Wiki Posts
Search

Buying airline tickets on craigslist

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:30 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
Originally Posted by s34n
Hi,

I was just wondering about buying an airline ticket off craigslist. I don't really want anybodies option on the matter for starters (Its too good to be true for example), I just want to know what would happen in this circumstance.

So I advertised that I needed two flights to Europe this Christmas and somebody got back to me saying they have airline contacts and can book the flight for us. They dont want us to know the confirmation number or airline until we meet. I asked to meet them at the checkin desk 2 hours before the flight and when our boarding passes are printed, I would hand over $500 for two roundtrip flights.

I was going to confirm his identity by asking for his ID at the airport also. They cant really cancel the flight after the boarding passes have printed can they? They could also book with a stolen credit card, which I was hoping to ask at the desk how the flight was booked, what billing method etc. Is there an easy way to determine if this is genuine? Thanks!

Can you refer me to the seller I'd like to get two tickets too, will they give a discount for a last minute purchase? I have cash in hand, oh but what city. and airport is it or is that flexible?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by s34n
So I advertised that I needed two flights to Europe this Christmas and somebody got back to me saying they have airline contacts and can book the flight for us. They dont want us to know the confirmation number or airline until we meet. I asked to meet them at the checkin desk 2 hours before the flight and when our boarding passes are printed, I would hand over $500 for two roundtrip flights.

I was going to confirm his identity by asking for his ID at the airport also. They cant really cancel the flight after the boarding passes have printed can they? They could also book with a stolen credit card, which I was hoping to ask at the desk how the flight was booked, what billing method etc. Is there an easy way to determine if this is genuine? Thanks!

Actually, yes, they could cancel a flight after a BP is issued, it could even occur after the outbound flight is flown and they seek out a partial refund. Making inquiries to the ticket desk could create further complications; if you do so, I'd want the person booking the tickets to be present.

I would far to weary of fraud in this case...let alone showing up at the airport with packed backs and not being able to fly or, worse, not having a flight to return home.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
I'm sure this does not violate UA's award ticket policies...and I'm sure none of these are consolidator fares that earn few or no miles.

I can honestly say I did not realize there were so many scammers for travel-related stuff (points, UGs) on craigslist.

Last edited by rwoman; Dec 17, 2014 at 8:40 am
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Whatever the game is here, and I agree that selling employee standby tickets is a good possibility, this chap won't be the first person to have tried it. The airline fraud detection people are good at what they do. They don't catch 100 percent, but they catch enough to be a real concern. Under the best of circumstances you'll be over there knowing that you might not get back on this ticket and might have to shell out a lot more for the last-minute one-way fare.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. The chances of the more extreme scenarios (being hauled off the plane just before the doors close) are small, but the chances of something less dramatic going wrong are much higher.

(And if you want a cup of hot coffee, I'll sell you one for just $350. See? You just saved fifty bucks!)
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'll make it $300 for me to sell a cup of coffee if the OP will post the date of travel, origin, and destination as well as details of the airport meeting (time, specific location, what the person will be wearing or how to identify them, etc.). I'm sure airline revenue protections people will appreciate the tip.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
OP, you don't seriously for one nanosecond think there's a remote possibility you're getting onto an airplane using the kind of deal you describe?

Please tell me you're just having some fun fishing from a slow-moving boat here.

You ask us what will happen? We don't know because we don't know how these tickets were obtained (whether outright stolen cards vs. some type of internal airline employee scam), but I think your best case scenario is simply losing the $500 and, during your ensuing questioning by either the airline or airport police, convince them that you were the mere victim of a scam and not a participant in it.

I honestly don't think you make it onto the first segment, but I agree with Efrem that an even worse scenario is being discovered midflight and having a prolonged interaction with foreign officials upon arrival.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:56 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rwoman
I'm sure this does not violate UA's award ticket policies...and I'm sure none of these are consolidator fares that earn few or no miles.

I can honestly say I did not realize there were so many scammers for travel-related stuff (points, UGs) on craigslist.
The former just seems like a naive guy who has probably had his accounts locked by now. The latter seems like an excellent way to get mugged.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:17 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
Originally Posted by rwoman

Reading the ad for the guy offering 10% off any published fare is a real thigh slapper of a reason why he doesn't do credit card payments.

"cash only for my protection" LOL
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:18 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
s34n, welcome to FlyerTalk!

While FlyerTalk welcomes vigorous discussion about airline fares and ticket purchases, we also care about our members avoiding fraudulent practices, including being a victim of fraud. (See FT Rule 15, which reads in part,
"Supporting, encouraging or promoting illegal activity or fraud upon an individual or company is prohibited.")

As virtually every airline has terms against selling tickets except through legitimate agency contracts, and Craig's List is not such an agency, there is an overwhelmingly high likelihood that the "ticket" will be invalid or has undisclosed conditions which make it so, or subject to the serious consequences mentioned by members upthread.

Airlines monitor such sites as Craig's List and have been known to invalidate such "tickets" bought or sold on internet sites, even doing so at the airport, requiring full fare last minute payment in order to travel that day.

For many reasons, including that you've received unanimous, adverse reaction from members, this thread is now closed. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.