Community
Wiki Posts
Search

speaking the country's language

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2014, 3:02 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by brendog
What if one's native language is English? Are they exempted from being worldly?
No but they can get by without having to learn another language.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HMO
But not exactly the 2nd most in population...
In fact, Canada sits at 38th in this case
Never claimed it was

Although, it does raise the question as to which the most widely (by landmass) spoken language is - Russia is the largest land mass, but with Canada, the US and Australia all in the top 5, it puts English ahead until you start looking at the slightly smaller countries and working it all out!
Old Nov 25, 2014, 9:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by KoKoBuddy
Meh.

Pretty much everyone under 50 everywhere in the world speaks at least some English these days. At least everyone under 50 who is well off enough to fly internationally.

Within a generation this "problem" will more or less take care of itself.

Nothing wrong with learning languages. But realistically speaking, if you speak English, it's all you need for business. It's the international business language. When a German and an Italian transact business, they do in English.

I remember when I was in high school in the 80s and there was a panic about Japan taking over. Seemed like overnight there was a mad rush to learn Japanese. My high school offered it an elective my senior year. Now it's same OMG OMG OMG we all have to learn Chinese. And wasn't the USSR supposed to dominate the world too at some point and knowing Russian would be important? Yeah I seem to recall that argument made as well.
How'd all that work out?
If you ever venture outside of venues heavilly patronised by foreigners,I think you would learn that this (evrybody speaking English) bears no resemblance at all to reality.It is true for certain Northern European countries like the Scandinavian countries and Holland,nowhere else is it even remotely close to reality unless you are talking abouth being able to ask somebody their age etc... On the other hand,learning a language at that levell serves no practicall purpose whatsoever for the traveller,so unless your willing to put some effort into it,your sort of stuck.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
I see people trying to "speak the language" thinking it makes for a better trip. If you actually do speak the language, it works. If you bought a "Speak Klingon in 30 minutes" CD you're just making a fool of yourself. People in tourist areas expect to deal with language issues.

I live about half the time in Thailand and it's hilarious listening to some people who bought the book and listened to the tape.
Originally Posted by exilencfc
In my experience (and I haven't been to Thailand, or anywhere else in the Far East for that matter) making an effort with the language gets you brownie points with the locals. It doesn't matter if you're rubbish, it's still viewed more favourably than not trying at all.
Originally Posted by callum9999
People always say that, but I always just get confused and frustrated looks when I attempt it!
Thai is difficult due to the tonal nature of the language. It is rare for someone to learn significant Thai from books or tapes. Having someone listen to and correct the tones of your speech is important.

I have learned quite a bit of Thai and have found it has enhanced my visits greatly. Even when starting out, my limited ability was a great ice breaker.

The premise holds, it is just more difficult to get to that first level of learning for an American trying a tonal language. All languages are not equal.

In contrast, I did the RosettaStone thing for some German and it was much more successful for picking up rudimentary / polite language skills.
(The Thai version of RosettaStone was useless.)

Much more germane to the topic though, I do find pre-recorded announcements to have value in the gate area. Usually I am not a fan, but when there are expected language barriers there is no reason not to have some boilerplate verbiage play over the PA system at the gate.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Thai is difficult due to the tonal nature of the language. It is rare for someone to learn significant Thai from books or tapes. Having someone listen to and correct the tones of your speech is important.

The premise holds, it is just more difficult to get to that first level of learning for an American trying a tonal language. All languages are not equal.

In contrast, I did the RosettaStone thing for some German and it was much more successful for picking up rudimentary / polite language skills.
(The Thai version of RosettaStone was useless.
In addition to the tones, most speakers get the length of the vowel wrong. A word with a short clipped vowel means something different than the same word with a longer vowel.

The famous "New wood doesn't burn, does it"? line always helps. To the European ear, it is simply "my my my my, my?" Add in tones and vowel length, those are different words. ไมไม่ไม้ไม๋ไม๊
Old Nov 25, 2014, 1:57 pm

[QUOTE=You want to go where?;23886269]

Yes, French's role is diminishing in importance. It used to the language of diplomacy, a role it now has to share. However, it still has a lot of speakers, and that number of speakers is growing not shrinking, unlike Russian or Japanese. It remains one of the major international languages and will be for some time to come because it is also widely spoken as a second language.

It isn't just number of speakers that makes a language important. Even though it now shares its dipomatic role with other languages, it remains one of the world's major diplomatic languages.

UN Languages: English, Spanish, Russian, Arabic, Chinese...and French.

EU Procedural Languages: English, German...and French.

It is one of the working languages of: OECD, NATO, ECOWAS, WTO, WIPO, WADA and FIFA.

All deliberations of rhe European Court of Justice are conducted in...French.

