How do You Use Your Miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do You Use Your Miles?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Some may deride my usage of miles/points for domestic travel
I've done a few domestic awards over the years (plus lots of Canada awards...same award basically, but with a little bit more tax).

Used to use US miles often when I needed to go to smaller northeast airports that were *never* available at a competitive fare from MCI. When I was Gold with them and held the credit card, it was 20,000 miles R/T and no fees other than the security fee.

Still use Avios for short domestic hops, including a last-minute MCI-ORD trip. There was a time when I would have laughed at the notion of using miles for MCI-CHI, but a $200 one-way fare vs. 4500 Avios changed my tune on that one.

Seattle in the summer can be a good spot for miles, although availability can be tight. San Diego anytime can be a good spot for miles...especially if you really want SAN proper, not SNA, LAX, or other airports.

Higher fares make for more logical domestic uses for miles, with the obvious caveat that seats can be hard to find at certain times...
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
I book flights with them...generally premium cabin longhauls. So far in 2014, I have flown: MNL-HKG-NRT-FRA-IAD-EWR, JFK-FRA-CDG-VIE-EVN, TBS-IST-CDG-EWR, JFK-FRA-ZRH-CDG-IST-TAS-ICN-PEK-EWR, LGA-CLT-GIG-IAH-EWR-BRU-FRA-ICN-PEK-ULN-PEK-BKK-CDG-MUC-EWR-YYZ-FRA-VIE-KIV, ORY-LHR-DXB, IKA-DOH-CDG, OTP-ZRH-CDG total of 92,186 miles flown for "free" thusfar. I still have a TBD Europe-N.America award on the books as well as JFK-FRA-PEK-HKG to end the year and SIN-HND, NRT-LAX to start 2015 booked.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:08 pm

I use them carefully! Unfortunately I can't use them fast enough. Plus, it is a bit more work to use them since I prefer flying out of a small airport where many of my miles don't work due to small carriers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.