Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

(Should Flight Attendants Reserve) Overhead space in domestic first?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2014, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, Marriott BonVoy Titanium

I sometimes board the flight very late when I fly first class as I don't want to wait in the group 1 lane. I have seen some flight attendants actively trying to keep overhead space available for the last first class passengers, others don't seem to care.

Wouldn't it be obvious to keep an eye on the first class overhead space, so you can accommodate every first class passenger, who almost always have a carry-on? There is almost always a way to make some slight re-arrangements of smaller bags to accommodate one extra carry-on.

I asked the purser today and he said it's not in their training manuals, the space is first come first serve.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 4, 2014 at 6:09 pm Reason: thread title needed help
Old Sep 4, 2014, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some do their best to reserve space for F passengers but it is not guaranteed. I have also seen those bins fill up by just the F passengers stuff. If you want to make sure you have overhead space, you need to get there earlier.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
They have enough on their hands Pre-flight. I don't think it is reasonable to expect them to baby seat bin space.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 6:18 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by denuaflier
They have enough on their hands Pre-flight. I don't think it is reasonable to expect them to baby seat bin space.
Dead on. Take care of yourself
Old Sep 4, 2014, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Baze
I have also seen those bins fill up by just the F passengers stuff. If you want to make sure you have overhead space, you need to get there earlier.
This. In fact it's very common. I board early and often see the last F passenger unable to find space, with only F baggage. And I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but this usually includes a couple people who put two bags in the overhead, because of course the rules don't apply to them.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, Marriott BonVoy Titanium
Originally Posted by manstein58
Dead on. Take care of yourself
I disagree. They should do their best to at least see if they can keep space for every first class passenger. It's first class after all and I always pay 1st class. It should not be 1st class but hurry up because we charge people to check their bags so you may not get space for your bag.

Last edited by goalie; Sep 4, 2014 at 8:17 pm Reason: Personal attack removed
Old Sep 4, 2014, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by points_maniac
I sometimes board the flight very late when I fly first class as I don't want to wait in the group 1 lane. I have seen some flight attendants actively trying to keep overhead space available for the last first class passengers, others don't seem to care.

Wouldn't it be obvious to keep an eye on the first class overhead space, so you can accommodate every first class passenger, who almost always have a carry-on? There is almost always a way to make some slight re-arrangements of smaller bags to accommodate one extra carry-on.

I asked the purser today and he said it's not in their training manuals, the space is first come first serve.
I do think that they should be making sure that only first class passengers are using it. I see Coach passengers trying to park their bags in first class so they don't have to carry them all the way to the back.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
I do think that they should be making sure that only first class passengers are using it. I see Coach passengers trying to park their bags in first class so they don't have to carry them all the way to the back.
I used to see this regularly but not recently. I'm usually around 90 flights a year, maybe 55-60 in F, and can't recall seeing it in at least a year.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 6:44 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K, 1 Million Miler, AA ExPlat
Flight attendants on UAL used to watch for this with the old boarding process....when first class boarded ahead of everyone else and was not part of group 1. Guess that went away with the other benefits of us over-entitled HVF's.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by points_maniac
I disagree. They should do their best to at least see if they can keep space for every first class passenger. It's first class after all and I always pay 1st class. It should not be 1st class but hurry up because we charge people to check their bags so you may not get space for your bag.
Tthere isn't always space for your bag when you are the last one in F to board. And how you got there is inconsequential to deserving the space. Advice still stands, if you want to guarantee you get overhead space you need to get there earlier.

Last edited by goalie; Sep 4, 2014 at 8:20 pm Reason: Removed personal attack and edited quoted post
Old Sep 4, 2014, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JBord
I used to see this regularly but not recently. I'm usually around 90 flights a year, maybe 55-60 in F, and can't recall seeing it in at least a year.
I see it once in a while, and see no reason why the overheads in F shouldn't be reserved. More "space" for passengers flying first is not just for their hips. I do believe once all F pax are loaded extra space should definitely be used to accommodate those who need.

When I am sitting in F and see someone in Zone 3 or 4 walk on, eye an open spot, put their bag above row 2 and mosey on back to row 30 it confuses me (zipping up my flame suit)....it's not their seat.

I frequently see FA's blocking space for those in row's 7 and 8 (a,b,c,f) on a 752. Why not F PAX?
Old Sep 4, 2014, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel
Flight attendants on UAL used to watch for this with the old boarding process....when first class boarded ahead of everyone else and was not part of group 1. Guess that went away with the other benefits of us over-entitled HVF's.
Actually, this was a PMCO process, not PMUA
Old Sep 4, 2014, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Some DL aircraft have "first class customers only" written inside the overhead bins, which is a bit strange (don't F pax get seats?).
Old Sep 4, 2014, 8:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
They absolutely should try to preserve the F overhead space. Both as a perk and for practical reasons. F pax cannot conveniently store their bags in the Y cabin.

It doesn't take much of an effort for the FA's to keep the F bins closed during boarding. I see them do this about half the time.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
They absolutely should try to preserve the F overhead space. Both as a perk and for practical reasons. F pax cannot conveniently store their bags in the Y cabin.

It doesn't take much of an effort for the FA's to keep the F bins closed during boarding. I see them do this about half the time.
+1

I. When I am traveling first I do expect bin space. Good thing I am always quick to board.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.