Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US citizens: who issued your passport?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

US citizens: who issued your passport?

Am currently going through the process of getting a temporary work permit for a short term contract in Italy (what a PITA) and one question I was asked today was what authority issued my passport. Now I know ultimately all US passports are issued by the State Department, but in the past, my passports usually had "San Francisco, CA, Passport Office" or the last one said "Charleston, SC, Passport Office" on it. My new one, the first one I've renewed online, actually says "United States Department of State" as the issuing authority.

Is that new? Unique to the online renewal?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:19 pm
Suspended

I renewed mine by mail. I sent it to the National Passport Processing Office in Philadelphia. My new (2015) passport say it was issued by the U.S. Department of State.

If the Italian form asks for the issuing agency and city, I might put "U.S. Department of State" and maybe "Washington, DC" or Portsmouth, NH, the return address on the mailing envelope. In reality, they mailed it from Tucson, AZ, the home of the Western Passport Office but it only says that on the post office tracking website.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Box5
If the Italian form asks for the issuing agency and city, I might put "U.S. Department of State" and maybe "Washington, DC" or Portsmouth, NH, the return address on the mailing envelope. In reality, they mailed it from Tucson, AZ, the home of the Western Passport Office but it only says that on the post office tracking website.
The form didn't require a city, just an agency. The State Department answer appears to made the form senders happy, which is all that really matters, right?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:40 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
This also happens with new UK and Australian passports now. They no longer give the location of an issuing office but give the issuing authority.

Presumably part of general security tightening as well as general digital/electronic passport tech upgrade..
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:32 pm

My passport issued a couple weeks ago lists "United States Department of State" as issuing authority. I figured it'd be the Minneapolis office since they're the closest but the tracking showed it shipped from Little Rock, Arkansas so I guess the Hot Springs office actually processed it. I'm guessing since it was expedited those get sent to the least busy office or maybe certain ones handle expedited requests.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:16 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
My ordinary US passports are issued at US passport offices in the US on a same-day or next-day basis; and for some years now, they no longer mention the actual city of issuance and now just mention US Department of State where it previously would have listed the US city of the issuing passport agency office.

When asked for place of issue, I just mention US Department of State even when I know there was no interoffice transport of my passport book after my relevant application had been submitted in-person.

Originally Posted by mandolino
This also happens with new UK and Australian passports now. They no longer give the location of an issuing office but give the issuing authority.

Presumably part of general security tightening as well as general digital/electronic passport tech upgrade..
The product of increased centralization.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 28, 2015 at 11:22 pm
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:31 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I've had this question on forms in the past and it seemed to odd - or a bit of an obvious question/answer.

Are those (US or otherwise) whose passports are issued by some exotic/esoteric agency?
Old Jan 29, 2015, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Current one is US Department of State like the other people in the thread but IIRC my last one included Los Angeles in the name of the issuing authority.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 1:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by OskiBear
I've had this question on forms in the past and it seemed to odd - or a bit of an obvious question/answer.

Are those (US or otherwise) whose passports are issued by some exotic/esoteric agency?
It varies by countries. I've see lots of non-US passports issued by say foreign police authorities, a sort of thing that hasn't been done in the US at any point in my lifetime in so far as I know. I used to consider it exotic/esoteric when I first started encountering such things, but familiarity over time makes things feel less exotic/esoteric.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 7:46 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
The question for issuing authority comes from the fact that in some countries passports are issued by local authorities on behalf of the federal government. In Germany the city or county you live in issues the passport. In the past the information and all the paper work was archived at the by the city or county and not as accessible as it is today.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:49 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Yeah, in Spain the passport is issued by the local police station. Like you walk in and give them a picture and walk out with your passport. The issuing authority is some long code that I'm sure corresponds to the individual station.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I just faced this when applying for an Indian Tourist Visa. Some googling turned up an instruction to use the "place listed on your passport under 'Authority'" in the lower right corner. Mine says United States Department of State, so that's what I put, although had to abbreviate it to US Dept. of State to make it fit in the allowed space.

I'm pretty sure my old passport said Chicago.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
In many cases in answering "issued by" you can put "USA".
Old Jan 29, 2015, 4:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by milepig
I just faced this when applying for an Indian Tourist Visa. Some googling turned up an instruction to use the "place listed on your passport under 'Authority'" in the lower right corner. Mine says United States Department of State, so that's what I put, although had to abbreviate it to US Dept. of State to make it fit in the allowed space.

I'm pretty sure my old passport said Chicago.
We used to issue ordinary US passports that listed Chicago (or whichever other cities hosted the passport agency office which issued the passport); other than city or US Department of State, the other frequent entry in the field would be National Passport Center (or something like it). I'm speaking of US full-duration ordinary passports during the course of the FT era. Now, it's ordinarily US Department of State in the field entry -- even for passports like mine which are frequently issued while I wait in a city passport agency office.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
I've always just put "US PPO" (US PassPort Office) and never had anyone question that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.