Why do pax hate surgical masks so much?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do pax hate surgical masks so much?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2015, 4:43 pm

Programs: Platinum
I read somewhere that the current trend in Japan is to wear the mask for anonymity. I can see that as our images can end up on the Internet without our consent.

By the way, any studies showing the efficacy of masks in reducing flu infections?
Old Jan 3, 2015, 6:01 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by RightOnRob
Thanks for sharing your perspective. Does that fit with Arab clothing where women cover up their faces as well?
Without veering too much into OMNI territory, usually yes. A woman wearing a headscarf and baggy clothing but with a bare face doesn't merit a second glance at most American shopping malls any more. One wearing a niqab with only eyes visible will draw hostile looks.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by RightOnRob
The second that popped up a couple of times was that people think that the wearer thinks they are unclean. That is surprising to me people would be worried about the latter.
Not worried about it, but upset by it......no one likes to be around someone who thinks they are dangerous when they are not. You admitted you are wearing the mask because you think others are dangerous to you (i.e. your health). Why shouldn't people be upset by that?
Old Jan 3, 2015, 6:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
This thread has all the hallmarks of OMNI and should be relegated there.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 6:53 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by frankmu
I read somewhere that the current trend in Japan is to wear the mask for anonymity. I can see that as our images can end up on the Internet without our consent.

By the way, any studies showing the efficacy of masks in reducing flu infections?
I searched around earlier this season about this and found some scattered studies. Most seem to validate that surgical masks prevent transmission from the wearer quite well, when properly worn; but not so much at protecting the wearer from picking up the virus from others (which isn't what surgical masks are meant for anyway). N95 and similar respirators are more effective against acquisition from others, as they were intended to be. I can't claim to have done an exhaustive research, but concluded there wasn't much value in wearing a surgical mask to protect myself while I'm well....flu shot and hand washing are my main preventative measures.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Calliopeflyer
Not worried about it, but upset by it......no one likes to be around someone who thinks they are dangerous when they are not. You admitted you are wearing the mask because you think others are dangerous to you (i.e. your health). Why shouldn't people be upset by that?
Why would anyone feel upset at someone trying to protect themself with an innocuous mask? Surely you don't think that someone wearing a mask out in a crowded public space is doing so because of only you?
Old Jan 3, 2015, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
This thread has all the hallmarks of OMNI and should be relegated there.
What's that?
Old Jan 3, 2015, 9:44 pm

deleted because I figured out how to quote multiple posts in one response!

Last edited by Calliopeflyer; Jan 3, 2015 at 9:50 pm
Old Jan 3, 2015, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero
......Most seem to validate that surgical masks prevent transmission from the wearer quite well, when properly worn; but not so much at protecting the wearer from picking up the virus from others (which isn't what surgical masks are meant for anyway)....
In order for a mask to properly prevent exterior microbes (like viruses) from getting to the wearer of the mask, it would have to be worn inside out (yes, they do have an inside and an outside). As you said, wearing them the "correct way" will keep microbes from the person getting to the environment. We do that at work sometimes to keep from inhaling aerosolized particles during dental procedures.

Originally Posted by jubberly
Why would anyone feel upset at someone trying to protect themself with an innocuous mask? Surely you don't think that someone wearing a mask out in a crowded public space is doing so because of only you?
Does it have to be ONLY me before my concerns are justified? I think that even as part of a group, I can still be upset by it.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 10:32 pm

[QUOTE=Does it have to be ONLY me before my concerns are justified? I think that even as part of a group, I can still be upset by it.[/QUOTE]

You misunderstood.

What makes you think that you would be singled out by the mask wearer, in a group, for fear of contamination? Unless,of course,you were the only one in a group that was sneezing and coughing
Old Jan 4, 2015, 9:46 am

You misunderstood.

What makes you think that you would be singled out by the mask wearer, in a group, for fear of contamination? Unless,of course,you were the only one in a group that was sneezing and coughing
How did I misunderstand. My being upset by something is not an indication that I think I'm the only one who was targeted. Hey, sometimes I'm upset by things that I just observe and aren't a part of at all. Aren't you ever upset by things you see around you that don't involve you?
Old Jan 4, 2015, 10:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
What's that?
It's a place where all sorts of totally random, off-topic conversation that has little or no relevance to flying or travelling takes place, but you need to be a member for 90 days (I think) and a certain number of posts to see it in your drop down box.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 10:56 am

How did I misunderstand. My being upset by something is not an indication that I think I'm the only one who was targeted. Hey, sometimes I'm upset by things that I just observe and aren't a part of at all. Aren't you ever upset by things you see around you that don't involve you?
Sure,sometimes...through ignorance. I also appreciate it when someone takes the time to tell me not to get my knickers in a twist and to respect why others do things.Its too bad that more people can't be "tolerant" when they are faced with something "different" in their life experiences.Perhaps those "ignorant" people would be better off staying at "home" in their "comfort zone" ?

Uh-oh...but what if you're faced with a visitor with a different culture at "home"?

Last edited by jubberly; Jan 4, 2015 at 11:48 am
Old Jan 4, 2015, 12:14 pm

Sure,sometimes...through ignorance. I also appreciate it when someone takes the time to tell me not to get my knickers in a twist and to respect why others do things.Its too bad that more people can't be "tolerant" when they are faced with something "different" in their life experiences.Perhaps those "ignorant" people would be better off staying at "home" in their "comfort zone" ?

Uh-oh...but what if you're faced with a visitor with a different culture at "home"?
LOL.....I am always faced with people from a different culture at home. I live in one of the most multicultural cities in the world, where more than half the residents have been born outside of the country. Different cultures are normal.

It's a shame it's only in times of ignorance that you get upset by things that don't include you. When I see others (individual or a group) being treated poorly or abused I get upset, even if it doesn't include me.....and I'm sorry those things don't upset you as well. This is not one of those cases, just an illustration of how something doesn't have to include me in order to upset me.

I realize I must accept that some things other people do legitimately and harmlessly will upset me -- that's life in the big, bad world. I have to live with being upset by those things, and get used to that reality -- but it doesn't mean those things don't upset me. Seeing people carrying handguns upsets me, but if it's done legally, I just have to accept it and accept my reaction. Seeing women in a full niqab or burqa upsets me, but if it's done out of their own free will, I just have to accept it and my feelings about not being able to see more than the someone's eyes. Same thing with motorcyle helmets or face masks.....it upsets and unsettles me, but that's life. I don't expect people to change just because they upset me, but when they ask how I feel about something, I will tell them honestly.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 12:25 pm

It's a shame it's only in times of ignorance that you get upset by things that don't include you. When I see others (individual or a group) being treated poorly or abused I get upset, even if it doesn't include me.....and I'm sorry those things don't upset you as well. This is not one of those cases, just an illustration of how something doesn't have to include me in order to upset me.
I was referring to the wearing of face masks in a public place...what's so upsetting about that?...unless its in,say,a bank queue.LOL. On an airplane....relaaaaaaax

Last edited by jubberly; Jan 4, 2015 at 12:34 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.