Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do you switch airlines to avoid going through certain cities?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:09 am
Original Poster

With winter approaching, I am reminded by just how fun Chicago airport is in the winter. And I got to thinking that maybe I should really consider another airline so that I could avoid going through Chicago.

Do you switch airlines, after you have 440k+ miles, platinum status, and their $450/yr annual fee card for club access, just to avoid certain airports?

As much as I don't enjoy Detroit per se, if I had to debate on DTW vs. ORD in the winter. I just know that the Delta flight going to/from DTW is going to have less interruptions.

And then there is Southwest, 1 hour drive one way to their airport. But the options they have "out of this region" are good enough to get me on my way in the event of bad weather, right? Plus they seem to be able to round-up crews in bad weather. And who can hate on always flying on a 737 vs the regional planes I am forced to ride with the legacy carriers?

How about that GRR-DFW in a ERJ145 flight? I appreciate its ability to get me to a major AA hub, but it is still like 3 hours in a ERJ145........

So this boils down to again, do you switch carriers (e.g. Delta, because the DTW flights will operate with better reliability than anything going through ORD)?
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I connect via EWR only as a last resort, and never regional-to-mainline.

But bad hubs are only one factor in a balanced assessment of an airline's total value proposition. In my view problems at ORD are not reason enough to drop United. There are about 15 as good or better reasons to drop United.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BearX220
I connect via EWR only as a last resort, and never regional-to-mainline.

But bad hubs are only one factor in a balanced assessment of an airline's total value proposition. In my view problems at ORD are not reason enough to drop United. There are about 15 as good or better reasons to drop United.
I figured there might be similar mistrust in airport reliability in weather prone areas. I was thinking SFO probably has issues with the fog quite regularly as well. And yes, I have seen EWR backup over a sprinkle in the sky. With that said, I think I should reconsider somethings in my travel. (the reason for this post).

Options;

1. Drive to another airport with service from SW + more routes from AA, start getting those business select 12 point per dollar spent earnings (where you earn a free one way for every $1000ish you spend). Delta and United also service this airport as well. But I have no status with either of them.

2. Consider Delta. They fly through DTW out of my local airport. I can get to most everywhere from DTW (similar to ORD) that I need to. I don't like their mileage program really. I know their planes are newer, and they also have their mileage program. Which as a business traveler, regularly spending $500-900 a week on airfare, I may benefit from their recent change-up.

I could easily hit the MQM requirement for a gold challenge with Delta in 90 days. (I think it was like...12 MQM?). And for this year already I am at 56 segments on AA alone (58 after tonight). Not to mention a few segments on Southwest. I already stay at Starwood properties quite a bit, so Delta is starting to look more attractive everyday.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 11:04 am

In Yorp, lots of people avoid having to transit any US airport even when going to various parts of South America
Old Sep 1, 2014, 11:33 am

Programs: DL,EK
Just today I spent time working to avoid Paris.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
I bought miles just to avoid a transit at PEK. Comparing the horror stories of PEK versus the breeze that was NRT, I consider it money well spent. Edit: The change to ANA from UA was an added bonus. ANA's J sake is the draught of angels.

Last edited by Amelorn; Sep 1, 2014 at 2:26 pm
Old Sep 1, 2014, 2:23 pm

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
I fly AKL-LHR fairly often.

I will use any airline (except Malaysia Air) or route, in order to avoid LAX
Old Sep 1, 2014, 2:50 pm

I more commonly switch cities to avoid certain airlines.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, AA GLD, DL FO, Natl Elite
I'm thinking I shouldn't fly DL through ATL in the summer any more.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 3:47 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by celle

Did you fly with MH before this year?
Old Sep 3, 2014, 4:13 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by celle

Really? AKL-LHR on NZ is probably the quickest and easiest way to travel that route. No change of aircraft, so you don't have to worry about missing a connection, no customs check, and a separate transit lounge to wait in.

I'd be curious to hear more about your reasoning on this one.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
So glad DL has added SEA since I hate both SFO and LAX (bye-bye UA). SFO because of the wierd layout and looooong lines moving from international to domestic. LAX because (most of the time) having to exit the secure area between terminals, and, well, just because it's LAX.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 7:54 am

Programs: DL GM
I live in the NW USA and cover the territory that's roughly everything west of the Mississippi. I've learned to eschew UA in order to avoid weather delays at SFO, DEN, and ORD. I've had better results flying Delta via their SLC and MSP hubs. More DL flights out of SEA will be a welcome addition.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
I am another one who avoids LAX.

When I travel to Asia, I use either SFO or YVR as my gateway hub.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 12:20 pm

In general I try to avoid TBIT at LAX. Both departing and arriving. I've heard that things have gotten better though. Maybe I should reconsider.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.