Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

All I want For Christmas is for airlines to…

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k

Re-design flight attendant uniforms beyond fast food standards.

Give us updates about mechanicals, weather or air traffic issues in real time when we are trapped in the plane.

Stop pilots from bragging about the flight arriving early before we actually arrive, only to be slowed down in flight by air traffic control, or sit on the tarmac when we land because our gate is occupied or because there is no one to operate the jetway.

Serve cold beer.

Move the supporting leg of the aisle seat in first class towards the aisle about 8” instead of right in the middle where you want to put your feet.

Install wi-fi that actually works.

Install retractable foot or leg rests (except in emergency rows). I don’t buy the safety argument- look at business and first class fully reclining seats that block the window seats from a quick exit.

Never even consider allowing cell phone use in-flight. For the love of God.

Don’t automatically rebook us on the next flight when a flight is delayed or cancelled without actually getting our permission.

Move the emergency gear somewhere else so those in bulkhead seats have some overhead storage.

Heat and cool the entire interior of the planes consistently. These planes cost $200 million, tell Boeing, Embraer and Airbus to figure it out.

Design websites that remember your most current flight search criteria when you return to the reservation page.

Require phone agents to be fluent in the language that most of their customers speak.

Do what they promise in their advertising and PR within months, not years.

Happy Holidays!
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SPG, Marriott

Get rid of unionized ancient labor.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:13 am

Programs: skymiles

Funny when the real growth of ailing standards all mist all airlines where union hu? maybe go back to those days be better
Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:13 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by CMH1k

Re-design flight attendant uniforms beyond fast food standards.

Give us updates about mechanicals, weather or air traffic issues in real time when we are trapped in the plane.

Stop pilots from bragging about the flight arriving early before we actually arrive, only to be slowed down in flight by air traffic control, or sit on the tarmac when we land because our gate is occupied or because there is no one to operate the jetway.

Serve cold beer.

Move the supporting leg of the aisle seat in first class towards the aisle about 8” instead of right in the middle where you want to put your feet.

Install wi-fi that actually works.

Install retractable foot or leg rests (except in emergency rows). I don’t buy the safety argument- look at business and first class fully reclining seats that block the window seats from a quick exit.

Never even consider allowing cell phone use in-flight. For the love of God.

Don’t automatically rebook us on the next flight when a flight is delayed or cancelled without actually getting our permission.

Move the emergency gear somewhere else so those in bulkhead seats have some overhead storage.

Heat and cool the entire interior of the planes consistently. These planes cost $200 million, tell Boeing, Embraer and Airbus to figure it out.

Design websites that remember your most current flight search criteria when you return to the reservation page.

Require phone agents to be fluent in the language that most of their customers speak.

Do what they promise in their advertising and PR within months, not years.

Happy Holidays!
^:-:

I can't think of anything to add, pretty good wish list!
Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Require gate agents to be fluent in the language that most of their customers speak.

Require gate agents to speak intelligibly when making PA announcements.

Require gate-area PA systems that don't distort announcements.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Bring airlines' websites up to 2005 standards from their current 1998 standards. I should be able to book any award an FFP offers, anywhere in the alliance or network of partners, online, period. It's not like when I call an agent, they're sitting in a magic warehouse full of sticky notes listing all available awards for the next year. They're logged into (wait for it...) a computer system.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:49 am

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
- just provide 2 levels of award tickets: low and normal. Not this nonsense of 5/6/7/38 levels
- stop charging for checking baggage, or start charging for carryons. I am sick of the OH bin battles and all the symptoms that come with that (stampedes, gate lice, etc)
- enforce your boarding procedures. Yes, people showing up before their group is called should be put in a holding pen and made to board last.
- take meal orders in F based on paid/status. First people that paid for that seat, then elites based on level.
- provide lounge access on BE tickets both for departure AND arrival. Yes, I'm looking at you Delta, you cheapskates!
Old Dec 19, 2014, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

