elite status and a sense of entitlement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

elite status and a sense of entitlement

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2014, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Completely disagree that "this is obvious to everybody already, the fact people want to get elite status so they can feel better than everybody else stuck in that 'cattle class'."

That is a very idiosyncratic view. I think most people want elite status so that they can feel better than they would if they were in cattle class. I flew economy international for years. I wanted to get into business class because I wanted out of the bad seat, bad service, and unpleasant experience. I never give any thought to where I stood vis a vis anyone else, only how relieved I would be to land at CDG, LHR, FRA or wherever after a few hours of rest.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 1:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Renaldo
"What words to choose to not be thought of as condescending................not look down at those lowly people with no status who fly in Y."
Lowly people?
Originally Posted by Artpen100
Completely disagree that "this is obvious to everybody already, the fact people want to get elite status so they can feel better than everybody else stuck in that 'cattle class'."

That is a very idiosyncratic view. I think most people want elite status so that they can feel better than they would if they were in cattle class. I flew economy international for years. I wanted to get into business class because I wanted out of the bad seat, bad service, and unpleasant experience. I never give any thought to where I stood vis a vis anyone else, only how relieved I would be to land at CDG, LHR, FRA or wherever after a few hours of rest.
I look at it this way: *I* don't personally feel like I look down on anyone else, but I definitely think the airlines themselves do - and actively demonstrate it at every possible customer touchpoint.

And over time, by firmly establishing that culture and expectation that infrequent travelers are to be treated purposely badly at all times, I'm not surprised that some elite travelers start to think that way (even subconsciously) as well.

To me, this aspect has almost nothing to do with the quality of the respective hard products in Y, J, or F. It's all about how airline employees treat people every day, and how other people see and react to that treatment.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 2:25 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I've flown first-class this year as well, using Avios points to get tickets on BA to London. And business on ANA and SQ. But on those flights I didn't have status.
When you buy a ticket in Business or First Class there isn't much point to worrying about whether or not you have frequent flier status. Those premium tickets include most of the benefits elites get-- preferred security lines, early boarding, greater baggage allowance, etc.

I would happily fly Business on an airline I have zero status with if my preferred carrier didn't fly there, or had a poor schedule, or were significantly more expensive.

What I realized is that status does mean something.
It means I don't wait in line, I get to cut in line, even though my parents taught me that is wrong.
You are not "cut[ting] in line". You are using a shorter line because you paid the airline extra for the privilege of doing so.

Maybe this is obvious to everybody already, the fact people want to get elite status so they can feel better than everybody else stuck in that "cattle class".
That idea that people buy premium tickets or pursue status just so they can lord it over the less fortunate is nonsense. It's a sour-grapes excuse made up by people who are envious of their wealthier neighbors.

The fact is, people buy premium tickets and chase status so that they can have a more comfortable travel experience. That's all it's about.

Sure, there are some snobby people who enjoy making snide remarks about the "lesser people" riding in the back, often within their earshot. But that's an individual character flaw, not a consequence of buying an expensive ticket. I've seen the same snobby people treating everyone around themselves as lower class even when standing on a busy street corner pushing the button for the walk signal.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
What I realized is that status does mean something.
It means I don't wait in line, I get to cut in line, even though my parents taught me that is wrong.
Nope. You board with your group but if there are others who are entitle to board at the same time as you, you don't get to cut the line.

But it also means I get annoyed when AS announces (on their little Q400 flights) that because of the delays because handicapped passengers had to board they are going to allow everybody to board at the same time. So I just wait in line like everybody else.
Handicapped always boards first. I've never seen an airline announce that since handicapped boarding took too long it's every man for himself.

It means I get annoyed ....
You sure seem to get annoyed a lot.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 2:35 pm
Suspended

I flew first class for the first time recently. I don't travel a lot compared to most FT members - 2-3x, east coast to west coast USA. So I supplemented with points from CCs.

Anyways, the FA asked me if it was my first time. Apparently saying please and thank you gave me away as not a normal business traveler, hehe.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: *G
blah blah blah. dont project your musings on others.

when i came down with a fever sunday on my flight home, was glad to have abbreviated lines, a beeline to the lounge where i can have a bite of snack due to inopportune time for real meal, and most of all absolute peace and quiet despite the thrumming in my head

oh, also chance to look down upon the peasants during pre-board....
....get real man
Old Aug 22, 2014, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
In the airline sphere, some ... talk on FT mocking "the great unwashed," "the Kettles," "those people back in steerage," etc. Which is equal to laughing while driving your BMW past your Chevy-owning peers and splashing mud on them.
Not equal, I'd say.

A luxury good, like a BMW, associates with wealth. Wealth may be achieved through any number of ignoble means and, therefore, is not respected in itself.

Airline status associates with importance. Frequent travelers are influential academics and businessmen. Often not wealthy (professors, for example) but respected in society.

Most people are neither wealthy nor important. Given the choice of appearing wealthy or appearing important, many would choose to appear important. Importance is what elite status conveys -- and what BMW ownership doesn't convey.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by davie355
... Airline status associates with importance. Frequent travelers are influential academics and businessmen. Often not wealthy (professors, for example) but respected in society.
I would strongly suggest that frequent travelers represent a lot more points on the professional and societal spectrum than "influential academics and businessmen"

Originally Posted by davie355
Most people are neither wealthy nor important. Given the choice of appearing wealthy or appearing important, many would choose to appear important. Importance is what elite status conveys -- and what BMW ownership doesn't convey.
not quite ... I would suggest that airline status is, to many, an artifact that increases their sense of self-importance ... and one that they expect others to acknowledge, to validate their feelings
Old Aug 22, 2014, 8:54 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by jrl767
I would strongly suggest that frequent travelers represent a lot more points on the professional and societal spectrum than "influential academics and businessmen"

not quite ... I would suggest that airline status is, to many, an artifact that increases their sense of self-importance ... and one that they expect others to acknowledge, to validate their feelings
^ Frequent flyers are indeed from many, many walks of life - heck just being around FT for awhile shows that.

Say, whatever happened to the OP?
Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sunnyzip
He probably got annoyed here too.....:-)
All about being able to say DYKWIA.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Status...no status. Flying commercial airlines will never beat netjets.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 3:40 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
My great "Sense of entitlement" moment occurs when I fly business/first class, exit the plane, and then see that we have to take one of those buses to the terminal. You mean I have to wait for people in economy class to exit the plane and get on the bus? It ruins my whole day.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 9:08 am

Programs: UA Silver
Comparing it to a "lower class" does not make a whole lot of sense to me. This isn't an elite ruling class you've been born into. It's a set of benefits you've paid for by flying more frequently than the average person. By sticking with one airline and not picking the cheapest option every time, you have essentially purchased a more tolerable experience. So yes, it does make sense to be a little annoyed when you get a little short changed on those benefits, within reason.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 9:28 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by pinniped

In 2014, I look at status as a necessary means to simply obtain passable customer service that airlines really should provide *everyone*, but don't. Elite status is now the basic ticket to entry to a barely-tolerable experience, with non-status used as a tool of punishment to others.

Because I'm elite, I reach perhaps AT&T-quality customer service. Because you are non-elite, you get Comcast-quality customer service. That's about the difference.
The unifying theme being that you'll inevitably be on the phone with customer service...
Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:38 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by sonofzeus
Status...no status. Flying commercial airlines will never beat netjets.
Heck, if we want to get into really exclusive flyers, there are 12 guys who have us all beat...

You can almost feel the sense of entitlement as he's glaring down at us peasants on "Earth"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.