Programs: AC, Bonvoy, HH
Originally Posted by LAXative
"No problem, let's just check this green-and-white bag..."
LOL. My thoughts exactly.

Love this thread.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 8:15 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by airindia787
Couldn't this also be a potential safety issue since that is where the life jackets/flotation equipment is usually located? So if someone tries to shove their carry on under their own seat they risk damaging the life jacket (or at least the storage case).
He was able to get his briefcase underneath the seat with no problem... once it appeared at my feet he was informed that under no circumstance would his briefcase be staying there.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 9:12 am

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by krlcomm
He was able to get his briefcase underneath the seat with no problem... once it appeared at my feet he was informed that under no circumstance would his briefcase be staying there.

Last edited by Canarsie; Nov 22, 2014 at 12:55 pm Reason: Removed quoted content which now resides in its own discussion.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
^^
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by N639DL
You are the DYKWIA, a very selfish one at that. If it can fit under your seat...put it there! Provides overhead space for something else. I wouldn't call someone out on it because I don't know who's item it is and don't know if anyone actually has any free space under the seat in front of them. It's just very self-centered, and not that much of a sacrifice to just put a bag under the seat in front of you.
So, since (according to you) I have to put my small bag under the seat in front of me, I might as well carry on my larger one and put it in the overhead. That provides less space for others than putting my small bag in the overhead. Why do you find such a situation preferable?
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: Many. Some top-tier, others not.
Originally Posted by sethb
So, since (according to you) I have to put my small bag under the seat in front of me, I might as well carry on my larger one and put it in the overhead. That provides less space for others than putting my small bag in the overhead. Why do you find such a situation preferable?
^^
Old Nov 17, 2014, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by StuckOnSegments
I take it that you aren't tall?

Those of us who have long legs and bad knees DO NOT WANT ANYTHING under the seat in front of them. It is extremely uncomfortable to keep my legs bent for a long period of time.

He is not a DYKWIA.
^

It couldn't possibly be the guy with two carry-ons who is the problem.

O/H

Zackly.

Did you suggest that he might relocate it to another, um, "more-confined" space?

O/H

Last edited by Canarsie; Nov 22, 2014 at 12:54 pm Reason: Removed quoted content which now resides in its own discussion.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
This. If I only have one carry-on it's going in the OH. The common exception is on a shorter flight where I only have my briefcase and wait to be the almost last person to board. In those instance, I make the personal decision to give up legroom for a short flight in exchange for that much less time sitting in the metal tube.

Originally Posted by Occupationalhazard
Did you suggest that he might relocate it to another, um, "more-confined" space?
Old Nov 21, 2014, 5:55 am

Carry-On Baggage Etiquette: Overhead Bin Versus Under Seat

Originally Posted by theddo
Well, you are wrong. You can place one bag in the over head compartment and one under the seat infront of you. If you only have one bag you can make your choice.

If that troubles you travel with a smaller bag.
Nope, you are wrong. And inconsiderate.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 5:57 am

Huh? That argument makes no sense whatsoever.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 6:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by emrdoc
Huh? That argument makes no sense whatsoever.
It makes perfect sense. You are upset by people who put small bags in the overhead but not by those who put large ones there. Hence, if sethb were to put his small bag into a large one and put it in the overhead you would find that perfectly acceptable.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by Dovster
It makes perfect sense. You are upset by people who put small bags in the overhead but not by those who put large ones there. Hence, if sethb were to put his small bag into a large one and put it in the overhead you would find that perfectly acceptable.
Nope...I am upset by people who put a small bag in the overhead at all, regardless of the number of bags they have onboard. It is inconsiderate of those travelers who have laregr bags that won't fit under the seat.

Can't we all just get along? :-)
Old Nov 21, 2014, 6:47 am

Programs: Delta, United
Nope...I am upset by people who put a small bag in the overhead at all, regardless of the number of bags they have onboard. It is inconsiderate of those travelers who have larger bags that won't fit under the seat.

Nope… I think it is inconsiderate of those travelers who have larger bags that won't fit under the seat to think that travelers with one small bag and want room under their seat for their feet should have to accommodate those travelers who have larger bags that won't check their bag ...

Rinse and repeat ...

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Nov 21, 2014 at 6:55 am
Old Nov 21, 2014, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Nope...I am upset by people who put a small bag in the overhead at all, regardless of the number of bags they have onboard. It is inconsiderate of those travelers who have laregr bags that won't fit under the seat.

By taking these standards to an extreme, if I am going on a day trip and taking only my laptop...

Option 1: I take only my very small/slim briefcase and place it in the OH bin. I am a bad person.
Option 2: I'm paranoid about my laptop, so I decide to wrap it in blankets and put it in 22x14x8 rollaboard, which I then place in the OH bin. I am not a bad person.

But which option leaves more room for others' belongings in the OH bin?
Old Nov 21, 2014, 7:17 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond

There's a simple solution for those of you with large carry on bags who are worried about insufficient bin space. Check your bags. I check my large bag and carry on only a small bag. I do that so I can comply with Delta's suggestion to put only one carry on in the bin and still keep the space in front of my seat clear so I can be comfortable. I should not have to be uncomfortable simply because you do not want to bother with the inconvenience of checking your larger carry on bag.

Sethb is exactly right. If Delta starts telling me my small bag must go under my seat even if it's my only one, I will no longer check my larger bag. I will put the large one in the overhead bin and avoid the wait at baggage claim. I suspect I would not be alone in this response if a ban on smaller bags in the bin actually came to fruition. Then, those who board later would have even less bin space to choose from. Be careful what you wish for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.