have passengers who are willing to pay for everything they want and for everything they expect from the airlines.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by planemechanic
have passengers who are willing to pay for everything they want and for everything they expect from the airlines.
All I want for Christmas is to see airlines stop justifying draconian, brutal cutbacks by saying "it's what passengers want." Passengers don't set the fares and crappy service levels, and more passengers than ever are unhappy with their flying experience. The ridiculous contention (which I've heard from airline employees) that "you customers caused this mess by refusing to pay higher fares" has got to stop. Of course people will choose rock-bottom fares if they're offered, but raise fares, provide more, and it's not like those same people will suddenly flee to Megabus.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BearX220
All I want for Christmas is to see airlines stop justifying draconian, brutal cutbacks by saying "it's what passengers want." Passengers don't set the fares and crappy service levels, and more passengers than ever are unhappy with their flying experience. The ridiculous contention (which I've heard from airline employees) that "you customers caused this mess by refusing to pay higher fares" has got to stop. Of course people will choose rock-bottom fares if they're offered, but raise fares, provide more, and it's not like those same people will suddenly flee to Megabus.
All I want for Christmas is for the airlines to not *both* charge high fares *and* offer crappy service. But the lack of competition in the industry has led to airlines that charge a premium price and have no incentive to provide a premium product.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
- Consistency; there's far too much inconsistency between levels of service and product. I feel like AC had done a fairly good job with this, but now there's 4 different J products and AVOD systems.

- Keep frequent flier programs valuable; don't just devalue because you can still call your program competitive while the others devalue. Make it worth people's while and you'll see a level of loyalty unrivaled by other airlines who's programs are "competitive"

- Alliance alignments!; work together for the betterment of the alliance. A Star Gold member should be able to get an E+/AC preferred/etc seat at no extra charge as long as it's in the same cabin.

- Lower prices; between scam charges and fuel charges along with already highish airfares, AC particularly overcharges. Oil has reached 10 year lows, any length of time spent at levels like this, you can no longer justify ME paying for the gas that should be part of your airfare. I don't get on the bus, pay the fare, then pay another $1 because gas is expensive.

- Let the LCCs be; I don't mind paying a little bit more for a good consistent product, let the LCCs carry the once a year leisure flyers. They'll complain about not getting a free soda, but they should learn to read the reviews and offers first. Don't stoop to that level. We've already grown accustomed to not having food, but "Rougeing" people isn't right. Let the product stand alone and don't let it bleed into your regular product.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:39 pm

Customers set everything. They decide what level of service they want and what they're willing to spend. And airlines respond by providing that level of service for that price. It's how every business works. And yet for some reason only airlines get this amount of whining from their customers for giving them exactly what they demand.

No other industry works likes. Nobody buys a $12K Hyundai and then complains that the car doesn't have a 400 HP engine. But everyone buys a $350 round trip ticket from NY to LA and then complains that there isn't a 3 course meal included with the flight.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by KoKoBuddy
Customers set everything. They decide what level of service they want and what they're willing to spend.
I have bought many hundreds of plane tickets and have never yet seen an interface pose the question, "How much are you willing to spend?" with a blank text field, then offer a level of amenities and service linked to the amount I chose.

I wish I had the power you ascribe to customers.

Airlines set prices and of course many passengers respond to low ones. But many also hate the product they get for that price and would not change their buy/fly behavior much if the price were $345 instead of $315.

Note that prices have risen slowly but steadily since 2009 or so while service levels (and now oil prices) continue to fall, with the airlines keeping the spread for themselves and their shareholders. Passengers didn't "demand" this situation either. They have to eat it until something better comes along.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have bought many hundreds of plane tickets and have never yet seen an interface pose the question, "How much are you willing to spend?" with a blank text field, then offer a level of amenities and service linked to the amount I chose.

I wish I had the power you ascribe to customers.

Airlines set prices and of course many passengers respond to low ones. But many also hate the product they get for that price and would not change their buy/fly behavior much if the price were $345 instead of $315.

Note that prices have risen slowly but steadily since 2009 or so while service levels (and now oil prices) continue to fall, with the airlines keeping the spread for themselves and their shareholders. Passengers didn't "demand" this situation either. They have to eat it until something better comes along.
You have never flown an airplane with business class? No airplane with First Class? Never have the option to choose Economy Plus? If business/first sold out months in advance the airlines would make those sections larger and larger, until the puny economy section was so small they wouldn't care who flew in it.

Customer get what customers want. Spirit is proof of that, Ryan Air is proof of that. Regular economy is proof of that. We can go on an on with evidence.

Last edited by planemechanic; Dec 19, 2014 at 1:08 pm
Old Dec 19, 2014, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by KoKoBuddy
But everyone buys a $350 round trip ticket from NY to LA and then complains that there isn't a 3 course meal included with the flight.
My only complaint is when the price goes up (far beyond CPI...I'm talking low-inflation U.S./Europe here) *and* the service gets worse.

If there's a route where my baseline expectation has been to spend $350 for a R/T seat, then I won't complain if I see a little bit better offering (E+ or whatever) for $425 or some kind of barebones 29" seat for $275. It's when the government allows a monopoly to form and the $350 seat becomes $500 *and* I get left with worse service that I'll complain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.