Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No idea where to travel over Christmas

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

I'd like to fly out of DFW or DAL from December 23rd (or late on the 22nd) until January 4th to fly wherever with my wife. Compared to most of you guys, my wife and I are not that well traveled and have only been to Western Europe and Hong Kong. I'm really open to traveling anywhere but was looking at the Caribbean because we've never been somewhere tropical before. I've got about 100,000 points to spend through CSP but United/Star Alliance doesn't have much availability around those dates for obvious reasons. I'm willing to pay cash but I would like to spend less than $600 per person if possible. Really I'm just looking for any advice on where you'd go in my shoes. If it makes a difference we're into history, food, and culture.

I'm not sure where this really belongs but I feel it is a travel question more than miles or points so I put it here. Thanks for any feedback.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 12:07 am

My post probably isn't too credible considering I've never traveled outside the US before, but I do know that if you like history, food, and culture as you said, South America would be a good choice. I've been told that it can be fairly cheap and all of the countries down there have a huge history. Their culture is also vastly different from anything in the United States. The food there is unique to each country as well.

Once again my word probably isn't too credible considering I'm simply going off my knowledge in geography and culture studies compared to someone who has actually traveled to countries rich is history, food, and culture.

Anyhow, I hope you find a nice place for you and your wife to enjoy!
Old Aug 23, 2014, 12:22 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. I used ITA to try to find cheap flights to Central America (searched San Jose Costa Rica + 500 miles) and the best result was Panama with flights for about $700 but with Spirit. I'm unsure but I think farther south will just be more expensive. Anyone know a cheap destination in Central or South America or one with United award availability?
Old Aug 23, 2014, 12:22 am

Programs: UA Platinum

Isla Mujeres or Tulum, both near Cancun, Mexico. Mayan ruins and great food in a tropical setting.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by TH310
Isla Mujeres or Tulum, both near Cancun, Mexico. Mayan ruins and great food in a tropical setting.
I feel like Cancun is an overrated spot nowadays. I'm sure it's really great and all, but the amount of tourists always there would take away from the local experience in my opinion.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 1:17 am

Programs: American, Hawaiian, United
Hawaii-Tropical with everything you need
Old Aug 23, 2014, 3:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
If you want to use the miles, usually I've found foreign partners much easier to redeem on than UA itself. Does Avianca, TACA, or Copa happen to fly into DFW? All of them could get you to some pretty amazing places if so.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TH310
I hadn't thought of Cancun, pretty cheap. Thanks for the idea.
Originally Posted by Crandall
Hawaii-Tropical with everything you need
Unfortunately Hawaii is really, really expensive around that date.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by omghaxcode
I'd like to fly out of DFW or DAL from December 23rd (or late on the 22nd) until January 4th to fly wherever with my wife. Compared to most of you guys, my wife and I are not that well traveled and have only been to Western Europe and Hong Kong. I'm really open to traveling anywhere but was looking at the Caribbean because we've never been somewhere tropical before. I've got about 100,000 points to spend through CSP but United/Star Alliance doesn't have much availability around those dates for obvious reasons. I'm willing to pay cash but I would like to spend less than $600 per person if possible. Really I'm just looking for any advice on where you'd go in my shoes. If it makes a difference we're into history, food, and culture.

I'm not sure where this really belongs but I feel it is a travel question more than miles or points so I put it here. Thanks for any feedback.
IMO it's a little late to be looking for "cheap" at Christmas time. Christmas travel normally isn't cheap and those sites that do have some cheap travel fill up 6 months ahead of time.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, National EE
I always get pretty good rates on the 25th, at least domestically, if you are willing to delay your trip for a few days.

$600 probably doesn't get you far. I think the Carribean islands are nicer or as others mentioned Mexico.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 3:50 pm

Have you checked Spirit? We flew them out of DFW to CUN. Do they show up on itamatrix?

Many places you go will be very crowded.

Consider renting a timeshare on redweek or something similar.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Shane94M
I feel like Cancun is an overrated spot nowadays. I'm sure it's really great and all, but the amount of tourists always there would take away from the local experience in my opinion.
Yeah Cancun is very full BUT there are a ton of quiet places near there.

Drive times from CUN:
Akumal - 75 minutes
Tulum - 2 hours
Puerto Morelos - 20 Minutes

Those are all incredible places to stay that won't break the bank.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 2:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
For that particular week, I would avoid anything tropical unless it's so far off the beaten path that western holiday schedules don't matter. If you can delay until Jan 4-11 (give or take), then I'd go tropical...Yucatan if you're interested in Mayan history, or farther south if you just want warm beaches.

If you absolutely *must* travel on those dates, then at this point in the game you're looking for places where Christmas/New Year's isn't a peak travel period. *Or* a city big enough that the tourist influx isn't greater than the usual business travel demand the city would get. (For example, I've spent a New Year's in D.C. and had a great time...the place had emptied out of its usual business travelers and we had our pick of many of the good hotels at off-peak rates.)

SoCal interest you? We did a New Year's trip out there one year and had no issue finding reasonably-priced flights, hotels, and rental car. Many airports to consider for flights...there's bound to be *something*.

We also did a Florida (TPA) trip one year for New Year's, but these days FL airfares are downright batcrap insane. Besides, for food/culture you might be looking for something else.

Or you could go totally against the grain and go to a northern city. Toronto, Montreal, Boston, etc. (I'd avoid NYC...) Do you own winter gear?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.