Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can I fly within the EU without a passport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I fly within the EU without a passport?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2014, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Question Can I fly within the EU without a passport?

Hello,

I am Brazilian and have lost my passport in Munich. I have a residence permit for the Netherlands, and am going to get a flight from Eindhoven to Barcelona, can I still flight?

Thanks a lot in advance
Old Dec 21, 2014, 1:48 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
chapinha, welcome to FlyerTalk and so sorry about your passport loss.

Let me move this to FlyerTalk's Europe forum. In that forum, travel within Europe is often discussed. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 5:24 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Depends who you're flying with. I know that RyanAir require passports or ID cards even when the regulations don't, to stop you transfering your tickets!

On the absolute scale - it is not possible to travel to all places within the EU without a passport or ID card

On a practical level - it is possible to travel within the Schengen zone without being subject to routine passport/ID checks.

There can still be special / one-off document checks, which in some places are a lot less random than they ought to be... See Freemovement.net for more on where those tend to happen

Finally, once you're in a different Schengen country, many of them require that you carry suitable ID with you at all times. You may be able to travel to some of those countries within Schengen without ID, but you could risk fines and deportation if found without ID once there
Old Dec 22, 2014, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by Gagravarr
Depends who you're flying with. I know that RyanAir require passports or ID cards even when the regulations don't, to stop you transfering your tickets!

On the absolute scale - it is not possible to travel to all places within the EU without a passport or ID card

On a practical level - it is possible to travel within the Schengen zone without being subject to routine passport/ID checks.

There can still be special / one-off document checks, which in some places are a lot less random than they ought to be... See Freemovement.net for more on where those tend to happen

Finally, once you're in a different Schengen country, many of them require that you carry suitable ID with you at all times. You may be able to travel to some of those countries within Schengen without ID, but you could risk fines and deportation if found without ID once there
There are Schengen countries, Greece comes to mind, where although there are no routine immigration checks on travellers to or from other Schengen countries, ID is checked at the boarding gate for all airlines, even on domestic flights.
In the OP's case I'd be particularly worried about getting back to the Netherlands from Spain unless someone can confirm that this is not the practice there.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 12:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
It's going to depend very much on the airline, more than the authorities. Some airlines, particularly the LCCs do check ID, though you may be able to get away with something like a driving licence or a resident's permit, whilst others don't. I know that here in GVA, there aren't checks on pretty much all Schengen destinations unless you're flying Easyjet. However, if you checkin bags, your id will be checked.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 1:22 am

You're supposed to have your passport (or EU national ID card) on you when travelling between Schengen countries, even though there are no longer any border checks. I don't know if residence permits issued to non-EU citizens have the same status as EU national ID cards - I don't think they do, but you will need to double-check on that.

If they do have the same status as EU national ID cards then you can fly to BCN. If they don't then it will depend on airline policy (some may accept it, others - like Ryanair - won't). If you need to be in Barcelona then I suggest you drive or take the train - nobody is going to arrest or deport you for walking round the streets with nothing more than a residence permit..
Old Dec 22, 2014, 2:57 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
I believe you are still required to show your EU ID card or passport. The residence card document only works to avoid the requirement of having a visa, just that. In your situation, I think it may be slightly difficult, aside from the fact that airlines often play the role of custom border inspectors...
Old Dec 22, 2014, 3:20 am

Programs: *G
98% of the time you are okay for schengen flights

i have only been inconvenienced twice about showing just my residence card. both times a phone call to +1 from staff level employee cleared my flying

i believe there is a much higher likelihood of it causing problem departing Spain (1 of my 2 occurences)
Old Dec 22, 2014, 11:56 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
When flying within Schengen, specifically Switzerland to Spain, I've generally been checked for ID. Once, LX was asking specifically for a passport, but my Swiss ID card worked fine. Before I was a Swiss citizen, I had a non-EU residency card that I think was supposed to work within Schengen, but I didn't get a chance to try it out before I got my new ID.

It might be worth contacting the airline and asking them.

If your residency permit has a white bull on it, I think you might be okay. My permit had a white bull on it, even though it was for Switzerland. I was able to find this description of the German one on Wikipedia.

Last edited by greg5; Dec 22, 2014 at 12:02 pm Reason: added a bit more.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 12:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
You're supposed to have your passport (or EU national ID card) on you when travelling between Schengen countries, even though there are no longer any border checks. I don't know if residence permits issued to non-EU citizens have the same status as EU national ID cards - I don't think they do, but you will need to double-check on that.

If they do have the same status as EU national ID cards then you can fly to BCN. If they don't then it will depend on airline policy (some may accept it, others - like Ryanair - won't). If you need to be in Barcelona then I suggest you drive or take the train - nobody is going to arrest or deport you for walking round the streets with nothing more than a residence permit..
Sometimes driving means being checked at the border or at times around the French autoroute. They seem to be looking for tax and insurance violations, but not having the required documents would not be good.

I haven't noticed any checks on schengen trains in a long time and the ones I remember were around Germany.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
...I haven't noticed any checks on schengen trains in a long time and the ones I remember were around Germany.
Oh yes, Italy to Switzerland and, on more seldom occasions, the other way round too. Checking for... money transfer (Guardia di Finanza for Italy, Zoll for CH, specific questions!) and they do ask for passports!
Old Dec 23, 2014, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by chapinha
Hello,

I am Brazilian and have lost my passport in Munich. I have a residence permit for the Netherlands, and am going to get a flight from Eindhoven to Barcelona, can I still flight?

Thanks a lot in advance
Spain has a history of having implememted an APIS requirement. But that doesn't mean all airlines check for ID on intra-Schengen flights to Spain. With carry-on baggage only for travel that is wholly within the Schengen Area, various airlines infrequently check for ID. AB intra-Schengen flights via TXL come to mind.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 3:41 pm

Sure rent a private plane
Old Dec 27, 2014, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by allyouneedTA
I recommend taking you passport with you...You could get in troubles on Airport.

Kind Regards
The whole point of this thread is that the OP has lost his passport and has not yet obtained a replacement. How can he take something he doesn't have?

(Suggest you read posts before replying to them...)
Old Dec 27, 2014, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by Aviatrix
The whole point of this thread is that the OP has lost his passport and has not yet obtained a replacement. How can he take something he doesn't have?

(Suggest you read posts before replying to them...)
allyouneedTA, as the name suggests, is a travel agency! Imagine doing business with them...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.