Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

68 Turkish Nationals Lived in Kuala Lumpur Airport for Over A Month, Officials Did No

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

68 Turkish Nationals Lived in Kuala Lumpur Airport for Over A Month, Officials Did No

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2014, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

68 Turkish nationals lived in Kuala Lumpur Airport for over a month, and the Malaysian Airport officials had no clue, until three of them tried to breach the satellite terminal of KLIA.

Initial investigations reveal that the group had been living in the airport viewing gallery for more than a month. The group ranged from elderly to a 6 month old baby.

The Malaysian Police said that no one noticed them. The group had money. They slept on cloth on the floor, bathed and changed in the toilets.

Such a large group for more than a month - no one noticed them.

Makes you wonder about the security of that place.

http://londonproperty123.blogspot.sg...-in-kuala.html
Old Oct 6, 2014, 2:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by iluvcruising2
Makes you wonder about the security of that place.
Why? They were in a sterile area of the airport, so they presumably had been screened. Simply staying in such an area over X amount of time would not seem to increase the security risk. And,

Malaysian Airport officials had no clue, until three of them tried to breach the satellite terminal of KLIA.
it would appear that as soon as they did do something that affected security, they were immediately detected.

So it would appear to me that the airport security was correctly focusing its resources where they should be.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 4:27 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by iluvcruising2
68 Turkish nationals lived in Kuala Lumpur Airport for over a month, and the Malaysian Airport officials had no clue, until three of them tried to breach the satellite terminal of KLIA.
Turkish nationals? Most likely they were Uighurs from Western China claiming to be Turks or holding fake Turkish passports.
http://cogitasia.com/illegal-uighur-...outheast-asia/
Old Oct 6, 2014, 5:45 am

Agreed, the story they are Turks doesn't really check out.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steve M
Why? They were in a sterile area of the airport, so they presumably had been screened. Simply staying in such an area over X amount of time would not seem to increase the security risk. And,

it would appear that as soon as they did do something that affected security, they were immediately detected.

So it would appear to me that the airport security was correctly focusing its resources where they should be.
Yes, their resources are focussed where they should be.

However, by their own admission, they sent officers to patrol on the ground for squatters. So, by their own admission, they did not do a good job in identifying these squatters.

The bigger picture is this - wouldn't security be concerned if somebody stays in your transit area for longer than a typical person should? And I am not even talking about days or weeks now, it was more than a month.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 5:57 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Sjoerd
Turkish nationals? Most likely they were Uighurs from Western China claiming to be Turks or holding fake Turkish passports.
http://cogitasia.com/illegal-uighur-...outheast-asia/
Well possible, but most likely involving real Turkish passports. Turkish Uighurs and others aren't above playing the part sort of like a modern-day Raoul Wallenberg or Nicholas Winton.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 4:07 pm

I'm not saying it's a direct threat to security, but this is a lot like inviting some people over for a party, and then not noticing them taking up your extra bedroom in the basement until they decide they want a change of scenery and try to use the main floor restroom.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 9:26 pm

I tend to agree with you, with the exception that there were 68 of them, which is an exceptionally large number and probably should have raised a red flag somewhere along the month long period (also a significant amount of time).
Old Oct 7, 2014, 1:39 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CX HK
I tend to agree with you, with the exception that there were 68 of them, which is an exceptionally large number and probably should have raised a red flag somewhere along the month long period (also a significant amount of time).
I've seen many dozens of people who were stuck airside in the transit zone at SVO. Even the more paranoid Russian services seem to have accepted the reality of large groups of people being stuck for extended periods of time.

Given how bad even passport control type employees can be with positive and negative match identification for people of a different ethnicity than themselves who happen to change clothes every so often, can't say I'm surprised this could take place at an airport that is a major regional melting pot transit hub.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.