Cheapest you paid for a flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheapest you paid for a flight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2015, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HH Diamond, Delta Platinum
SEA (Seattle) to SIN (Singapore), all the time...for free. I did put in a lot of blood, sweat and tears for the privilege, though.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 8:13 pm

'Twa had a promotion in the 80's for a 10 dollar addon fare via helicopter from jfk/ewr to Manhattan. I did it on a great summer day - super treat. Don't think it lasted long. I was flying from pit on business so my fare was cheap to begin with.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 3:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I think I broke my own record for a regular paid ticket...yesterday.

Bought two R/T's on Spirit for a base fare of -7 cents each and a total all-in cost of $16 each way for MCI-ORD. I realize it's their own stupid junk fee system that leads to negative base fares, but it's still a receipt I'll probably save for posterity. If my math is right, the Feds get about $6 and Spirit keeps about $10.

I know I've mocked the whole Spirit concept before. But UA/AA/WN were all 8 to 10 times more expensive, so I guess I found out what my price is.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 7:25 am

Programs: BA Bronze
$4 MFM-BKI on AK. Experience was so scary I cancelled my onward ticket and booked BI instead at many times the cost.

A number of flights on FR for dirt cheap, can't remember exact cost.

Cheapest long-haul I've had was $440 LGW-HKG-LGW inc. tax on O8. On mainline carriers, best ticket I've had was probably LX MAN-ZRH-DME-ZRH-MAN for $185, though I did get stuck in Zurich for 6 days on the way back due to Eyjafjallajökull.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 3:57 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by go_around
$4 MFM-BKI on AK. Experience was so scary I cancelled my onward ticket and booked BI instead at many times the cost.
Could you please add some more details? I had 16 flights with airasia and never had any concerns.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 4:15 pm

$287.20 RT LAX to EZE in August 2009 on Mexicana
Old Feb 27, 2015, 5:00 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
In Hawaii, you could buy coupon books (with like 10 or so flight coupons) for both Hawaiian and Aloha Airlines to fly their interinland routes. I think I paid $19 per segment. You just went to the airport and gave them the coupon and they printed a boarding pass. They don't sell coupon books anymore and I think most fares are $40-60 each segment.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 6:10 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by invisible
Could you please add some more details? I had 16 flights with airasia and never had any concerns.
Toilet blocked and overflowing, caused delayed boarding (then toilet was not operational later in the flight). Upon boarding, noticed what looked like chips out of the engine cowling. Takeoff was one of the steepest I've ever felt, then climbing in sharp step manoeuvres which I don't recall having felt elsewhere. During the flight (with thunderstorms nearby) one of the flight crew was in the toilet while the other was walking through the cabin talking to passengers. I don't know if a third crew member was in the cockpit, but either way the cockpit door remained open for several minutes with no crew visible inside from where I was sitting. This was 8 years ago and I don't know whether it's an isolated experience or things have since changed, but it was enough to put me off the airline for good.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 3:10 am

£10 return LDY-STN
Old Mar 5, 2015, 3:23 am

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
I paid 1 cent per ticket for 6 tickets. FR once had a very short lived 'promotion' to give away tickets for just 1 cent. I managed to get a hold of 6 of them.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
Originally Posted by UltraRant
I paid 1 cent per ticket for 6 tickets. FR once had a very short lived 'promotion' to give away tickets for just 1 cent. I managed to get a hold of 6 of them.
I did something similar. 24p for 12 return tickets from EMA to DUB including all fees (yes 24p was the actual charge on my CC with now more money to pay at all).

In the end, only 4 of us actually went. But it was cheaper to buy everyone a ticket rather than sending them a text to ask if they wanted to go to Dublin for the day.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
$260 RT for ORD-DUB back in 2005 when AA had that epic sale. I got in on the $380 RT LAX-SYD deal when Qantas introduced the A380 back in 2008 as well.

On a pure dollar basis, they're not impressive, but given the length of the flights and the fact that they were legit fares and not "tricked", I think they're quasi-impressive.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:08 pm

$7.77 Las Vegas to Reno RT, I don't remember, but I think it was Eastern in the late 70's introducing a new route. I took a date to the Reno airport got drunk, flew home to LAS same night, never left the Reno airport

Originally Posted by CMK10
And they say romance is dead
It actually it kind of was, I was maybe 23 at the time.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:26 pm

Programs: CI Paragon, AF Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Shangri-La Jade
$300 SFO-TPE during SARS scare. 4 people including myself on a B747.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 7:05 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
Originally Posted by ChrL
I did something similar. 24p for 12 return tickets from EMA to DUB including all fees (yes 24p was the actual charge on my CC with now more money to pay at all).

In the end, only 4 of us actually went. But it was cheaper to buy everyone a ticket rather than sending them a text to ask if they wanted to go to Dublin for the day.
Those were the days! I booked plenty of Ryanair flights at 1p until the prices started creeping up. As did no doubt many others, I sometimes booked flights for X number of friends even if they all weren't sure about coming, or 1p outwards with multiple returns so I could decide on the day when to return. Or, on one occasion, 5 separate 1p day returns where I'd decide on the day at the airport where I'd go!

This truly was 1p, with no additional taxes or fees, as long as you had the right card (Visa Electron at the time, which I acquired specially for this purpose).

Even today though FR are offering STN-RYG for £6.99 including all taxes and fees. Great for positioning moves

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.