Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carry-On Bag Restrictions - What's Up?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
FAA is cracking down on airlines regarding enforcement of baggage guidelines. Baggage guidelines are determined by the airline and is on file with the FAA. FAA requires airlines to follow the rule that they filed.

Each airline may have different policies filed with FAA whoch is why FAA directs you to the airlines site. AS for example puts the carry-on max as 10x17x24 while UA its 9x14x22
Old Oct 1, 2014, 5:46 am

Programs: Qantas FF
I'm always amazed at what is allowed as carry on on US airlines. But I'd be carrying not wheeling, if that matters to you. Personally, I check through. Why carry if you don't have to?
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:22 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by katie10
I'm always amazed at what is allowed as carry on on US airlines. But I'd be carrying not wheeling, if that matters to you. Personally, I check through. Why carry if you don't have to?
Every US and most other airlines warn passengers that they will not be responsible for lost or stolen valuables in checked luggage and that those items should be carried on in the cabin. In these days of heavy electronics use - phones, laptops, entertainment devices, camera gear, and on and on, it is just not realistic to check everything. On top of that, the incidence of general pilferage by security personnel or baggage handlers is so high that many of us would rather deal with limited in-cabin bag space than the hassles of lost or stolen property.

I trust the airlines to get a bag full of my used clothing to where I am going. I do NOT trust them to get my cameras and computer there.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Every US and most other airlines warn passengers that they will not be responsible for lost or stolen valuables in checked luggage and that those items should be carried on in the cabin.
Which is complete bulls--- to me. I don't know why airlines aren't held accountable for anything that I let them hold for me. It's a cop-out used by both the TSA and the airlines to say 'we aren't responsible'.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by mikekelley
Which is complete bulls--- to me. I don't know why airlines aren't held accountable for anything that I let them hold for me. It's a cop-out used by both the TSA and the airlines to say 'we aren't responsible'.
Be that as it may, the question was why so many carry on. This is one of the reasons.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For those flying Air Canada from Toronto, they have started a crackdown (as of yesterday) on carry ons - the number, the size and the weight, ahead of their new checked fees starting in November. Lots of unhappy folks!

23cm x 40cm x55cm and 10kg for standard article, 16cmx33cmx43cm and 10kg for personal item are the limits according to the news
Old Oct 1, 2014, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by mikekelley
Simple. The airline puts your bag on a conveyor and after that they have little or no control. Most theft from luggage is from air*port* employees, not air*line* employees. Certainly no one is down in the belly of the plane opening bags.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

painful news

pretty sure DL used to publish personal dimensions, a quote should be in one of my posts
Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:45 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The TSA doesn't determine cabin baggage allowance, but the airlines do determine their own cabin baggage polict which they file with a different part of the US Government; that airline-filed baggage policy gets rubber-stamped for the most part and then becomes binding on the airline unless and until the airline changes the policy and files a revised policy with the government with thst policy rubber stamped for approval and announced publicly.

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Simple. The airline puts your bag on a conveyor and after that they have little or no control. Most theft from luggage is from air*port* employees, not air*line* employees. Certainly no one is down in the belly of the plane opening bags.
All four sentences in the above quoted post are not generally true.

The first sentence in the post above is simply incorrect, as it is more complicated and diverse than represented above.

The second sentence in the post above is not generally true. The airlines are ultimately in charge of what gets into the hold of the plane and who places things in the hold; and in many smaller airports the airport doesn't handle the bags, but the airline staff and/or airline contractors do .... sometimes along with the TSA or its local functional equivalent.

The third sentence in the post above isn't uniformly the case across all markets. Refer to my prior paragraph for an indication of that diversity of operations.

The fourth sentence in the post above is not true, as even airlines like EL AL have had people opening bags in the belly of the plane.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 3, 2014 at 7:56 am
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
If everyone who had a carry-on plus a personal item put the personal item under the seat in front of them, then the size of the personal item wouldn't matter (as long as it fit under seat). But many do not. And I suspect the larger the personal item is, the greater the temptation to save legroom and put both bags in the bin.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:54 am

Programs: DL, UA, lotsa hotels
Originally Posted by emma69
For those flying Air Canada from Toronto, they have started a crackdown (as of yesterday) on carry ons - the number, the size and the weight, ahead of their new checked fees starting in November. Lots of unhappy folks!

23cm x 40cm x55cm and 10kg for standard article, 16cmx33cmx43cm and 10kg for personal item are the limits according to the news
Saw that too. My carry on rollerbag is exactly the maximum dimensions when empty (except the 10 kg so I won't be stuffing it or unzipping the expansion. For United it's just slightly too large, but I haven't been hassled about it yet. I haven't seen anyone checking carry-on dimensions at United gates and some of the carry-ons definitely have been a lot bigger than mine!

I also have a roller-briefcase, and it is also exactly the same as the AC personal item dimensions. Not planning to bring it on the upcoming trip but when I do bring it along I sometimes check the larger roller, even though I could bring it on board. Of course, it helps that I can expense bag check fees.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:56 am
HMO

Originally Posted by swag
If everyone who had a carry-on plus a personal item put the personal item under the seat in front of them, then the size of the personal item wouldn't matter (as long as it fit under seat). But many do not. And I suspect the larger the personal item is, the greater the temptation to save legroom and put both bags in the bin.
I suspect it's also tied at the available space at the bins. The temptation increases if there are plenty of space, and the other pax usually won't find about the lack of courtesy up to the destination.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Originally Posted by HMO
I suspect it's also tied at the available space at the bins. The temptation increases if there are plenty of space, and the other pax usually won't find about the lack of courtesy up to the destination.
Back in Y where I sit, I often see this. Those who board when there's space overhead put two items up there and then sit tight later when the FA asks people to put their personal item under the seat in order to make room for the later boarders' bags.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Earlier in September, I was returning back to SNA from FLR, and my first flight was on LH Cityline. At check-in, I was informed that I needed to check my roller (it meets the UA requirements as well as the LH requirements) all the way through to SNA because apparently, LH Cityline only allows 1 bag per passenger with no additional for a "personal item." On the way into FLR, I was on LH Cityline from FRA where there was no such requirement.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 2:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by swag
It would also be better (and fairer) if underseat space was equally divided.

Some configurations leave the window/aisle space divided by a seat strut. Other configurations take up virtually all the underseat space with entertainment hardware.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.