Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How to react when FA's asked you to close your window blind?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2015, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WoH Globalist

Hello folks

I have been traveling for quiet a while now on long-haul flights in business class, and I have a topic on my head where I would appreciate your feedback.

On some of my flights the FA's force me to close my window blinds. When I refuse they personally approach me in a rude and firm manner and ask me to close it again!

The questions I have here are: Do the FA's have the right to force me to close my window blinds if I don't want to? Can I face legal prosecution if I refuse to close my window blinds if I ask the FA to provide me with a written document stating that it's the airline's policy to keep the window blinds closed through-out the flight? And finally, what would you do if you were in my shoes?

I really had enough with the FA's actions. When I pay a premium price to sit in a business class in a window seat, then I do have the right to look out the window. Don't you guys agree as well? Or what exactly is the solution here?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 9:39 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
The actions you might face for not obeying crew directions would probably vary by country.

Not surprisingly, this topic has actually been discussed before, here are a few to get you started:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...de-closed.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...al-flight.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...dow-shade.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...ades-down.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...must-down.html
Old Jan 30, 2015, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Hmm..... What is the worst that can happen to me if I refuse to close my window blinds? What is the maximum punishment?

So the FA's can force me to close my window blinds..... even if they don't have written confirmation from the airline itself that it is their policy to close it?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 9:51 pm

The worst? You'll be met at the gate and arrested for failure to follow a crew member's instruction.

edit: I should say that's in the US. In other countries YMMV on what could happen.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
You've already asked this question multiple times in other threads you've started. You didn't like the answer then, you won't like it now.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:28 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by aceboy44
Hello folks

I have been traveling for quiet a while now on long-haul flights in business class, and I have a topic on my head where I would appreciate your feedback.

On some of my flights the FA's force me to close my window blinds. When I refuse they personally approach me in a rude and firm manner and ask me to close it again!

The questions I have here are: Do the FA's have the right to force me to close my window blinds if I don't want to? Can I face legal prosecution if I refuse to close my window blinds if I ask the FA to provide me with a written document stating that it's the airline's policy to keep the window blinds closed through-out the flight? And finally, what would you do if you were in my shoes?

I really had enough with the FA's actions. When I pay a premium price to sit in a business class in a window seat, then I do have the right to look out the window. Don't you guys agree as well? Or what exactly is the solution here?

[Moderator edit per FT Rules.]

Have you thought about the rights of other passengers in business class who may want to sleep?
What's the solution? Obey crew instructions; close the shade. Maybe be nice and say "I really like looking out the window. Could you let me know when I could raise it again? Thanks so much! "
If you want to be able to do whatever you want on the plane, fly private.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jan 31, 2015 at 11:16 am Reason: FT Rule 12.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam1222
[Conforming moderator edit.]
Have you thought about the rights of other passengers in business class who may want to sleep?
What's the solution? Obey crew instructions; close the shade. Maybe be nice and say "I really like looking out the window. Could you let me know when I could raise it again? Thanks so much! "
[Conforming moderator edit.] It's not like I'm playing a very loud music/video with an ipad that would cause noise pollution..... Be logical mate.

Oh so other business class passengers have the right to sleep, but I (whom also happened to be a business class passenger as well) don't have the right to look out the window? Have you ever considered the sole purpose of eye shades that are distributed in amenity kits on long haul flights? You might want to try one of these if you wanted to know the sole purpose of them....

I have paid a premium price to have a pleasant journey. In addition, I have pre-booked my window seat in advance, so in order to look out the window I must ask permission for that? [Moderator edit to remove unduly personalized text.]

If you want to sleep with window blinds closed, why don't you fly private jet? We are all in this together so if you want to have a good sleep put your eye shades on and hush...... For me I enjoy looking out the window...

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jan 31, 2015 at 6:15 pm Reason: Per FT Rule 12.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 4:43 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Don't worry, with the 787, if the FA wants the windows dark, they'll be dark.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by aceboy44
[Moderator edit.] It's not like I'm playing a very loud music/video with an ipad that would cause noise pollution..... Be logical mate.
You're shining a bright light into a darkened cabin where people are trying to sleep.

In other cases your bright light might prevent others from seeing the screen on the IFE.

Why? So you can see the tops of clouds.

The FA gives you an instruction. Follow it.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jan 31, 2015 at 6:19 pm
Old Jan 31, 2015, 7:36 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam1222
You know what the airlines should do? They should give people eyemasks in business class. One time in Delta Economy Comfort, the passenger next to me asked me to turn off my overhead light. I didn't, because we figured out that my light WAS turned off. it was HIS overhead light that was the problem, and we couldn't get it turned off. The FA couldn't either, so she found him an eyemask. As much as they charge in business class, they should have things like that. Maybe it could be in a little zippered bag and they could put other amenities in it. They could call it an "amenity kit" or something like that.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jan 31, 2015 at 6:21 pm Reason: See note above.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
[Edited to remove quote of post since deleted.]

At last some sense talked. Anyhow, it's simple really. Obey the crew member instruction, then open it again later when you want to look out. I'm not quite clear why the "rights" of sleeping passengers on day flights supercede the "rights" of passengers trying to stay awake and be productive on day flights.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jan 31, 2015 at 6:23 pm Reason: See note above.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

so, we get a 10 piece band in first. 7 of them are head-bangerrs, and they all brought their guitars. does majority rule?

i read, or do business work. most of the planes have crummy lighting systems for spread work.

i did not think the fa could "order" me to put down my blind. if so, what is the limit of "orders from fa"?

most down blinders at 11am want to watch the latest garbage on telly.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jan 31, 2015 at 6:23 pm Reason: See note above.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 11:18 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
This thread has become much more about the OP than about the topic. Posting repeated personalized insults -- on "both" sides -- reflects poorly on this Community and the purposes of FlyerTalk. Thread closed. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.