Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Way to find a terminal or gate a few months ahead?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2014, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, QR

Is anybody aware of a web site or application that I can search a few months ahead for the terminal my flight is departing/arriving? I am doing a round the world trip with several stopovers in Asia, Africa, and Europe, and trying to check on lounge access and connecting times. Thanks.

Robbie
Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by Robbiemp
Is anybody aware of a web site or application that I can search a few months ahead for the terminal my flight is departing/arriving? I am doing a round the world trip with several stopovers in Asia, Africa, and Europe, and trying to check on lounge access and connecting times. Thanks.

Robbie
Terminals and gates used are subject to change, but Wikipedia pages for most airports accurately tell which terminal is used by each airline at a given airport, even broken down by which cities are served from each terminal if there are multiples.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 7:07 pm

And an airline could go out of business between now and the time you want to fly. Or the airline may not serve the airport you booked out of.

Its best to get an idea about 2 weeks or so before you travel and then again 24 hours when you go to print your boarding pass. And even when your at the airport the gate can change yet again.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 2:16 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Unless it is a very small airport you won't get exact gate until day of departure, and possibly not until an hour before departure.

Terminal is more predictable but not guaranteed.

Try looking up your flights on flightstats.com to get an indication of terminals used.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 8:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I wouldn't overthink it too much. You could research the heck out of this and then land at your first airport, park at a remote stand, and get taken on a bus to a different area of the terminal than you'd planned. Airport diagrams might show all the gates and airlines, but aren't clear on where exactly international arrivals/transfers have to go.

If you have a particular connection of concern...multi-airline, a little on the short side, then it's certainly worth looking into. Other'n that, just follow the signs and then look at a map for your lounge when you get to that point.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Unless it is a very small airport you won't get exact gate until day of departure, and possibly not until an hour before departure.

Terminal is more predictable but not guaranteed.

Try looking up your flights on flightstats.com to get an indication of terminals used.
This. Given how arrival and departure terminals can change on the fly, I think trying to figure this out months in advance is a waste of energy.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
As others have mentioned, gates and terminals are subject to change. Some airports have only one set of gates within a specific terminal for particular airlines. If an airline has a larger presence at an airport, it could have arrivals/departures across multiple terminals.

Check the airports against your airline(s) to get a sense of where your flights might be arriving/departing, but know that things could change as you get closer to departure.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, QR
Thank you all for the replies. My main concern was transferring from one airline to another.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 10:43 am

Before I even book a flight with connections, I search flightaware to get a feel for terminal arrivals and departures. You may see a pattern, of course it's unpredictable but it helps me decide how much of a layover I need to safely get from one terminal to another. I look up the individual airport, find their terminal maps to get the lay of the land.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.