Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Oil at $40 ... Effect on YQ (fuel sur-) charges?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2015, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club

The talk on the news - not that FlyerTalkers need to be told - is that airlines won't reduce fares because demand is so firm. But what about the fuel surcharges on international flights? Aren't they- supposedly - required to at least relate to actual fuel prices?
Old Jan 24, 2015, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM

Ask your congressman. Good luck with that.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Firewind
Aren't they- supposedly - required to at least relate to actual fuel prices?
Oh, you silly person - of course they have nothing to do with actual fuel prices. They have everything to do with management's desire to improve their bottom line.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 8:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

They've changed the name to "International Surcharge" in most cases and they're not really tied to fuel prices. Haven't been for some time (and some would argue never were).

They are more about controlling corporate discounts and joint-venture revenue sharing than anything else.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 8:45 pm

Consider also that most of the airlines hedge on the fuel price several months in advance. This means they are still paying the price for the fuel that was agreed upon several months ago. Most are paying much more for the fuel than the current market price.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
They've changed the name to "International Surcharge" in most cases and they're not really tied to fuel prices. Haven't been for some time (and some would argue never were).
I'm not in the USA, so things may be a bit different, but I've found most airlines are calling YQ a "Carrier Imposed Surcharge" nowadays. However, when you dig deeper into the fare make up, it's still the Fuel Surcharge of old.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club

They are more about controlling corporate discounts and joint-venture revenue sharing than anything else.
"International Surcharge". Smooth move. Just when the sun might dawn on the ruse. Of course they never were. The "some" would be we customers. It will be surprising if no one calls them on it in a big, even organized, way.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 1:26 pm

Programs: LH FTL
I think at the end its a game of supply and demand...as long as the customers keep paying high fares there wont be any reductions.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by oxymoron
as long as the customers keep paying high fares there wont be any reductions.
And this is what it comes to in the end for me: I don't care how the company allocates the money internally; I only care what the net charge on my CC will be.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

You accept a lot.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 2:23 pm

And this is what it comes to in the end for me: I don't care how the company allocates the money internally; I only care what the net charge on my CC will be.
The net charge on your credit card would be less on an award flight with many airlines.

The net charge on your credit card would be less if you were using a discount which only applied to the base fare.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Firewind
Aren't they- supposedly - required to at least relate to actual fuel prices?
No. Regardless of what they are called, their sole purpose is to trick and deceive.

There are multiple targets for this deception (the airlines' frequent fliers being merely one), but the charges have nothing to do with fuel and never did. That was merely the convenient excuse du jour.

That said, YQ is amusing on one level: it suggests that passengers would have otherwise been willing to buy a ticket on a plane with no fuel in it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.