Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Does this deal seem legit -- or where can one get the lowest fare for Int'l. travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does this deal seem legit -- or where can one get the lowest fare for Int'l. travel?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2015, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Hey all. I did a craigslist ad looking to see if someone was able to help out with finding a better price for international airline tickets. I know sometimes people can use what's called a "buddy pass" for cheaper airfare, but my friend wasn't able to help me.

This guy said he is a first class travel broker and looks up prices to find the best deal. Looking online, I found around 1,000 round trip being the lowest from Boston to Tokyo. He said he was able to find a round trip ticket where the prices start just over 600 dollars.

He said that he helps to find the best rates for hotels, car rentals and airlines. He didn't ask for any personal info, just the travel dates and cities. Seems legit, but I just want to make sure if anyone had a great deal like this before.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 6:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
Does this deal seem legit?

Why does it seem legit to you?

Did you get his business name, his address, phone number, his name, etc etc etc. did you confirm all this information?
Old Jan 1, 2015, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mike2200
Why does it seem legit to you?

Did you get his business name, his address, phone number, his name, etc etc etc. did you confirm all this information?
I have his name, the company he works for. I didn't ask for anything else yet. He also didn't ask me any personal info as well.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Motti15
Hey all. I did a craigslist ad looking to see if someone was able to help out with finding a better price for international airline tickets. I know sometimes people can use what's called a "buddy pass" for cheaper airfare, but my friend wasn't able to help me.

This guy said he is a first class travel broker and looks up prices to find the best deal. Looking online, I found around 1,000 round trip being the lowest from Boston to Tokyo. He said he was able to find a round trip ticket where the prices start just over 600 dollars.

He said that he helps to find the best rates for hotels, car rentals and airlines. He didn't ask for any personal info, just the travel dates and cities. Seems legit, but I just want to make sure if anyone had a great deal like this before.
You'll never go wrong taking deals that sound too good to be true on Craigslist.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
You'll never go wrong taking deals that sound too good to be true on Craigslist.
Well, do you have a solution as to getting a lower ticket price for airfare internationally? Rather than just criticize, how about give a solution as to something that could help?
Old Jan 1, 2015, 6:57 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus
It's probably not legit. Just search 'Craigslist Airline Tickets' and see how the scam works - I easily found a step by step guide how it's done right away.

I think $1000 for a round trip ticket is actually a pretty good price!
Old Jan 1, 2015, 6:57 pm

Well, do you have a solution as to getting a lower ticket price for airfare internationally? Rather than just criticize, how about give a solution as to something that could help?
I would keep looking on price. One solution as far as getting to your destination is not buying a fake ticket on CL. @:-)
Old Jan 1, 2015, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Best deals for international airfare?

Short and simple. Does anyone know who to speak to or where to look online for the cheapest international airfare?
Old Jan 1, 2015, 7:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

There is no one place which always has the best deal or the cheapest airfare (and note that the two may not always be the same thing).
Old Jan 1, 2015, 7:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Dude, buying a "ticket" from someone on Craigslist is a terrible idea. Among the things that are likely to happen 1) ticket is bought with stolen credit card and cancelled/you are arrested trying to board 2) ticket is bought with stolen frequent flier miles and is cancelled/you are arrested 3) ticket is bought with frequent flier miles against program rules and the ticket is cancelled, maybe with you 12,000 miles from home 4) you are told you have a ticket but none is even ever bought.

Don't do it.

Safe Travels,

Doc
Old Jan 1, 2015, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Dude, buying a "ticket" from someone on Craigslist is a terrible idea. Among the things that are likely to happen 1) ticket is bought with stolen credit card and cancelled/you are arrested trying to board 2) ticket is bought with stolen frequent flier miles and is cancelled/you are arrested 3) ticket is bought with frequent flier miles against program rules and the ticket is cancelled, maybe with you 12,000 miles from home 4) you are told you have a ticket but none is even ever bought.

Don't do it.

Safe Travels,

Doc
It's interesting though.. The legit travel date exists, the times he gave me with the airline also exist. The only thing throwing me off is the price. If you say that someone is using stolen points, then that would obviously be an issue. How would someone know before they bought a ticket if someone was trying to use a fraud way of getting a ticket?
Old Jan 1, 2015, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Anyone could look up flight info. It is widely available online. If you're going to purchase a ticket you should use a real agency/agent. Ask what fare codes the flights would book into. That will tell you if the ticket is being issued from money or miles though you're still relying on the person being honest with you about this.

It's interesting though.. The legit travel date exists, the times he gave me with the airline also exist. The only thing throwing me off is the price. If you say that someone is using stolen points, then that would obviously be an issue. How would someone know before they bought a ticket if someone was trying to use a fraud way of getting a ticket?
Old Jan 1, 2015, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"If you say that someone is using stolen points, then that would obviously be an issue."

The points don't have to be stolen for you to be at risk. Airlines prohibit the sale of their frequent-flyer points/miles, but some participants sell them anyway to mileage brokers, who then sell award tickets to third parties. If the airline's Revenue Protection Unit suspects that the award ticket was sold, then you may find yourself out of luck when you try to board your outbound flight -- or even worse, when you try to board your flight home!

"How would someone know before they bought a ticket if someone was trying to use a fraud way of getting a ticket?"

They wouldn't; that's the problem.

Do not assume that a $1,000 roundtrip fare between BOS and TYO is a problem which has a solution. Not all problems have solutions.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"If you say that someone is using stolen points, then that would obviously be an issue."

The points don't have to be stolen for you to be at risk. Airlines prohibit the sale of their frequent-flyer points/miles, but some participants sell them anyway to mileage brokers, who then sell award tickets to third parties. If the airline's Revenue Protection Unit suspects that the award ticket was sold, then you may find yourself out of luck when you try to board your outbound flight -- or even worse, when you try to board your flight home!

"How would someone know before they bought a ticket if someone was trying to use a fraud way of getting a ticket?"

They wouldn't; that's the problem.

Do not assume that a $1,000 roundtrip fare between BOS and TYO is a problem which has a solution. Not all problems have solutions.
Thank you for your info. I will look elsewhere for a better deal. Thank you everyone!
Old Jan 1, 2015, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Does this deal seem legit?

Simple thing, if you are questioning what is being offered, that pretty much sums it up, don't you think?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.