Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Thread: Ebola and Air Travel, Fall 2014.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM

Ok, so the NYT and other media report the CDC refuses to disclose which flights the Ebola victim currently in Dallas flew on. The article says the patient was on a commercial flight from Liberia to Dallas, which of course doesn't exist. Much commentary about why we permit direct flights to the good ol' USA from ebola zones.

Having been to Africa four times in the last 12 months I am ready for full-on media idiocy here, but at least get basic facts straight.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Oct 8, 2014 at 12:43 pm Reason: Repair formatting of post's title.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA - Plat
Ebola patient: "Commercial flight from Liberia to Dallas"

Surely we can figure out what flight he was on.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:49 pm

Yes I believe flyertalk members can figure this out. Or least a high probability. My guess is at minimum the final leg was American Airlines which is a real brainless guess.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I tell people I'm flying to Las Vegas next week. I don't consider myself an idiot because there's no PIT-LAS flights. The patient left Liberia and landed in DFW. As there doesn't appear to be a way to do so with less than 2 stops, I wouldn't expect a news report to point out a relatively trivial fact of connecting cities, especially if they are trying to not disclose what flight the patient was on.

If I had one bet, I'd say ROB-FNA-LHR-DFW on BA136/AA1504 - shortest 2-stopper I see. Or maybe ROB-FNA-LHR-JFK-DFW BA136/BA183/AA1886 which has 3 stops but is a couple of hours shorter.

But with 30+ hours at a minimum, there could be a 24 hr layover anywhere and all bets are off.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
There was a mention in one article that the CDC was trying to contact other passengers on his flight. If that's so, certainly at least one of them is going to post it to Facebook or tell a reporter for his 15 minutes of fame.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 3:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I haven't been following the ebola stuff so closely. Did DL suspend their ROB flight? That's an even easier way to DFW if it's still flying.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM

The CDC has said that he left on 9/19 and arrived on 9/20. So no massive layover likely. Why assume he flew AA?

Last edited by pduck01; Oct 1, 2014 at 3:53 am
Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by Centurion
Yes I believe flyertalk members can figure this out. Or least a high probability. My guess is at minimum the final leg was American Airlines which is a real brainless guess.
It seems like there are lots of possible flights to DFW, even Emirates for example (?)
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by CPRich
I tell people I'm flying to Las Vegas next week. I don't consider myself an idiot because there's no PIT-LAS flights. The patient left Liberia and landed in DFW. As there doesn't appear to be a way to do so with less than 2 stops, I wouldn't expect a news report to point out a relatively trivial fact of connecting cities, especially if they are trying to not disclose what flight the patient was on.

If I had one bet, I'd say ROB-FNA-LHR-DFW on BA136/AA1504 - shortest 2-stopper I see. Or maybe ROB-FNA-LHR-JFK-DFW BA136/BA183/AA1886 which has 3 stops but is a couple of hours shorter.

But with 30+ hours at a minimum, there could be a 24 hr layover anywhere and all bets are off.
I thought BA had suspended their ROB and FNA flights.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:22 am

I read somewhere the man arrived sept 20 via IAD, Brussels from Liberia.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Business travelers would probably pick the shortest duration, fewest connections, or their favorite airlines and connecting airports, but someone trying to purchase a cheap ticket or using an OLTA is more likely to have an unusual routing or combination of carriers from different alliances.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:56 am

Programs: UA Gold, VX Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, JPM Palladium
In a briefing, the director of the U.S. CDC said that the passenger showed no signs of being ill before boarding his flight/s and was not contagious, so there should have been no risk to other passengers.

A few quotes from the article...

“American Airlines does not fly to Africa and we have been told the passenger was not on a connecting flight involving our aircraft,” said spokeswoman Andrea Huguely, a spokeswoman for the Fort Worth-based carrier.

A spokesman for Dallas-based Southwest Airlines, which does not fly internationally, said the CDC has not contacted it and has “no information about Southwest being involved in any way.”

“The CDC has not shared specific patient information that would allow us to confirm whether the traveler’s itinerary involved United,” United Airlines spokeswoman Christen David said.
http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...-patient.html/
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Not to be insensitive or crass, but........I think I am beginning to smell "airfare wars" in the air---especially when everyone becomes hysterical over this one case and the hysteria begins to spread!
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I find today's CNN coverage of this to be disgraceful. There's a lot of uninformed speculation on the flights and general fear mongering.

Plus airline stocks (at least on USA markets) seem to be down 2-4% so far today. DJIA is down 200 points at this point.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:58 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
FNA-BRU and then assuming star..... could be BRU-ORD/EWR/IAD-DFW on some combo of SN/UA

FNA-CDG and then take your pick of DL/AF routings from there...

There's really no way for us to guess this one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.