Reload this Page >

IAH / Houston Bush Intercontinental: Meet / Meeting Someone @IAH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

IAH / Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport: Where to meet at IAH? (consolidated)

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2012, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Hilton

Hello all,

I'm a loyal DL flyer. However, I will be flying back from a trip from Houston. At the same time, I also have a friend coming in on a UA flight from Tegucigalpa, Hondouras.

I want to surprise them when they come in. They are then continuing onto St. Louis-on XpressJet. (I'm going to Little Rock-on DL).

How could I do this without her knowing? Does she have to exit the airport building after customs? Or could I meet her at the "arrival gate" and the customs facility connects to that?
Old Sep 7, 2012, 10:52 am

Programs: UA, QR, Flying Blue, AA.
Originally Posted by personaltravelaid
Hello all,

I'm a loyal DL flyer. However, I will be flying back from a trip from Houston. At the same time, I also have a friend coming in on a UA flight from Tegucigalpa, Hondouras.

I want to surprise them when they come in. They are then continuing onto St. Louis-on XpressJet. (I'm going to Little Rock-on DL).

How could I do this without her knowing? Does she have to exit the airport building after customs? Or could I meet her at the "arrival gate" and the customs facility connects to that?
Just after customs, level 1, Terminal E. The exit doors from customs to the lobby are on the same side of the building as the escalators.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 2:13 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
From deboarding she will head straight to immigration customs.

Your best bet is wait for her at the departing gate of her next flight as she may never exit the airport as my theory of the sequence:
Arrive gate > Head to customs/immigration > head to baggage claim for international flights > head to transfer/connecting check-in stations (check in bag for transfer) > head to TSA security to get back to terminal (this is different as specific to incoming international passengers) from the regular folk walking to airport from the street).
If I recall IAH has connectors (train) between terminals on the secured side so no reason the passenger would need to exit the airport or head street side.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 8:53 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Delta is in Term A, ExpressJet .... errr, United Express in Term B, so a little easier on you would be to go to to Departure Gate in Term B, though if you have time you could stand outside of TSA in Term E and watch your friend come out.

EmailKid
Old Aug 18, 2014, 1:31 pm

Meeting in IAH

I'm not sure whether this is a better UA or Texas forum subject, but I'll start here.

I'm flying thru IAH with an approx 3 hour layover. From what I can see, historically the arriving flight uses Terminal C and the departing, Terminal E, both on UA. I'd like to meet a local friend landside somewhere for a brief visit. Suggestions where?
Old Aug 18, 2014, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by jc719
I'm not sure whether this is a better UA or Texas forum subject, but I'll start here.

I'm flying thru IAH with an approx 3 hour layover. From what I can see, historically the arriving flight uses Terminal C and the departing, Terminal E, both on UA. I'd like to meet a local friend landside somewhere for a brief visit. Suggestions where?
There is a number of hotels on (I *Think*) the JFK. I met a friend for lunch at one of them a few years back.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Ask him to pick you up at C baggage claim (or E if you end up there). He can wait at Will Clayton cell phone lot and will be pick-up point before you do if you call on landing. Best bet for decent food/drink is the huge cluster of restaurants mainly just north of FM1960 on either side of US59. There are restaurants off IH45, but you're more likely to get hung up in traffic. There's not much in the way of decent food in the immediate off-airport vicinity. Airport to 1960/59 restaurants less than 1/2 hour round-trip.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Aug 18, 2014 at 2:41 pm
Old Aug 18, 2014, 3:28 pm

Programs: MYOB
There is always the Airport Marriott. There is the underground (Mr Toad's Wild Ride) train that you could take from the terminal. The Marriott is one of the stops. Your friend could park (6.00) at the Marriott and would not have to meet you the terminal...or if they got there early, could take the tram over to meet you at bag claim of your terminal and ride back over with you to get more "face time". I'm assuming it is more about the visit than the food. The Marriott has both a diner, and a restaraunt that will get you fed. This will minimize your transit time so that you are not having to rush thru traffic to get back to security.

see "getting around" 1.b. the train is one level below bag claim. Stairs/Escalator/elevator

http://www.ifly.com/george-bush-inte...t/terminal-map

Marriott Restaraunts
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/hotel...ercontinental/

Of course - Option B - If they are a Club memebr, they can get a gate pass......or Buy a Y Fare (refundable) ticket for one of the late evening flights, and then refund it on their way out. Plenty of places to eat in Term E / C
Old Aug 18, 2014, 7:28 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by xzh445
There is always the Airport Marriott.
That would be my first choice.

But IAH-OIL-TRASH's suggestion is good as well.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 10:56 pm

Meeting friend during layover at IAH

My friend will be flying on United Airlines from Gulfport, Mississippi to Houston, Texas on December 21. She will fly on flight UA4588. Her flight arrives in Houston at 7:57 AM, and then she will fly out at 11:25 AM that morning. We plan to meet during this time, which is the reason for her long layover. Arriving in Terminal A that morning, where would be the place to meet her at? I will not be going through security as I will not be flying, so I need somewhere to meet that is outside security. She will need to head back through security and get to Terminal B to catch her departing flight. I have 2 questions: a) Where does she go after arriving in Terminal A to meet me? b) Where do I go after parking to go meet her? Thank you very much for any help!
Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:01 pm

My friend will be flying on United Airlines from Gulfport, Mississippi to Houston, Texas on December 21. She will fly on flight UA4588. Her flight arrives in Houston at 7:57 AM, and then she will fly out at 11:25 AM that morning. We plan to meet during this time, which is the reason for her long layover. Arriving in Terminal A that morning, where would be the place to meet her at? I will not be going through security as I will not be flying, so I need somewhere to meet that is outside security. She will need to head back through security and get to Terminal B to catch her departing flight. I have 2 questions: a) Where does she go after arriving in Terminal A to meet me? b) Where do I go after parking to go meet her? Thank you very much for any help!
Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, BA Gold, UA Gold MM, DL SM MM, Hyatt Glob, HH Diam, Marriott Ti/LT Plat, IHG Plat
These are the two smallest and least luxurious of the five terminals. But there's a Starbucks outside security at Terminal B. Your friend could take the intra-airport train from Terminal A to Terminal B before exiting security, meet you at Starbucks, then go back through security in Terminal B for her departing flight.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 12:04 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, BA Gold, UA Gold MM, DL SM MM, Hyatt Glob, HH Diam, Marriott Ti/LT Plat, IHG Plat
These are the two smallest and least luxurious of the five terminals. But there's a Starbucks outside security in Terminal B. Your friend could take the intra-airport train from Terminal A to Terminal B before exiting security, meet you at Starbucks, then go back through security in Terminal B to catch her departing flight.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: MS Plat, AOR ninja

Terminal A is very easy to get thru security. Another option would be for you to purchase a fully refundable ticket, go thru security and meet her when she arrives at the gate, then refund the ticket. I've done that in the past when I wanted to surprise my hubby at the gate.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 10:35 am

If you buy a refundable ticket please do not reserve a seat and pick a flight with a light load as late as possible same day. Also if this becomes popular the airlines will lobby TSA under the false excuse or guise of security to put a stop to this method.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.