Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sitting on the floor next to the exit door

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2015, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Sitting on the floor next to the exit door

I try to get seats near the exit doors for the added legroom, and the nice open space to get up and walk around or stand in. Sometimes I'd just like to sit down there; after all it's out of the way, and a welcome relief from hours of sitting in my seat.

If anyone's done this, has a stewardess said anything? Or are they normally pretty mellow about passengers who sit on the floors in the areas outside the aisles?
Old Feb 19, 2015, 8:02 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
I would think that the FA's don't much like people sitting around the floor, especially at the main exit doors.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 8:22 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
They like it even less when you call them "stewardess."
Old Feb 19, 2015, 8:26 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Brko, there are also one or more safety issues, if you're sitting on the floor of an airplane during flight. For example, there's no seat belt, so if clear air or other sudden turbulence arises, you could be injured. That's why most airline crew would not allow it.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
It's also out of reach of the oxygen masks.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 9:00 pm

Programs: Platinum, HH Diamond
I'll admit to putting down a sarong and doing a few stretches because of my back. Not for long but long enough to one day end up on a thread here or that Passenger Shaming twitter site.

My next long haul I have the Virgin mini cabin so Im absolutely planning on doing a few stretches but hiding behind the row 5 curtain.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
They like it even less when you call them "stewardess."
Particularly if they are male.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 10:26 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
The floor seems like it would be awfully uncomfortable anyway...not like there is padding under the carpet like in your living room. For a break from sitting in the seat I usually like to stand/walk even if just to the lav and back.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 3:30 am

Programs: WoH Globalist
What is wrong with calling the cabin crew "stewards"? After all, isn't that what their job title is?

https://www.google.com.kw/webhp?sour...TF-8#q=steward

a person employed to look after the passengers on a ship, aircraft, or train
Old Feb 20, 2015, 4:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by aceboy44
What is wrong with calling the cabin crew "stewards"? After all, isn't that what their job title is?

a person employed to look after the passengers on a ship, aircraft, or train
In Asia it seems they pretty much use the term Cabin Attendant. In the US, typically I hear Flight Attendant used. Stewardess is more akin to the PanAm Boeing 707 era.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum

The definition of a word does not mean that it's anyone's job title. The noun "cop" means police officer, but I don't think you'll find any police department anywhere that uses it as a job title.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 6:42 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite

Ships still have the position of Steward/ess.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 7:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Don't do it. The FA's will consider it a safety issue. The passengers sitting there will consider it rude. During the flight, it's basically their foot space. During takeoff/landing, it might be shared with an FA jumpseat.

Besides, who *wants* to sit on the floor of an airplane? Gross.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 11:04 am

Last edited by brendog; Nov 11, 2015 at 7:51 pm
Old Feb 21, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
If you did this on a flight I was on, I would assume you might be either a terrorist or mentally unstable. If you can't stay in your seat a majority of the time, don't fly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.