It is one of two official languages of the IOC.

It isn't dead yet - it isn't even sick.

French is passe.. that is simply a fact.

None of the institutions you mention - UN, EU, IOC etc..things are translated in French as a formality or as a procedurality. ALL Business and negotiations are done in English. Just because French appears on the list of the world bodies you mention, does not make it a vibrant and popular language. It has had its 15 minutes of fame and it is clearly over now.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by zoonil

French is passe.. that is simply a fact.

None of the institutions you mention - UN, EU, IOC etc..things are translated in French as a formality or as a procedurality. ALL Business and negotiations are done in English. Just because French appears on the list of the world bodies you mention, does not make it a vibrant and popular language. It has had its 15 minutes of fame and it is clearly over now.
Compared to English - yes. Compared to Portuguese, not so much. Also, I find it interesting that you used a French word - passé in your statement.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
In addition to the tones, most speakers get the length of the vowel wrong. A word with a short clipped vowel means something different than the same word with a longer vowel.

The famous "New wood doesn't burn, does it"? line always helps. To the European ear, it is simply "my my my my, my?" Add in tones and vowel length, those are different words. ไมไม่ไม้ไม๋ไม๊
Yes indeed. A lesson I remember well after once mispronouncing the Thai word for snow.

I still think it is useful to attempt some very common words, even in the tourist areas. You will get some props for the attempt and even the most butchered "Kop Kuhn Krap" would be understood.

Anyway, I will be back in Thailand in just a couple of days and very much looking forward to some good food and great people.

Cheers.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 4:59 pm

Programs: *G
French is hugely useful in Africa.

Had lots of difficulty with English in Russia. Even in StP. Of the 50+ countries I've been in, it was one of the toughest in terms of communication. And for sure the most surprising.

Sure I'd love to have good command of Russian, Portuguese, Arabic, Turkish, etc... will it payoff with my intl travel business-wise? Hardly. Practical to spend "a few weeks" on each? Not at all. Completely unrealistic expectation.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 7:59 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by deniah
French is hugely useful in Africa.

Had lots of difficulty with English in Russia. Even in StP. Of the 50+ countries I've been in, it was one of the toughest in terms of communication. And for sure the most surprising.

Sure I'd love to have good command of Russian, Portuguese, Arabic, Turkish, etc... will it payoff with my intl travel business-wise? Hardly. Practical to spend "a few weeks" on each? Not at all. Completely unrealistic expectation.
That is my problem as well. Over the past ten years, I would have had to learn over twenty languages if I was to be able to converse in the dominant language of the countries I have done business in. While I support the idea of learning the language of your client, when the world is your client, the first language you need to know is English. Once you move past English, the second language you learn really is location dependent. Spanish will help you very little in China, and Mandarin isn't any better in La Paz.

For parents who are wondering what language they should start their kids on, I would argue that it almost doesn't matter if they are native English speakers, so long as they learn a second language in depth at an early age. Learning a second language when you are young rewires your brain to be more receptive to acquiring additional languages when you are older. So, what kids are really learning is the ability to acquire languages as much as they are learning the language itself.

Last edited by You want to go where?; Nov 25, 2014 at 8:10 pm
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:44 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
It's an official language in nearly 40 countries...I'm not sure where you get your info.
29, not 40, and some of those are tiny, so whether or not you like it, French is arrogantly losing its dominance.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 3:50 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by Palal
29, not 40, and some of those are tiny, so whether or not you like it, French is arrogantly losing its dominance.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:28 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
"The bottom line is speaking only one language can be very inadequate nowadays for worldly travelers." Very true. I travel mainly for business, and am a native English speaker, but try to learn some rudiments of the language in each country I visit, just to be able to get around. The only language I really try to expand my knowledge of beyond the rudiments is French. I find that in the EU at least, most business can be conducted between French and English. I wish I had paid more attention to it when I was young.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
If you're confused about the use of the word "arrogantly", the word may be valid because of how French is used these days. If you have a US passport you'll see that it is in English and French. Do you know why? There is a treaty that says all passports will be in the native language plus either English or French. Why French? Because the French government demanded it and threatened to block the treaty. Nearly all countries that don't have English as the local language choose English as the second passport language. Arrogance in the French government is the only reason French is an official language in EU or UN documents.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
If you're confused about the use of the word "arrogantly", the word may be valid because of how French is used these days. If you have a US passport you'll see that it is in English and French. Do you know why? There is a treaty that says all passports will be in the native language plus either English or French. Why French? Because the French government demanded it and threatened to block the treaty. Nearly all countries that don't have English as the local language choose English as the second passport language. Arrogance in the French government is the only reason French is an official language in EU or UN documents.
Qui nous? Surely non...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.