for the B-1 visa or travel under the VWP provided all of the following are met:

- the activities will last no longer than nine days at a single institution;
- the institution is a nonprofit research organization or a governmental research organization, or an institution of higher education, or a related or affiliated nonprofit entity.
- such activities are conducted for the benefit of the institution or entity; and
- the speaker/lecturer has not accepted such payment or expenses from five such institutions during the previous six month period.

Conference

Participants in scientific, educational, professional, or business conventions, conferences or seminars may travel to the United States on B-1 visas or visa free travel under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). The B-1 visa or travel under the VWP is also appropriate if presenting a paper at the conference, provided there is no remuneration from a U.S. source other than expenses incidental to the stay. Those who will receive an honorarium in addition to incidental expenses will only be eligible for the B-1 visa or travel under the VWP if all of the following are met:

the activities will last no longer than nine days at a single institution;
the institution is a nonprofit research organization or a governmental research organization, or an institution of higher education, or a related or affiliated nonprofit entity.
such activities are conducted for the benefit of the institution or entity; and
the delegate has not accepted such payment or expenses from five such institutions during the previous six month period.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 6:37 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by johnspenceruk
[/B]

Activities generally covered by B1 or Visa Waiver (Reference: http://london.usembassy.gov/b1.html)

Selling

An individual traveling to the United States to take part in an exhibition, set up an exhibition booth, display samples, sign contracts, and take orders for merchandise produced in and delivered from the United Kingdom, may be eligible for a B-1 visa or visa free travel under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP).

Speaker/Lecturer

If you are traveling to the United States in connection with a speaking engagement you may travel on a B-1 visa or visa free under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) provided there is no remuneration from a U.S.source, other than expenses incidental to the visit. Speakers/lectures who will receive an honorarium in addition to incidental expenses may still be eligible for the B-1 visa or travel under the VWP provided all of the following are met:

- the activities will last no longer than nine days at a single institution;
- the institution is a nonprofit research organization or a governmental research organization, or an institution of higher education, or a related or affiliated nonprofit entity.
- such activities are conducted for the benefit of the institution or entity; and
- the speaker/lecturer has not accepted such payment or expenses from five such institutions during the previous six month period.

Conference

Participants in scientific, educational, professional, or business conventions, conferences or seminars may travel to the United States on B-1 visas or visa free travel under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). The B-1 visa or travel under the VWP is also appropriate if presenting a paper at the conference, provided there is no remuneration from a U.S. source other than expenses incidental to the stay. Those who will receive an honorarium in addition to incidental expenses will only be eligible for the B-1 visa or travel under the VWP if all of the following are met:

the activities will last no longer than nine days at a single institution;
the institution is a nonprofit research organization or a governmental research organization, or an institution of higher education, or a related or affiliated nonprofit entity.
such activities are conducted for the benefit of the institution or entity; and
the delegate has not accepted such payment or expenses from five such institutions during the previous six month period.
Of course, the OP, as a Canadian citizen, falls under still different rules under NAFTA.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
There are public entry rules, there is NAFTA which give Canadian certain priviledges over the bsic rules.

But at the end of the day, IME it is the USCBP officer's that has the final decision about your eligibility for admission.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:49 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by tentseller
There are public entry rules, there is NAFTA which give Canadian certain priviledges over the bsic rules.

But at the end of the day, IME it is the USCBP officer's that has the final decision about your eligibility for admission.
...which is something we haven't talked about too much on this thread. At the end of the day, both your intentions and the rules are subject to the interpretation of the individual CBP officer. The more clearly you fit into the terms under which you are trying to be admitted, the less leeway the CBP officer has for an interpretation which is unfavorable to you.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
I always get a Business Visa if I am going to be conducting any business at all - it is just too big of a risk not to. Thank goodness, China (where I go often) has just authorized a 10-year visa for U.S. citizens, including the M Business Visa.

As an aside, my boss and I went to Canada a few years ago. He was ahead of me in the Immigration line. When asked, he said he was going to meetings at one of our plants in Canada. He was told he could not enter without a work visa. I, being very astute, said I was there to sightsee the country. I had to conduct the meetings in his absence.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by johnspenceruk
[/B]

Selling

Speaker/Lecturer

If you are traveling to the United States in connection with a speaking engagement you may travel on a B-1 visa or visa free under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) provided there is no remuneration from a U.S.source, other than expenses incidental to the visit. Speakers/lectures who will receive an honorarium in addition to incidental expenses may still be eligible for the B-1 visa or travel under the VWP provided all of the following are met.
Not sure where that site is getting all of this.

I was with a colleague from Indonesia (we flew to the US together) going to the Oracle Conference in SF. He was going to set up a display. He had a tourist visa. Immigration denied him entry when he told them he would be displaying at the conference.

As far as speaking, if you are getting paid, even if you're not getting paid by a local entity, you are required to pay state income tax (assuming the state has one). Which means you have to report it as work which means you need a business visa.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:40 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by gooselee
Don't many countries issue a 2nd passport explicitly for this purpose?
Some do. Many don't. Also it can take a while to get some visas due to no nearby representation. For example some I've investigated getting in the past requested my passport be sent to UK for processing - I'm based as far away from UK as it is possible to get.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.