Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

FA asked me to stop watching movie because of passenger complaint.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2014, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Hello

I was flying from X airline on a long haul international from Europe to X country. I'm a male in my mid 30s. I was flying in economy class on the window sear and a older female lady was seated next to me. During our flight there no communication between us

One of the movies I was watching was Nonstop. Shortly in the movie the kady seated next to me asked me what it was. I told her its some new movie by Liam Neeson. A short time later one of the flight attendant asked if I could watch something else as it is making my fellow passenger uncomfortable. I found it a bit ridiculous and asked her what's wrong with the movie. FA said nothing wrong but they will appreciate if I just change it. Anyways I found the whole thing nonsense. If she was uncomfortable she should have asked me. It was humiliating to involve the flight attendant. I would have changed it with no problems if she simply asked me.

I told the FA that I don't feel its right to ask me to do something when I'm not doing wrong. I was told that if I want I can switch the seat. The plane was full so they wanted me to sit in some middle seat. However I specifically requested window seat. I asked the FA if the lady has some problem maybe they should switch her instead of me but this was denied.

in the end I just stopped the movie as I felt no point arguing or escalating this matter or making it a big deal since people were already staring at me weirdly.

Can the FA really ask you to stop watching something which is already on their entertainment system?

Is this height of paranoia or what? I have withheld the airline name as I'm going to write them and willing to give them benefit of doubt.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Dafuq
Hello

I was flying from X airline on a long haul international from Europe to X country. I'm a male in my mid 30s. I was flying in economy class on the window sear and a older female lady was seated next to me. During our flight there no communication between us

One of the movies I was watching was Nonstop. Shortly in the movie the kady seated next to me asked me what it was. I told her its some new movie by Liam Neeson. A short time later one of the flight attendant asked if I could watch something else as it is making my fellow passenger uncomfortable. I found it a bit ridiculous and asked her what's wrong with the movie. FA said nothing wrong but they will appreciate if I just change it. Anyways I found the whole thing nonsense. If she was uncomfortable she should have asked me. It was humiliating to involve the flight attendant. I would have changed it with no problems if she simply asked me.

I told the FA that I don't feel its right to ask me to do something when I'm not doing wrong. I was told that if I want I can switch the seat. The plane was full so they wanted me to sit in some middle seat. However I specifically requested window seat. I asked the FA if the lady has some problem maybe they should switch her instead of me but this was denied.

in the end I just stopped the movie as I felt no point arguing or escalating this matter or making it a big deal since people were already staring at me weirdly.

Can the FA really ask you to stop watching something which is already on their entertainment system?

Is this height of paranoia or what? I have withheld the airline name as I'm going to write them and willing to give them benefit of doubt.
What movie were you watching?
Old Aug 20, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
That'd had bothered me too -why didn't she asked you from the start instead f involving the FA?

I'd have stopped watching Nonstop and would've put on Games of Thrones or something with heavy scenes like that.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Originally Posted by djtsukasa
Hello

One of the movies I was watching was Nonstop.
I guess she thought it was a documentary.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by djtsukasa
I'm guessing it was Nonstop that did it.

And I can understand that a movie about inflight terrorism might be a little heavy for some... on an airplane. I'd be surprised if that movie is on many airlines' IFE movie list. Indeed, a guy was watching it on his laptop on a recent flight and I thought that some nervous flyers might feel a little squeamish.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:14 am

As this on the IFE system or your own tablet?

If it was on the IFE system you shouldn't feel bad at all for watching it and would be perfectly justified in continuing to watch. But, in the interest of defusing the situation, turning if off would be an option.

If it was on your own tablet, it is a bit different. While a grown woman should have no issue simply not looking at your screen, if the images are particulalry violent or sexual it is probably in bad taste to make those visible to others, given the tight quarters in a Y cabin.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:14 am

Programs: BA Silver
I would have turned it off , then put on Air crash investigation
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:17 am
Original Poster

It was on their system. I did turned it off. I wasn't in the mood to escalate the situation. I never do that with cops or FA's. Besides it wouldn't help much as she was a white female and Im a south Asian. People will automatically assume I'm the bad guy so no point arguing.

I immediately complied
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:21 am

Perhaps the seatmate could simply choose not to be looking
at your screen so often and keep their eyes on their own screen.

Anyone who complains about what I am viewing on my iPad simply
gets told to stop snooping on my screen.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
It was on their system. I did turned it off. I wasn't in the mood to escalate the situation. I never do that with cops or FA's. Besides it wouldn't help much as she was a white female and Im a south Asian. People will automatically assume I'm the bad guy so no point arguing.
I immediately complied
Wow. As it was on the IFE, the FA was totally out of line. Wise not to escalate the situation in the air. But I would definitely complain to the airline. Depending on the airline, you can expect some type of compensation.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Admirals Club, Marriott PLT Premier, Hertz President's Circle
This is hilarious - I was on a flight from DFW-MEM this past Saturday morning & watched the same movie (Redbox/laptop) and was thinking about that exact scenario the entire time. Fortunately I had the row to myself.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
When I first saw the trailers for Nonstop, I couldn't help but think "I'll wait and watch it on IFE."
Old Aug 20, 2014, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
How ridiculous. If it's on the airline's IFE, it's fair game.

The airline is the one who should be called out for something "offensive," if it even fits that definition.

I think there have been a few threads of people complaining about the IFE, but that seems to be ones where it's a shared screen and then it's someone who wants it turned off for the whole aircraft.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 12:38 pm

Programs: EK - Silver; Accor - Silver; O6 - Gold; BAEC - Silver; Flying Blue; SPG; Krisflyer

I immediately complied
Based on the what you have described, I would not have turned it off (and I'm also an Asian).

It it's on the IFE list, then the lady can only "request" that you stop watching. At no time can they say you "MUST" stop watching. If the lady was uncomfortable with it, she can be advised to make a complain to the airline for allowing the movie on the flight. But at no time can she demand you (even vie 3rd party) to inconvenient yourself for her sake, after all you are a paying customer with the same rights as she does.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 12:55 pm

Sounds like you effectively had no IFE for this flight. Could ask for something...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.